Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2013, 12:06 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,859,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by colcat View Post
How old are your kids? I'm just trying to figure out how you know where they are at all times(unless you follow them at all times.)
My kids are 11 and 8. I am a SAHM. They go to online school. I do know where they are all the time

And when they go to visit a friend, I have met that friend's parents and been to their house (and they've been to mine). The mother and I communicate before the kids go to play, to make sure that they're home and that it's okay with the mother for my kid to come over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2013, 12:47 PM

219 posts, read 483,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaninEGF View Post
Maybe I mis-interpret your comment...but our young kids (two 4 yr old and 8 yr old) are in swimming lessons. Last 2 wk class they didnt pass to the next level....we told them good job, you are doing so well, next time you will pass. They really were just close to passing, just having to practice on techniques. I would hope other parents in such situations would say good job to their kids....and not tell them they failed.

Obviously there is an age cutoff thing in competitive sports. Our 3 rd grader is in basketball and for the first time in the spring they will hand pick those players that are good enough to participate in a travel team for 2 months. Many parents feel that 3rd grade is a bit too young to start hand picking another player over another. 6th grade...sure....but in 3rd grade they are still just learning.
Your example is reasonable, of course.

What I meant with the "GOOD JOB!" comment is that the words have lost their former meaning in a lot of ways.

It's alllllllllllllllllllll you hear parents saying to their children now, no matter what they're doing, no matter how minute the action, no matter whether it should be expected behavior or not ... because it's never "hey bud, you did a good job on xyz."

From the time they're like 6 months old it's "OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! GOOD JOBBBBBBBBBBB!!!!!" (exclamation points and caps intentional) For everything from managing to play without hitting anyone or getting down the slide at the playground without a faceplant to ... well, just about anything. It curls my hair. Kids these days have learned that no matter what they're doing or why or how they're doing it, they're doing a GOOD JOB!!! And their parents usually loudly let everyone in a 25-mile radius know it.

Of course now with Facebook the radius is much, much wider........don't get me started. :P

Old 11-04-2013, 01:03 PM

13,980 posts, read 25,939,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
I find it ironic how few real life parents I have ever met as described by the blogger, and yet they are supposed to be the norm "these days". Where are they all?
My thoughts exactly. I am curious as to the ages of the OP's children. Does the OP have children?

Old 11-04-2013, 01:05 PM

324 posts, read 654,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
My thoughts exactly. I am curious as to the ages of the OP's children. Does the OP have children?

I have a 5 and 7 year old. Why are you curious if I have children? You seem to be assuming something here but not sure what.

Old 11-04-2013, 01:14 PM

what concerned me is how she mocked kids who wanted to commit suicide because of being bullied. I hope for her children's sake they are not bullied, because she won't life a finger to help them, however she is probably raising the bullies.

Old 11-04-2013, 01:40 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,859,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freelee View Post
what concerned me is how she mocked kids who wanted to commit suicide because of being bullied. I hope for her children's sake they are not bullied, because she won't life a finger to help them, however she is probably raising the bullies.
I agree...I think the new, expanded awareness of bullying is a good thing. I'm sure there were suicides because of bullying in the past, but they didn't get the attention that they do now, because news wasn't as global or as national before the internet.

I was always bullied in school...I didn't have the right clothes, my mom only let me shower once every two weeks, I had ugly, thick glasses, I used to forget my socks sometimes (had to get my sisters dressed before I could get dressed, so I usually put my shoes on in the car), I got boobs before all the other girls but wasn't allowed to have bras, etc. I remember feeling suicidal at some times during junior high and high school...obviously I didn't act on it, but I just remember feeling like nobody in the world cared about me. It wasn't just school in my case, my mother was abusive also. If people try harder now to prevent bullying, I don't think we're making kids weak or unable to deal with adult life...I think we're making them more sensitive and caring adults.

When I took my oldest out of her old school, people told me that I should leave her there to learn how to solve her own problems so that she'd be able to deal with those kinds of problems as an adult. But as an adult, if someone is that horrible to you, you don't have to associate with them. Some problems are too big for a kid to solve by themselves.

Old 11-04-2013, 02:20 PM

1,559 posts, read 2,369,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
My kids are 11 and 8. I am a SAHM. They go to online school. I do know where they are all the time

And when they go to visit a friend, I have met that friend's parents and been to their house (and they've been to mine). The mother and I communicate before the kids go to play, to make sure that they're home and that it's okay with the mother for my kid to come over.
When my kids were 11 and 8, I knew where they were also. That's why I asked you how old they are. I was thinking you had teenagers. No parent of a teenager knows where they are at all times unless you follow them everywhere they go or they don't leave the house without you, ever. And that's just creepy.

Old 11-04-2013, 02:30 PM

Quote:
When my kids were 11 and 8, I knew where they were also. That's why I asked you how old they are. I was thinking you had teenagers. No parent of a teenager knows where they are at all times unless you follow them everywhere they go or they don't leave the house without you, ever. And that's just creepy.

lol my dad did!! He would drop my friend and I at the movie theater and we would see him sitting waaay in the back.

Old 11-04-2013, 02:38 PM

1,559 posts, read 2,369,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freelee View Post
lol my dad did!! He would drop my friend and I at the movie theater and we would see him sitting waaay in the back.
Did you ever get a driver's licence or did your dad drive you everywhere? I'm not trying to be smug, I am just saying that when I hear parents say they know where their kid is at all times, it is usually inaccurate. Judge Judy says, and I quote, " you know how you can tell when a teenager is lying? Their lips are moving."ETA: I guess your dad didn't have a job outside of the home either. I mean if he knew where you were at all times and everything.

Old 11-04-2013, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Did you ever get a driver's licence or did your dad drive you everywhere? I'm not trying to be smug, I am just saying that when I hear parents say they know where their kid is at all times, it is usually inaccurate. Judge Judy says, and I quote, " you know how you can tell when a teenager is lying? Their lips are moving."

He drove me everywhere until I was 18.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting