Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2013, 09:30 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,897,096 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
What many people don't understand is that it was THIS model (minus the beatings, which of course is for dramatic effect), is what allowed humanity to thrive and flourish and become the most successful species that ever walked the face of the earth. Too bad that these wonderfully "progressive" people will effectively destroy that in a fraction of the time.

Boys need to become men and that is best accomplished by being treated as a man not a baby. It is not necessary to tell children you love them if you show them and teaching them that words are cheap, baby, but walking the walk is what really matters.

20yrsinBranson
So you think that 2 year old boys should be treated like men? While it is true that 2 year old boys become men it is not necessary to treat them like men when they are 2. Also-why is showing love to someone treating them like a baby? Don't men want/need love?

Old 11-17-2013, 09:52 PM

16,488 posts, read 24,471,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAMS View Post
Of course I care about him, otherwise we wouldn't have had him. I just want him to be a respectable citizen one day. What you see in today's youth causes shivers down my spine. Yes, he asks me if he can give me a kiss because I might be with my laptop taking care of rather important issues and he knows he shouldn't disturb me in those situations.

His mother already gives him so much kissing and hugging that I thought that's more than enough for a child.
This whole thing is so sad. He should be able to walk up to you at any time and tell you he loves you or ask for a kiss.

So because his mom gives him lots of love and kisses, he doesn't need any from anyone else? Seriously? Do you know how warped that sounds. You are his father and he needs love from you just as much as he does his mother.

Old 11-18-2013, 11:12 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,181,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
What many people don't understand is that it was THIS model (minus the beatings, which of course is for dramatic effect), is what allowed humanity to thrive and flourish and become the most successful species that ever walked the face of the earth. Too bad that these wonderfully "progressive" people will effectively destroy that in a fraction of the time.
I would be interested in what support you have for that assertion.

Quote:
Boys need to become men and that is best accomplished by being treated as a man not a baby. It is not necessary to tell children you love them if you show them and teaching them that words are cheap, baby, but walking the walk is what really matters.

20yrsinBranson
I guess it depends what you mean by being a man. I think it is sad when people mistake being harsh with being strong, being stoic with being confident and capable.

My husband's manly qualities; strength of character, attractiveness, physical strength, problem solving are not hampered in any way by being affectionate with me and the kids. Despite this affection, our son is growing up to be quite a good young man.

Old 11-19-2013, 10:11 AM

505 posts, read 940,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
Your making a grave mistake as a father not showing your son the affection he needs. He's going to grow up with serious identity issues. I bet if he was a girl, you'd be affectionate and less rigid with her. I know it because I've seen it first hand. My uncle is just like this. He had three children. 2 older boys and 1 younger girl. He was NEVER an affectionate father towards his sons. Always scolding them and judging them for everything they did wrong. Just being really strict without any love and affection. However with his daughter, he gave her lots of attention and hugs and spoiled her with affection. He was more lenient with her. Both his sons are now gay. They never had the love and affection of a male figure in their lives and now they seek out what they lost in other men. So you may want to think twice about how your treating and raising your son. They need just as much love and affection as girls.
hahahaha. . .that's just ridiculous. Guys don't become gay because of a lack of affection from their dads. Sorry, but your assertion there is just terribly ignorant.

I give love and affection to my boys because I love them, not to keep them from becoming gay.

Old 11-19-2013, 04:15 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,009,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameAlreadyTaken View Post
hahahaha. . .that's just ridiculous. Guys don't become gay because of a lack of affection from their dads. Sorry, but your assertion there is just terribly ignorant.
Never heard that one before. Usually people say the opposite, and too much affection turns boys into "gay sissy man-boys."

Old 11-19-2013, 04:20 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,864,026 times
I think maybe the poster was just saying that they're gay men with daddy issues. Not that it cause their... "gayness". We also hear of women who go looking for in men what they didn't receive from their fathers.

Old 11-20-2013, 07:16 AM

329 posts, read 431,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAMS View Post
My son is 2 years old. I've never been very close to him especially because he's already asleep when I get home most days and he's still asleep when I leave him the morning.

I don't tolerate bad behaviour or impoliteness. I certainly won't be raising a spoiled brat like you see around so much these days. He knows that when I say no or tell him to stop, he'll suffer consequences if he doesn't comply. He does most of the time, though.

However, I notice that when he sees his mother at the end of the day, he spontaneously goes running to her for a hug whereas when he comes to me, he always looks down and asks if he can give me a kiss.

I thought this was normal and I think you shouldn't make him feel too at ease because his mother babies him so much already. However, my partner told me to watch carefully how he acts around me. She says he acts like a little soldier and not like a small boy around his father.

She also says she doesn't understand how I've never told him I love him. I mean, I never thought about it that way or that he would care much about it since she already smuggles him with hugging and kissing.

Do you think that it makes a difference him?
It is a little early at 2 to start manning up a male kid. But you should slowly begin to teach him that showing affection or emotion is not a manly thing to do. That does not mean you don't have any but you just don't show it.

Old 11-20-2013, 07:24 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,734,689 times
People stop feeding the troll! It isn't a real post

Old 11-20-2013, 06:27 PM

2,932 posts, read 5,419,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WmMeeker View Post
It is a little early at 2 to start manning up a male kid. But you should slowly begin to teach him that showing affection or emotion is not a manly thing to do. That does not mean you don't have any but you just don't show it.
Excuse me, but what year is this? 2013...or 1953?

Old 11-20-2013, 08:06 PM

329 posts, read 431,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibraGirl123 View Post
Excuse me, but what year is this? 2013...or 1953?
The years do not make a difference. You have to raise a male child to manhood. Manhood means you keep control at all times over your emotions. You do not display them to others. To do so makes a man weak. Men who cry or have temper tantrums in front of others are not real men. Not at all. And their lives will not be lives of accomplishments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting