Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2013, 11:02 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
Sorry but I wouldn't leave my dogs with strangers. I'm having a hard time finding a pet sitter because of that.
You won't leave your dogs for one minute while you step into another room?

Old 12-10-2013, 11:19 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,182,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I raised my children safely to adulthood without being paranoid. Most of the Craig's List physically harmed victims are buyers (because they have the money) or female's advertising services (because they are females and males are targeting them as victims). That doesn't stop me from being careful regardless of which end of the deal I'm on, but I don't go overboard.
I don't think opting out of leaving a toddler alone with a strange man is going over board, but that will probably vary from person to person.

eta: I'm going to guess you've never been robbed/attacked?

Old 12-10-2013, 11:32 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,473,283 times
Any normal parent would have, or should have an issue with a daycare provider asking a complete stranger to watch the kids she is responsible for. How can anybody be ok with that? Maybe I'm over protective but at least I'm not naive.
Anyhow, as far a selling or buying stuff on Craig's list, meeting at the sellers house makes more sense than at a public place. I bought a couple of window unit AC last year and had to pick them up at the sellers house. I think that is more common than meeting in some parking lot somewhere.

Last edited by glass_of_merlot; 12-10-2013 at 11:44 AM..

Old 12-10-2013, 11:33 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,132,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
My husband was looking to buy something off Craigslist. He made contact with a seller and made arrangements to meet at her house. I thought that was odd as normally if I buy something, it's at a public place such as a busy restaurant/gas station etc. But my husband is new at it didn't think anything of it.

He went and came back with an odd story. He got to the house and the lady seller also runs a in home daycare out of her garage which was outfitted just like a play room. (she told him about the home daycare as well) She had a baby in a booster seat and 2 toddlers running around. She asked hubby to watch them for a second while she ran in the house to get the item she was selling.

My husband was mortified but kind of just stood in the doorway unwilling to step in. lol Lady came back with the wrong item thinking hubby was another buyer. Correct item and quick exchange of money and hubby hightailed it out of there. He was really bothered that this lady would expose the kids to a complete stranger and wonder if the parents of those kids knew. I did a search with her phone number on craigslist and she had many many many ads. So this is a side business for her.

Would this bother you as a parent if you knew your home daycare provider was exposing your kids to strangers?
I sell things on Craigslist and people come to my home. Almost everyone who comes is a woman because of what I sell (American Girl doll clothes, dress-up costumes & pageant dresses).

However, if I ran a day care center I would not have strangers come to my house while the children were there and especially would not leave the room to get something with a stranger watching the children.

Yes, most people are good wonderful people but I would be irate if I found out that my day care provider was leaving MY children alone, even for a few minutes, with a total stranger. She should make appointments with people in the evening and on weekends when her day care charges are not there.

Old 12-10-2013, 11:38 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,181,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
I'd be willing to Guess that the Home Daycare 'provider' is not registered and Up to State Standards for a daycare center, Most home sitter when they go over X kids fall under into a required biz to register and have Min Standards.
There are not standards for people coming to the door in any state's regs that I have ever seen.

Old 12-10-2013, 11:40 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,181,676 times
She asked your husband to watch them while she ran in the house??!!?? Nuts. I certainly had deliveries made to my home or service people present from time to time. But have someone else, a complete stranger, watch the kids? Never ever ever ever.

Old 12-10-2013, 11:55 AM

655 posts, read 1,127,887 times
If I was the parent I would be furious that my day care provider allowed my child to be supervised (not matter how long) by a stranger. I did not give her permission to make that kind of decision about my child's safety and well being.

I am paying that person to watch my child....not run their other business. If she wants to sell things out of the home then she can do that before or after the children are in her care.

Old 12-10-2013, 11:57 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,473,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsku View Post
Wouldn't really bother me, I've asked strangers to watch my kid for a second before but when its a daycare situation is a bit off really (not the being exposed to strangers thing, there's nothing wrong with that, but asking him to watch the kids while she popped to the house)
You are right. That's the thing. What people choose to expose their kids to is one thing. You know your kids the best and do what you feel comfortable with. But letting strangers watch children you are responsible for, other people's children , while you leave the room for a couple of minutes is very irresponsible.
It doesn't take more than a minutes to snatch a child and take off. If you have to leave the room, than ask the buyer in this case to wait outside.. how hard is that?

Besides, the op said the woman had several childcare ads on Craig's list so, any pedophile could see that and take the opportunity.

Old 12-10-2013, 12:54 PM

3,086 posts, read 7,611,753 times
First, do you know for a fact that she is providing child care in her home as a business or was she caring for her grandchildren or other relatives?
Second, if she is providing child care is she required to be licensed in your state?

If she was providing child care and is required to be licensed, then she should be reported to the state licensing agency for being out of compliance in regards to supervising children. Most states do not have a regulation against visitors, but there are regulations for supervision. It is likely your husband will have to be available to give a statement, perhaps an affidavit as well since it would be his word against hers unless they are able to actually catch her doing the same thing again.

If she was watching relatives or isn't required to be licensed, then there is no need to report anything.

Old 12-10-2013, 01:20 PM

2,957 posts, read 5,900,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
My husband was looking to buy something off Craigslist. He made contact with a seller and made arrangements to meet at her house. I thought that was odd as normally if I buy something, it's at a public place such as a busy restaurant/gas station etc. But my husband is new at it didn't think anything of it.

He went and came back with an odd story. He got to the house and the lady seller also runs a in home daycare out of her garage which was outfitted just like a play room. (she told him about the home daycare as well) She had a baby in a booster seat and 2 toddlers running around. She asked hubby to watch them for a second while she ran in the house to get the item she was selling.

My husband was mortified but kind of just stood in the doorway unwilling to step in. lol Lady came back with the wrong item thinking hubby was another buyer. Correct item and quick exchange of money and hubby hightailed it out of there. He was really bothered that this lady would expose the kids to a complete stranger and wonder if the parents of those kids knew. I did a search with her phone number on craigslist and she had many many many ads. So this is a side business for her.

Would this bother you as a parent if you knew your home daycare provider was exposing your kids to strangers?
Holy hell. If my kid were in that woman's care, I would call every government agency to shut her down. Likely, her customers know it's a low cost arrangement (garage?) and are OK with it. Sad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting