Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2013, 09:57 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,250,361 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I think it's all creepy especially since these are adults we're talking about and it's not the grandparents' job to monitor the grandkids.
Yeah thats even more creepy.

Old 11-20-2013, 10:00 AM

7,284 posts, read 16,684,958 times
Do I hear the whup-whup-whup of a helicopter rotor? It's no wonder college seniors are now basically "16th graders".

What did parents do 20 years ago? I don't think my parents put a James Bond tracking beacon on my car. I didn't get into trouble without them fussing over every last little thing. What is with people today? Just because you can do something, doesn't mean you should.

That said, my family wasn't big into trouble making, but if your kids are, maybe you have good reason to suspect that they are up to no good.

Old 11-20-2013, 10:08 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WmMeeker View Post
If I pay the cellphone bills of my children or even my grandchildren (family plan),
then yes, until you are 18, I will use the GPS in your phone to monitor where you go and when you go there.
If they're old enough to be allowed out without supervision...
they're old enough to be trusted to (mostly) act appropriately.

If you have some objective reason to NOT trust them.. that's different.
But the GPS thing isn't gonna fix it and it isn't gonna help it either.

Old 11-20-2013, 10:57 AM

13,981 posts, read 25,954,920 times
I'm not a fan of monitoring teens without cause. I had two stipulations regarding their whereabouts, answer the phone if I call, and let me know if you're going to be late.

Our insurance company offered a discount if we were willing to put a device on the cars that would alert us to speeding, we said no thanks to that too. If they had racked up points on their licenses, they would have been held responsible for any surcharges. I wasn't about to hand the insurance company the means to raise our premiums.

Old 11-20-2013, 11:25 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,909,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WmMeeker View Post
He is now 17. My oldest boy but my daughter is 23 and has her own daughter. I don't monitor her and never did. My younger son, no trouble out of him as of yet. But my oldest has been in plenty including being suspended from school 3 times, being caught with liquor and marijuana and attending illegal street races.
Do you provide him with a cell phone and car?

Old 11-20-2013, 11:38 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,322,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Sounds like you can't trust your children to tell you the truth about where they are and where they are going.
I've got news for you. Moderator Cut

I got away with so much. I look back and wonder where the heck my mom was. Did she not care?

I put a tracking bracelet on my son for 2yrs because of his behavior. Whatever. He's 20 now and wonders why he put me through so much. I dealt with it the way I felt I had to but I couldn't ignore it. He was 14 testing positive for Xanax. And yes, I administered drug tests.

You do everything you can while you have a chance and you won't look back and think "maybe I should have done xyz" And your kids won't look back and say "how could you let me xyz??!!"

I'm with ya, Wm. Stand firm in your beliefs and prove how precious they are to you. What if they're abducted? It's extreme but that's how you prove an argument. If it stands up in an extreme example then it's a good argument.

Last edited by Jaded; 11-23-2013 at 01:18 AM.. Reason: Name calling

Old 11-20-2013, 12:00 PM

65 posts, read 81,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
I'm not a fan of monitoring teens without cause. I had two stipulations regarding their whereabouts, answer the phone if I call, and let me know if you're going to be late.

Our insurance company offered a discount if we were willing to put a device on the cars that would alert us to speeding, we said no thanks to that too. If they had racked up points on their licenses, they would have been held responsible for any surcharges. I wasn't about to hand the insurance company the means to raise our premiums.
I'd rather face an increase in premium because they're caught speeding in the car. Maybe it would deter them from speeding in the future and limit a possible accident due to there speeding. I know I couldn't drive worth a damn, when I was 16 I almost drove my dad car into a ditch. Finally I did wrecked it by backing down a narrow street at night hitting 3 park cars, boy was he pissed. I guess I'm old school, I trust my kid but it's nothing wrong with verify what they are doing. I never trust anyone completely to tell the truth even my kids. I'm not saying kids need to be on a leash but I'm not there to be their friend. When it comes to there safety and future, it's my job to provide for and protect and hopefully raise responsible, empathic, caring, and moral people.

Old 11-20-2013, 12:07 PM

13 posts, read 30,426 times
children will have no privacy under my roof! todays children are so misbehaved, entitled, and spoiled. I say we bring back the parenting style when I was a kid in the 1950's!!!!

Old 11-20-2013, 12:19 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,084,735 times
Our grown kids - 30 and 32- grew up with little of the technology we have now. And we were like the other poster who said their community was small and everybody knew everybody's business. If something was going on it soon got back to somebody's parents and eventually everybody else in town. The worst thing they could do was get on the interstate and go to Atlanta where there was a great deal of trouble to get into. That was my biggest fear because the traffic on the interstate around Atlanta is truly deadly. And our son was and is "directionally challenged" like his Mama and easily gets lost.

I have to say these kids were way better at obeying the rules than I was as a teen. They grew up with more love, stability and encouragement than I did and if there had been GPS back then I might have avoided some serious mistakes usually made as rebellion. Grown kids didn't have too much to rebel against really.

As for my 11 year old girls I suspect they will stick together most of the time. They have no interest in phones at all. I think we have a few more years before we have to consider anything like tracking. Maybe we will get lucky again with this pair.

Old 11-20-2013, 12:23 PM

13 posts, read 30,426 times
parents....please check your kids instabook, facespace pages...my nephew has shown me girls posting EXTREMELY suggestive videos of girls doing innuendo-movements and posting half-naked pictures with the caption "like it up" why would a young girl do that, doesn't she know there are way more pedophiles and criminals out there doing extremely malicious things with this media
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting