Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2013, 09:43 AM

3,072 posts, read 5,207,861 times

Advertisements

For example, leaving a child downstairs in the TV room while you are upstairs folding laundry? 10-15 minutes or so, without being able to hear them (unless they go to the bottom of the stairs and yell).

Thanks for opinions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2013, 09:46 AM

22,226 posts, read 47,150,952 times
Depends on the child and the room.

Why can't you and the child be together as you are folding?

Old 11-13-2013, 09:50 AM

7,112 posts, read 8,593,914 times
I think it depends greatly on your kids personality...but I wouldn't consider it before the age of 5...and even then it would only happen if I was confident the house was child proof...I usually brought my kids with me if they couldn't be in my sightlines...

Old 11-13-2013, 09:53 AM

3,072 posts, read 5,207,861 times
Thanks all. My son is 4. I could bring him into the room, it's just sometimes he prefers to continue playing in the playroom whiel I do chores. I have a 12 month old who stays with me obviously.

Old 11-13-2013, 10:00 AM

3,279 posts, read 5,285,742 times
I think 4 is easily old enough for 15 minutes of folding laundry in the same house in another room. Heck my kids old were playing outside for 1-2 hours ALONE in a fenced-in area while I was inside when they were 2 & 4 years old.

Old 11-13-2013, 10:29 AM

20,098 posts, read 16,010,311 times
Depends on the child, the layout of the house, and the room. By the age of 2 it was not unusual for me to leave 3 of my 4 quietly playing in the child-proofed family room while I did something in the kitchen in the next room. My son who thought climbing on high objects and jumping down was a fine way to pass time, was another story. I only let him out of my direct line of vision if there was another child around to tattle on him. By the age of 4, being on another floor for a short amount time, such as the time needed to fold a basket of laundry, in the same house was fine... except for Superman wanna-be. (Although I made mine help fold laundry by that age)

As to the person saying 5, that is too old to send a message to your child that being by yourself is okay, you are a separate person from me, and you are a capable person who can care for many of your own basic needs. Seriously, how do you expect your child to do these things in kindergarten, which they attend at 5, and where these attitudes are expected if they haven't been give increasing independence prior to then? We hover too much over children these days and it stifles their development.

Old 11-13-2013, 10:32 AM

43,011 posts, read 107,590,543 times
It depends on the child, the room, and the house. I baby proofed my entire house from day one. I had no knickknacks or anything in my house. There was nothing that could harm a child in any room. I had all bathrooms and the kitchen blocked off with baby gates. I would cook in the kitchen, take a bath, put laundry away, clean the bathroom, while they were in the living room or wherever. It's not like I left them alone in other rooms for hours on end. 15 minutes here and there. I could hear everything from wherever I was. I never felt I needed direct line of sight.

There were brief periods of not being in hearing distance. With the way my first place was set up, there is no way I could have done laundry via dragging a child along with me. My laundry was two flights down the stairs. I couldn't carry a child and laundry baskets at the same time. In these instances when I went far enough way I couldn't hear them, I used the playpen. It's the only time I used a playpen.

By the time they were too old to be in the playpen, they were well behaved enough to wait while I did laundry. I don't remember my mother dragging us from room to room while she did chores. I specifically remember her going to the basement to do laundry without me. Based on the house we were living in at that time, I was 3 to 4 years old because we lived in that NC house for one year before moving to another city when I was 5. I also remember having free run outside while living in that house from 3 to 4.

By 4 years old, I certainly could leave a child alone playing with toys or watching TV while I did something elsewhere in the house. I specifically remember age 4 was when other mothers and I allowed our children to walk alone to each other's houses four doors down the street for pre-arrange play dates while each mother waited on each end. 4 is also the age where they played outside in the yard with loose supervision from house windows.

I wouldn't have left a hyperactive child alone for a moment, but my children weren't a problem in that regard. I also didn't live in a huge mansion, which would have been like leaving a child on another side of the neighborhood. If I had lived in one of those houses, I would have had a nanny, housekeeper and a cook! LOL

Old 11-13-2013, 10:36 AM

6,423 posts, read 7,202,284 times
I've left my daughter in another room from since she could walk (and walk off to another room!) so 9 months but its always been on the same floor rather than her downstairs and me upstairs etc if it was a case up on a different floor then I'd do that from when she could confidently walk up and down stairs by herself in case she wanted me, so about 18 months.
She's nearly 3 now and she loves to play in her room by herself, and I am quite confident leaving her alone while I take a shower.

Old 11-13-2013, 10:37 AM

3,672 posts, read 10,564,360 times
I was the problem child, I guess. At the age of 2 I was pushing out screens and escaping the house to roam the woods and head a block down the street to visit the neighbors rabbits. My mom was frazzled by me to say the least.

I survived, but today I question how.

If you want your child to be where you last left them, dont leave them. that is all I can advise.

Old 11-13-2013, 10:39 AM

43,011 posts, read 107,590,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
As to the person saying 5, that is too old to send a message to your child that being by yourself is okay, you are a separate person from me, and you are a capable person who can care for many of your own basic needs. Seriously, how do you expect your child to do these things in kindergarten, which they attend at 5, and where these attitudes are expected if they haven't been give increasing independence prior to then? We hover too much over children these days and it stifles their development.
I totally agree. That 5 year post sort of inspired me to respond to this thread. My children were left alone for brief periods of time since the day they were born. I can't imagine a life, for parent or child, of dragging a child from room to room while doing chores.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting