U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 04:09 PM

2,839 posts, read 6,637,349 times

Advertisements

Blue, your kid are vaccinated, right? So you really have nothing to worry about if an unvaccinated child goes near your child, which probably happens fairly regularly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2010, 05:23 PM

2,596 posts, read 6,393,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TouchOfWhimsy View Post
Blue, your kid are vaccinated, right? So you really have nothing to worry about if an unvaccinated child goes near your child, which probably happens fairly regularly.
My kids are vaccinated. That doesn't mean they are necessarily "protected" if they didn't seroconvert. This typical "comeback" shows a lack of understanding in how vaccine programs work and the role of herd immunity in protecting populations from vaccine preventable illness.

The reason diseases like pertussis are making a comeback is due to the negligence of parents who "think" they know what is best in regards to vaccines.

Vaccines are a matter of public health not personal choice.

Old 08-02-2010, 05:33 PM

2,839 posts, read 6,637,349 times
Can you have them titered, blue? My physician recommends having my children titered for measles and varicella to avoid needlessly exposing them to more vaccines. (They have both been exposed to chicken pox several times, but never developed them, leading us to believe that they are immune, probably because I had shingles when my youngest was a baby.) I do understand herd immunity, but am not willing to put my own children at risk unnecessarily, especially if they are already immune to certain diseases.

Old 08-02-2010, 05:36 PM

4,267 posts, read 3,108,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
The reason diseases like pertussis are making a comeback is due to the negligence of parents who "think" they know what is best in regards to vaccines.
Actually, pertussis is making a comeback because at least two of the most common strains have mutated, making the vaccination ineffective.

Short Sharp Science: Why whooping cough's making a comeback

Old 08-02-2010, 09:03 PM

942 posts, read 841,620 times
I don't think there is necessarily a correlation between people who refuse vaccines and people who have healthy life habits. Plenty of health conscious people also vaccinate because they believe it is a fundamental part of staying healthy. I definitely plan on fully vaccinating my future kids and teaching them the importance of making healthy food choices, exercising, etc. I had the misfortune of getting pertussis in college. I was lucky and got antibiotics in time to prevent it from turning into a nasty cough; my fiancee was sick for 4 months and has permanent lung damage as a result.

Old 08-02-2010, 09:30 PM

2,605 posts, read 2,655,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolepsy View Post
i sincerely believe that most parents who consciously choose not to vaccinate do so out of love and concern.
This implies that those of us with good common sense and have the desire to protect our children from childhood diseases DON'T love our children. I sincerely believe that most parents who consciously choose to vaccinate do so out of love and concern.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolepsy View Post
one other point that some non-vaccinating parents believe is that there is nothing wrong in most instances for a child to suffer a bout with chicken pox, measles or mumps. previous generations contracted these illnesses (which for the most part are considered minor), recovered and are now healthy and immune for life.
What isn't taken into consideration here are the side affects of these diseases.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TouchOfWhimsy View Post
I do understand herd immunity, but am not willing to put my own children at risk unnecessarily, especially if they are already immune to certain diseases.
That's ridiculous. What you're doing is depending on everyone else to immunize to keep YOUR child safe from disease.

So let's ALL choose that route and we'll see how long it takes for them to make a comeback like whooping cough is doing right now. It won't take long since there are so many illegals in this country and people travel everywhere in the world and bring back things that were eradicated here in years past BECAUSE of immunization.

It's funny how people refuse to have their children immunized yet they
use chemicals in their homes all the time,
use anti-bacterial soaps and cleaners,
slather their kids with sunscreen (all chemicals),
use disposable diapers (all chemicals),
use cosmetics,
use lotions and powders on their kids

Old 08-02-2010, 09:59 PM

25,641 posts, read 17,293,055 times
Eventually there will be another disease that kills everyone and people will be begging for a vaccine and it will take about 50 years after that for parents to (forget) start rebelling against it.

Old 08-03-2010, 12:53 AM

2,596 posts, read 6,393,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorthy View Post
Actually, pertussis is making a comeback because at least two of the most common strains have mutated, making the vaccination ineffective.

Short Sharp Science: Why whooping cough's making a comeback
CONCLUSIONS. Children of parents who refuse pertussis immunizations are at high risk for pertussis infection relative to vaccinated children. Herd immunity does not seem to completely protect unvaccinated children from pertussis. These findings stress the need to further understand why parents refuse immunizations and to develop strategies for conveying the risks and benefits of immunizations to parents more effectively.

Parental Refusal of Pertussis Vaccination Is Associated With an Increased Risk of Pertussis Infection in Children -- Glanz et al. 123 (6): 1446 -- Pediatrics

Old 08-03-2010, 08:47 AM

613 posts, read 490,332 times
Another thing to consider is many parents distrust the whole vaccine thing, from the pharmecuetical companies desire to make more and more money, to the insurance companies looking to save money and hence put more in their pocket to the doctors who just want to insure the insurance companies pay them.

When my oldest was a baby, parents were always nervous when ti was time for vacs and understood there was always a risk for harm, but we believed that risk to be small. My sons doctor always examined him for ANY sign of illness and would not vac unless he was in 100% health, would not vac unless it had been at least a month since the last, and were upfront about which vaccines had rare serious consequences.

Now, they vaccinate the he'll out of babies with multiple vaccines Even if the child is SICK, they are not spaced out and parents are told the vaccines are 100% safe which is BS!

Is it any wonder some parents are leery?

Old 08-03-2010, 09:30 AM

4,267 posts, read 3,108,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
CONCLUSIONS. Children of parents who refuse pertussis immunizations are at high risk for pertussis infection relative to vaccinated children. Herd immunity does not seem to completely protect unvaccinated children from pertussis. These findings stress the need to further understand why parents refuse immunizations and to develop strategies for conveying the risks and benefits of immunizations to parents more effectively.

Parental Refusal of Pertussis Vaccination Is Associated With an Increased Risk of Pertussis Infection in Children -- Glanz et al. 123 (6): 1446 -- Pediatrics
It seems obvious that children who are not vaccinated are at an increased risk of contracting the Vaccine preventable diseases. From the link you posted:

Quote:
In the entire Kaiser Permanente of Colorado pediatric population, 11% of all pertussis cases were attributed to parental vaccine refusal.
So if 11% are due to vaccine refusal, what is the reason for the other 89%?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting