Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2013, 11:08 AM

24 posts, read 28,999 times

Advertisements

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_3322095.html
What Really Happens On A Teen Girl's iPhone

I was appalled by this article. Specifically

Quote:
Not having an iPhone can be social suicide, notes Casey. One of her friends found herself effectively exiled from their circle for six months because her parents dawdled in upgrading her to an iPhone.
So if my daughter doesn't have an iPhone, she is an outcast? And what is this about determining your worth based on your amount of "followers" or "likes" or whatever they say these days? It is very disturbing, this article.

Last edited by Jaded; 12-12-2013 at 12:49 AM.. Reason: Copyright and no links for new posters
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2013, 11:33 AM

655 posts, read 1,127,887 times
I didn't read the article but to address your comments about the outcast thing.....that is what was happening to my daughter. It wasn't because anyone was deliberately trying to leave her out. It is just that the phone messaging is the preferred method of communication for these kids. Combine that with the fact that they don't really notice that they may be leaving someone out that doesn't have a phone and you end up with the situation you described.

I don't think that it means that you are an outcast or not worthy. It just means that you weren't included in the conversation because you didn't have the same means to communicate. It is unfortunately part of the social fabric for the pre teens and teens.

If your kid does not have a phone then they probably need to be more diligent at communicating with their friends to ensure that they are not missing out on some plans. Not the easiest thing to do, I know.

Old 12-10-2013, 01:29 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,356,098 times
With 3+ hours of homework in addition to practice every evening, it's hard enough to squeeze in a family dinner. The last thing my daughter needs is an iPhone buzzing every five minutes. Plus, she's isolated from the never-ending teen girl drama. Forgive me, but I fail to see the down-side here.

Old 12-10-2013, 02:00 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
Not surprising at all. It's their social capital.

It's sad and stunted, but it's reality for many.

Old 12-10-2013, 02:18 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SherryCole View Post
So if my daughter doesn't have an iPhone, she is an outcast? And what is this about determining your worth based on your amount of "followers" or "likes" or whatever they say these days? It is very disturbing, this article.
I'm not surprised. Prior to iPhones, kids rarely communicated with friends who didn't have cell phones because they got into the habit of texting everything. Teenagers have always been social idiots, and technology just helps them be bigger idiots.

Old 12-10-2013, 04:08 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,356,098 times
Social suicide, but academic survival.

The thing that bothers me the most about the article is the tidbit about sleep. The adolescent profiled admits that she and her friends are up until midnight messaging. Little wonder they're all walking around like zombies at school, or worse, sucking down grande lattes and sugar-laden treats to counter their exhaustion.

Old 12-10-2013, 04:17 PM

7,723 posts, read 12,614,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SherryCole View Post
I'd say you need to stop listening to liberal news rags, stop caring what other kids will think of your daughter, and continue being a great parent.

Old 12-10-2013, 04:23 PM

13,980 posts, read 25,939,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
I'd say you need to stop listening to liberal news rags, stop caring what other kids will think of your daughter, and continue being a great parent.
Continue being a great parent? Yup. Stop caring what other kids think of your daughter? Get real. We always care how the world perceives our children. It affects them, and what affects them, affects us.

As far as the "liberal rag" jibe? Pfft to you. Completely unnecessary.

Old 12-10-2013, 05:56 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,512,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
With 3+ hours of homework in addition to practice every evening, it's hard enough to squeeze in a family dinner. The last thing my daughter needs is an iPhone buzzing every five minutes. Plus, she's isolated from the never-ending teen girl drama. Forgive me, but I fail to see the down-side here.
Amen. Not to mention they're expensive. I mean teenage daughters! The phones are bad enough.

Old 12-10-2013, 06:26 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,774,520 times
The downside is if your kid winds up very socially isolated, and depressed. However, a lot of the "friend" business that is happening on social media is ersatz friendship. If the kid is doing well in school and sees friends at activities, and sees friends on the weekend, they're fine, with or without social media. Not to mention that social media is often used for bullying. My daughter made a conscious choice to stay out of it for just that reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting