Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2013, 09:24 PM

1,961 posts, read 4,383,133 times

Advertisements

I grew up in NE Ohio and my 8th grade class went to DC. We saw all the memorials, some of the Smithsonian museums, and a lot of other historical sites. It was a great experience. Then after that went back with my family.

There are a lot of school districts that do this, I guess it just depends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2013, 09:27 PM

7,136 posts, read 12,668,915 times
Years ago I was a teacher chaperone for a two day/one night trip to DC from Cincinnati. I cannot begin to tell you how great this trip was. We saw more in two days than I ever thought possible and had no issues. I think the kids whose parents did not chaperone enjoyed the trip more because it gave them a chance to be independent in a safe, structured, controlled environment.

If you give kids opportunities to earn money by doing chores, etc. they usually jump on it. You might also do some kind of matching funds incentive. For example for every dollar you earn we'll give you two. It's amazing how creative kids can be when they need money.

Old 11-14-2013, 09:30 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Book Lover 21 View Post
So our 12 yr old came bounding in like a hyper little puppy yesterday. He was all excited about next year's DC trip.

I guess this is a really typical thing? Can anyone share their stories?

Besides the school-sponsored fundraisers, I really want him to feel like he earned the money. Any suggestions on that front?

Has anybody done the chaperone thing? I'm 60% sure I don't want to do it. But I'd be open to hearing about your experiences.
Been there, done that!

IT WAS AWESOME.

Yes, this is a very common trip for school kids within 6 or so hours of D.C.

I did chaperone (we had 300 kids!) and it was truly one of the best times of my life - the 5 days FLEW by

We had enough parent and teacher volunteers to have the kids broken down into groups of 5.

I gave my son the option of being in another group so he wouldn't have to be "stuck" with me, you might want to consider that yourself.

I did not make my son earn the money - we considered it a "graduation gift".

Any other questions don't hesitate to ask! Hope you decide to go

Old 11-15-2013, 05:34 AM

3,440 posts, read 6,544,526 times
My daughter and grand daughter did the DC trip when GD was in the 8th grade and my daughter was teaching 6th grade in their home town in southern NH. It is an annual thing that all the 8th graders look forward to. I think it was a 2 night trip and they left right after the middle school spring concert. The 2 overnights after the bus trip were at the hotel, so I guess it was really 3 nights. They all had to bring a pillow as they were expected to nap on the bus as they traveled through the night. 2 bus loads went. My daughter had charge of 8 girls and the all had a ball. The Pentegon Mall is now known as the "Fashion Mall" and needless to say that was a must for this group of girls. It was kind of a respite from all the monuments and museums, although those were memorable too.

Old 11-15-2013, 06:58 AM

384 posts, read 594,158 times
Typical for my district way back when I was in 8th grade. The trip cost $1,000 and if you couldn't afford it, you didn't go ( this was a public school in a working class neighborhood). There was no fundraising angst at all, and the trip was GREAT. They flew us from Fort Lauderdale to Washington National, first time doing the river approach. The trip was a week long and we missed and were excused for a whole week of school.

Old 11-15-2013, 08:28 AM

3,393 posts, read 4,009,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdubose View Post
My son went on a Washington DC trip with his school in 6th grade (from Tampa). He had an amazing time and talks about it all the time. It was through the World Strides program...not sure if thats the one your school is using, but they really set it up for a wonderful experience and if you have a excited teacher leading the group its just even more of a plus. I wouldnt hesitate to recommend it to anyone that has the opportunity.

Personally, I stepped back with the chaperoning offer because I felt it was his time to really be away on his own with his peers in a completely different environment. I didnt want him to feel like I was hovering or that he always had to spend time with me since I was there...I just wanted him to have a blast and thats exactly what he had.

As for the fundraising, I had him do extra chores around the house and he went to some of the neighbors and offered to help them out for tips (weeding, walking their dogs, he even sold some pies that he baked (loves to cook)). He made about $100 and I felt that was good enough for him to feel like he contributed to his trip, he also asked for "donations" from out of state family after writing letters explaining the trip and why he wanted to go.

I hope your child has fun!
This is through World Strides too, so I'm really glad you mentioned that. Ours is only 3 nights, sounds like a whirlwind tour. None of us have been to DC before and I've ALWAYS wanted to go. But I'm a major history freak, so I would want to go for 10-14 days.

Like others said, he really wants to go with all the kids from class, otherwise I would wait until we can do a family trip. I did tell him, "Now you have to really pay attention, because when the family goes, I will be relying on you to be our tour guide."

Old 11-15-2013, 10:40 AM

1,029 posts, read 1,488,063 times
Yes, please do send him with his class. Twenty years ago my school district in Texas offered a Washington,D.C. trip for junior high students every third year (so you'd go in either 6th, 7th or 8th grade). I am so grateful for the opportunity to have gone. Our school organized an essay contest, and the winner - ME! - got to help lay a wreath at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. It was an incredible experience that I will never forget.

I'd ask your child if he would like you as a chaperone or not. The parents who went on my trip were parents who already knew most of the kids (smallish school) and who we respected and listened to (we knew they would tell our parents if we messed up). They did give us a lot of freedom; I'm still surprised they turned us loose at the Smithsonian for hours as long as we stayed in a group of 3 or more.

It's a great opportunity

Old 11-15-2013, 12:00 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggiebuttercup View Post
Yes, please do send him with his class. Twenty years ago my school district in Texas offered a Washington,D.C. trip for junior high students every third year (so you'd go in either 6th, 7th or 8th grade). I am so grateful for the opportunity to have gone. Our school organized an essay contest, and the winner - ME! - got to help lay a wreath at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. It was an incredible experience that I will never forget.

I'd ask your child if he would like you as a chaperone or not. The parents who went on my trip were parents who already knew most of the kids (smallish school) and who we respected and listened to (we knew they would tell our parents if we messed up). They did give us a lot of freedom; I'm still surprised they turned us loose at the Smithsonian for hours as long as we stayed in a group of 3 or more.

It's a great opportunity
Awwww......well said! What an awesome memory for you!

Old 11-15-2013, 12:40 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,347,105 times
It is such a balance, between being a protective parent, and letting kids have some independence. I remember when my boys were going on scouting trips, and sports events, and I let them go, and they came home, bursting with things to tell me. I never went as a chaperone, I let them go experience it on their own. It is tough. But, in the end, I am glad I let them grow up. My kids are all independent, adults now. Glad I cut the umbilical cord, and let them grow up.

Old 11-15-2013, 12:49 PM

17,563 posts, read 15,226,764 times
DC is something everyone should experience at least once.. I lived in Fairfax and Manassas, VA.. So, 'school trips' to DC were the norm.. But, we didn't go for the monuments because most everyone had already done that, being 15 miles from DC.. 8th grade, we had a trip to the Washington Post for my journalism class.. 9th grade for my Stagecraft class, we went to the Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts to see a play.

Even here in SC.. It's common for high schools to do a DC trip. The electrical Co-ops even stage a trip for high school seniors throughout the state. In addition to the Honor Flights, which are day trips for WWII vets(Yeah, they're a bit out of the demographic we're talking about, but..)

The problem I have is that with a class trip, you simply cannot see all that needs to be seen there, at least not devoting the time that's needed.

Air and Space is now TWO museums.. The one on the mall which has the moon rock, Apollo 11 command module, Spirit of St Louis, etc.. That's 4 hours MINIMUM.. Then you have the Annex(Udvar-Hazy) out at Dulles, which has the Shuttle Discovery, a Concorde, SR-71 Blackbird, and so much more.. That's easily another 4 hours.

American History museum.. Again, let's just say for every Smithsonian you need 4 hours minimum.. Archie Bunker's chair, Dorothy's slippers.. The Francis Scott Key Star Spangled Banner.. Bad news for those of you who went long ago.. They've removed the pendulum. Julia Child's kitchen is there..

Natural History museum.. The dinosaur and gemology displays will be a massive hit to middle schoolers.

Washington Monument is closed for the foreseeable future from the earthquake damage.. I know they're talking about it being opened up again this summer, but.. No guarantees. though, you can still see it, you just can't go to the top and see all the "State Blocks" from the elevator. Lincoln memorial and reflecting pool.. Jefferson memorial really needs to be seen, but it's difficult to get to and often overlooked. Iwo Jima memorial (Technically the Marine Corps Memorial). Arlington Cemetary has JFK's gravesite and the eternal flame, changing of the guard at the Tomb of the Unknowns, Arlington House and if you get lucky enough to be there around Veterans Day, memorial day or 4th of July.. They put out flags on EVERY grave there.. Completely amazing.

Mount Vernon I think is must-see, but it's 'so far' outside DC that it's often skipped.

The National Zoo.. Incredible.. Probably your only chance, unless you're from or go to San Diego to see Pandas and if you're lucky, you'll see when they allow the 'O Line' operation. They allow the oragutans to cross about 100 feet overhead between enclosures.. . And all this (perhaps not Mt Vernon) is free. It costs nothing to go to any Smithsonian museum, and the Zoo is a Smithsonian Museum.

All this.. And we haven't even talked about touring the Bureau of Engraving and Printing.. FBI doesn't do tours anymore.. There's the Newseum, Ford's Theater, the Capitol.. So much more.

Then there's Ben's Chili Bowl.. I've never understood that one. They call it a 'landmark' tho.

They have, perhaps, the best public transportation system in the US. The subway is clean and safe.. You WILL be cited for eating anything on the subway. Trains run out to the far suburbs (Not subway, but commuter trains)

Not only should you let him go.. You should then plan a second trip with the whole family and spend a week there. Then do it again the next year where you do the DC thing to revisit the things you really liked, pick up the things you couldn't get the first week, then do a trip south through VA for Monticello, Luray Caverns and the like.

As you can probably tell.. I'm a big fan of DC.. If not the politics and crap there.

You wouldn't want to LIVE there though.. Ever.. lol. The cost of living in the area is insane and the traffic will make a nun scream "Goddammit!".. And avoid elevators if at all possible. How to politely put this.. There are a large number of visitors from all over the world.. Some of which come from places where attention to personal hygiene and use of hygiene products is not as common as it is in the US..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting