U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2007, 12:39 PM

168 posts, read 1,057,586 times

Advertisements

Here's a question I have for those who don't vaccinate. It's a question, not any sort of accusation.

I've seen health reasons (autism, etc) sited as to why many don't vaccinate and the rise in autism cases, among other things, as something which concerns those who don't vaccinate.

There is a plethora of information supporting the idea that preservatives are really bad for our health, can lead to the enormous rise in ADD, and a myriad of short and long-term health issues for our children. Goodness knows what toll meat which has been fed antibiotics, killed when sick, etc. takes on our children. I personally try to eat whole, non-processed, organic food (and local food) whenever possible and steer clear of all the junk (corn syrup, red dye #40, etc). I make sure my kids are eating good wholesome food as well.

Recently, I've done more research on the potential health hazards of fluoride in our water and I've started buying distilled water. I'm not exclusively drinking distilled (nor are my kids) but it is something I've started considering.

I breastfed my babies and more and more research is showing that although formula today is better than it was 30 years ago, there appear to be long-term health risks (increased incidence of Parkinson's later in life, for one).

So, the other day I was with someone who was lecturing me on why vaccinations are not good (my children are fully vaccinated). She pulled out Fruit Loops for her kids to eat as snack. I was asking her about why she would not vaccinate b/c of health risks, yet would feed her children terrible food which certainly has health risks.

So I guess that's my question...how many of you are careful about some of the other big risks out there--food, water, etc.? Why turn down vaccinations b/c they could be harmful, you think, to your children, and then hand them red dye #40, corn syrup, and fruit loops?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2007, 12:43 PM

3,099 posts, read 1,912,862 times
i think this is an excellent question. i do know that there are alot of people (who are wary of vaccines) that also are wary of all the things you mentioned. i guess it depends on how far you want to take a certain lifestyle/mindset. for example: some people may be vegetarians and others may be vegans.

Old 11-20-2007, 02:43 PM

168 posts, read 1,057,586 times
Yes, it's just something which came to mind for me.

There are so many other things which can cause illness in children and which are being blamed for the significant rise in health issues, but if you choose to do them anyway, your own children are the only ones who suffer the consequences. That is to say, if you give your kids high fructose corn syrup and yellow dye #5 on a regular basis and they end up with ADHD or worse, no one is going to catch it from them, unlike potential problems with being unvaccinated.

So...I wonder why such strong arguments and feelings about avoiding vaccinations for things which CAN be passed on to other children and yet not avoid the things which cannot be passed on? I'm sure of course some people are careful about all of the above issues, but certainly not all people are.

In part I am thinking avoiding vaccinations should be the LAST thing, not the first thing, which is done to avoid illness in children. If you're already breastfeeding, careful with water, with locally grown organic foods, not eating Rice Crispies or regular bread (processed, corn syrup), not installing new chemical-laden carpet in your house, and all those other things and THEN you decide not to vaccinate...well, I still think it's important for others' protection, but I would have less of an issue with that situation than with someone who is not vaccinating but giving their kids Wheat Thins and Doritos, spraying their grass/flowers with chemicals or lighting chemical scented candles...

Old 11-20-2007, 02:57 PM

i agree with just about everything you are saying. i bet it's easier though (not as much work) to say no to vaccines compared to giant lifestyle changes (diet, exercise, living naturally). both are important. i sincerely believe that most parents who consciously choose not to vaccinate do so out of love and concern. seems like most people in the u.s. feed their kids the same type of junk that you mentioned and it's probably because these are the types of foods that are readily available in stores and easy to prepare (if you have to prepare them at all) and what everyone else in the neighborhood is eating.
i do want to say though that there are some parents who have witnessed extremely frightening episodes/side effects with their kids immediately following vaccination like screaming bloody murder for hours and hours on end and seizures and such that i cannot blame them for avoiding vaccines from that point on. most parents would say "that's it! never again will i vaccinate!"

Old 11-20-2007, 03:04 PM

one other point that some non-vaccinating parents believe is that there is nothing wrong in most instances for a child to suffer a bout with chicken pox, measles or mumps. previous generations contracted these illnesses (which for the most part are considered minor), recovered and are now healthy and immune for life. some diseases are so rare that maybe there shouldnt be a vaccine requirement anymore. my main point is that some believe there is nothing wrong with allowing a child to fall ill with a minor illness and that it is the most natural way and best because the child will not have to worry about vaccine boosters for the rest of his life or worry about the vaccine's protection wearing away and suddenly coming down with measles when they are eldery and more fragile. just trying to present a different point of view.

Old 11-20-2007, 08:26 PM

9,444 posts, read 14,983,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberryfield View Post
Here's a question I have for those who don't vaccinate. It's a question, not any sort of accusation.

I've seen health reasons (autism, etc) sited as to why many don't vaccinate and the rise in autism cases, among other things, as something which concerns those who don't vaccinate.

There is a plethora of information supporting the idea that preservatives are really bad for our health, can lead to the enormous rise in ADD, and a myriad of short and long-term health issues for our children. Goodness knows what toll meat which has been fed antibiotics, killed when sick, etc. takes on our children. I personally try to eat whole, non-processed, organic food (and local food) whenever possible and steer clear of all the junk (corn syrup, red dye #40, etc). I make sure my kids are eating good wholesome food as well.

Recently, I've done more research on the potential health hazards of fluoride in our water and I've started buying distilled water. I'm not exclusively drinking distilled (nor are my kids) but it is something I've started considering.

I breastfed my babies and more and more research is showing that although formula today is better than it was 30 years ago, there appear to be long-term health risks (increased incidence of Parkinson's later in life, for one).

So, the other day I was with someone who was lecturing me on why vaccinations are not good (my children are fully vaccinated). She pulled out Fruit Loops for her kids to eat as snack. I was asking her about why she would not vaccinate b/c of health risks, yet would feed her children terrible food which certainly has health risks.

So I guess that's my question...how many of you are careful about some of the other big risks out there--food, water, etc.? Why turn down vaccinations b/c they could be harmful, you think, to your children, and then hand them red dye #40, corn syrup, and fruit loops?
This is an excellent question.
Actually most moms that I met personally who were anti-vax were very health-conscious, but I totally believe that there could be moms who are anti-vax but otherwise their lifestyle is toxic. Why? I don't know, but I do know one thing: when you are anti-vax, you need to arm yourself with knowledge of how to protect your child alternatively and that DOES NOT include junk food.

It is really sad with what's going on in this world right now when it comes to artificial sweeteners, and junk food. The problem is that it's not just vaccines, the heavy metals are in everything: water, food etc... I try as much as I can to eat not just organic food, but meat from grass fed and pastured animals, I have a very good filtration system at home and in general I try to minimize my son's exposure to hormones and toxins.

I think it's very hypocritical of any mother to scream about the dangers of vaccines, but not follow healthy lifestyle thru and thru.

Old 11-20-2007, 10:30 PM

1,352 posts, read 4,157,985 times
Very good question. I wouldn't say that parents who are anti-vaccination but who don't follow a strict healthy lifestyle in food choices are hyprocritcal, although some may be. Many parents may not know be well versed on what additives are contained in certain foods. It doesn't make them hyprocritcal though, they just are not well-informed.

On another note, it can be quite costly to buy organic and to avoid anything processed. Remember some Mothers purchase what they can afford at that time. Many may not have the cooking skills to buy natural ingredients and prepare a meal? There are many factors. Shopping and cooking is a skill that takes time to master, especially when you're shopping on a "budget"

Old 11-20-2007, 10:50 PM

544 posts, read 1,992,943 times
I chose not to fully immunize my youngest 2 children as their older brother died within 24 hours after his first vaccinations. The autopsy said SIDS, but I was with him not the drs. and my baby's little body slowly shut down after those vaccines. Never did trust vaccines, then after our tragedy, will not say anything positive about them. DH and I refuse a flu vaccine. As far as watching the foods my kids eat (Youngest is 17) I figure I and a whole generation of baby boomers lived on sugar sweetened cereals, etc., whats good enough for me is good enough for my kids. We do only eat whole grains. We never did feed them fast food such as McD's. We eat at home, always have, I cook a full meal every night. I packed their lunches every day for school. Read what goes into those vaccines and you'll refuse them too.

Old 11-21-2007, 05:43 AM

20,793 posts, read 52,363,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolepsy View Post
one other point that some non-vaccinating parents believe is that there is nothing wrong in most instances for a child to suffer a bout with chicken pox, measles or mumps. previous generations contracted these illnesses (which for the most part are considered minor), recovered and are now healthy and immune for life. some diseases are so rare that maybe there shouldnt be a vaccine requirement anymore. my main point is that some believe there is nothing wrong with allowing a child to fall ill with a minor illness and that it is the most natural way and best because the child will not have to worry about vaccine boosters for the rest of his life or worry about the vaccine's protection wearing away and suddenly coming down with measles when they are eldery and more fragile. just trying to present a different point of view.

I agree that a lot of people today just have not seen what these diseases can do to people and how horrible many of them really are.

The reasons these diseases are so rare is because of the vaccines. You stop vaccinating a large number of people and these diseases will pop right back up again. Vaccines were relatively new when I was a child and we saw cases of measles, mumps, etc. I had mumps as a child and wouldn't wish that one ANYONE. The complications and the risks of having the disease at anytime FAR outway the potential reactions to the vaccines. Yes, some people experience problems with the vaccine but imagine how much worse it would be for them if they actually contracted rubella or whatever.

As for the rise in autism, etc. Study after study has shown no correlation between the two. What HAS happened is that more people have learned to recognize the symptoms for autism, etc. and more kids are being diagnosed as a result. I remember plenty of kids growing up that were probably autistic to some degree but were just classified as 'slow'. As for ADD, sorry but that is the most over-diagnosed condition today. I have seen plenty of kids that are truly ADD/ADHD and 99% if the kids that have that diagnosis really aren't. Most of their behavioral issues can be attributed to other things like lack of sleep, etc. but by giving them a diagnosis lets parents off the hook for the kids lack of success in school or their misbehavior.

THe kids that are truly ADD/ADHD have a very tough life and because of the over diagnosis today really suffer because they can't get the access needed to the special help they need because other kids are taking up the resources that don't really need them.

Old 11-21-2007, 08:23 AM

9,444 posts, read 14,983,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsMo View Post
I chose not to fully immunize my youngest 2 children as their older brother died within 24 hours after his first vaccinations. The autopsy said SIDS, but I was with him not the drs. and my baby's little body slowly shut down after those vaccines. Never did trust vaccines, then after our tragedy, will not say anything positive about them. DH and I refuse a flu vaccine. As far as watching the foods my kids eat (Youngest is 17) I figure I and a whole generation of baby boomers lived on sugar sweetened cereals, etc., whats good enough for me is good enough for my kids. We do only eat whole grains. We never did feed them fast food such as McD's. We eat at home, always have, I cook a full meal every night. I packed their lunches every day for school. Read what goes into those vaccines and you'll refuse them too.
I'm soo sorry about what happened to your child. I heard about babies dyeing of SIDS right after vaccines, unfortunately nobody can prove the direct correlation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting