U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2013, 03:50 PM

36,434 posts, read 41,632,813 times

Advertisements

I think there could have been a better way to handle this situation even if some kids were stinky. sad situation.

A Pre-Kindergarten Teacher Is Facing Disciplinary Actions After Telling Parents Their Children*Smell Bad
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2013, 03:53 PM

55,237 posts, read 72,415,357 times
this judgemental stereotyping teacher deserved to be whipped for insinuating that u would send your baby child to school dirty. but what if it was the other parents and kids that complained about the odor? is there an issue here or is the simple solution
shoot the messenger?

Old 11-29-2013, 04:25 PM

39,053 posts, read 37,695,377 times
Is that a real website?

Old 11-29-2013, 04:28 PM

32,111 posts, read 39,184,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Is that a real website?
I don't know about the website but it is a real story, there was another thread about it a few days ago.

Teacher faces discipline over letter about ‘smelly’ children | MyFOX8.com

I could have posted the Huffington story instead of a Fox station (since I know that will be an issue) but Huffington always has so damn many ads and popups.

Old 11-29-2013, 05:08 PM

6,758 posts, read 7,904,498 times
What I find interesting about that note is the childlike penmanship, and the fact that it is not typed.

Old 11-29-2013, 05:17 PM
NCN

21,136 posts, read 21,129,613 times
Have you ever tried to work around these smelly children? Learning hygiene ought to be a part of education since many parents don't bother. Maybe the parents should be called in to pick up the child and give them a bath. I pity kindergarten teachers because I have done story time for classes and some children are dirty. These teachers deserve a medal for their working conditions alone.

Old 11-29-2013, 05:31 PM

15,745 posts, read 13,176,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
this judgemental stereotyping teacher deserved to be whipped for insinuating that u would send your baby child to school dirty. but what if it was the other parents and kids that complained about the odor? is there an issue here or is the simple solution
shoot the messenger?
Some parents are not as concerned with hygiene as others. It is nice to pretend that all parents are perfect but even caring parents sometimes don't do the right thing.

That being said the notes should have come from the school nurse.

Btw, in my state, this sort of hygiene problem can be a sign of neglect and should be reported to the proper authorities.

Old 11-29-2013, 05:32 PM

16,483 posts, read 15,923,785 times
As an early childhood special education teacher (3 & 4 year olds) I have had a few parents who did not change a child's diaper, from the night before, in the morning before school. Heck, I had one mother who sometimes sent the child to school in the morning in the same diaper that we put on fresh at noon the previous day. You can imagine the horrid smell. This was always surprising as the mother had a very responsible job and was always well dressed in a smart suit and heels. Maybe she didn't like changing dirty or wet diapers or maybe there were financial problems where she couldn't afford diapers? We never really found out.

Would I send a note to every parent? Of course not, I would deal directly with that parent and that situation. And, if the situation got very, very serious (such as the child developing rashes and sores from wearing a wet and dirty diaper for 12 to 18 hours, day after day, then Children's Protective Services would need to be informed).

Stained clothes? Big deal, as long as they are relatively clean that's all that matters.
Sometimes children would wear the same dirty clothes for an entire week, but again a teacher needs to deal with that specific parent and not send home a general note.

I suspect that there were problems after problems after problems, possibly with numerous children and the teacher was just overwhelmed and made a serious error in judgment in sending that note home to all of the parents. She probably regretted it as soon as she sent it.

Stupid decision ? Yes. Very poor judgment? Yes. Serious enough to take away her livelihood for the rest of her life (which is what firing her might do)? Maybe and maybe not. We have to know more about her history and record.

But, think about this, have you ever made a bone-headed, stupid mistake on the job? Maybe you talked rudely to a customer or accidently sent an email complaining about the job to the boss or had a very, very bad day and vented to the wrong person. Was this something that meant that you could never be a sales clerk, or an secretary, or plumber, or a cook or a contractorfor the rest of your life?

Last edited by germaine2626; 11-29-2013 at 06:23 PM..

Old 11-29-2013, 05:35 PM

32,111 posts, read 39,184,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Some parents are not as concerned with hygiene as others. It is nice to pretend that all parents are perfect but even caring parents sometimes don't do the right thing.

That being said the notes should have come from the school nurse.

Btw, in my state, this sort of hygiene problem can be a sign of neglect and should be reported to the proper authorities.
I think you and I were both in the other thread and said the same thing (above) and were told we had no right to do it. In fact one poster kept insisting the kids were just getting dirty from playing at the bus stop.

Old 11-29-2013, 05:42 PM

6,009 posts, read 4,945,550 times
"Right" and "wrong" on this one is surely subjective. I can only say that if my Pre-K teacher had sent something like this home with me when I was little, my mom would've just signed it and handed it back to me, figuring it was just something they were having all the parents sign. If it had my name on it somewhere, she might've then called the teacher and asked if I was one of the "several".

I do sort of take issue with the line requiring the kid's signature, however. That's not something you should be communicating to a 3 or 4 year old, IMHO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or