Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2013, 06:22 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,780,482 times

Advertisements

What happened right before he fell? Did he accidentally fall and hit his head, or did he just drop for no reason? If he fell and hit his head, he could have seized from the trauma, and it will likely never happen again. If he fell for no reason, then it is very likely that he fell because he was having a seizure. Your description really sounds like a seizure, including the post-ictal state. It still may very likely never happen again. You need to have the EEG redone. Keep him up the night before, and bring him in sleep-deprived, so that he is likely to fall asleep during the EEG - some brain wave irregularities are best seen when the person is asleep.

The fact that he is adopted means that you really don't know what the family history is, because some people might be ashamed to mention that they had a history of seizures.

A blood sugar of 65 is nothing to worry about in this situation.

Try not to worry. Even if it was a seizure, odds are that it will never happen again. For the time being, I would put him on seizure precautions. That means no riding bikes in the street (might seize and fall in front of a car), no bath tub alone or swimming alone - must be closely supervised around water. He could seize in the tub and drown in a few inches of water.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2013, 07:32 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,085,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angrymillionaire View Post
Thanks wakru and thanks hope.

When someone has epilepsie are they not supposed to have dramatic wild concussions pardon my ignorance but he was more vegetative
It's called an absence seizure when it's not convulsive but more staring off into space.

Old 12-10-2013, 08:32 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,078,069 times
I remember many years ago- probably 25- I had a neighbor whose young son did the same thing. Everybody got all excited talking about epilepsy and such and of course the parents were fit to be tied. Kid is now in his 30s and never had another one. I know some kids have seizures with high tempt too but I'm sure you would have known if he was running a temp. I'm sure you will be extra diligent and worried but all you can do is follow up with the doc and see what happens.
I have adopted kids too and we tend to worry so much about them because we feel we don't have enough info to know all possibilities but this can and does happen with bio kids too so of course I doubt his being of unknown medical origins has much to do with it. Kids do weird things. My oldest DD once ran a fever of 105 in the middle of the night when she was about 3. I panicked and stuck her in a cool tub immediately and gave her meds. I was home alone with two little kids and didn't have enough sense to call an ambulance. I went to bed with her and the next morning she was chipper and ready to go to pre school like nothing ever happened. I was in shock for 4 days.

Old 12-10-2013, 09:35 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Everybody got all excited talking about epilepsy and such and of course the parents were fit to be tied. Kid is now in his 30s and never had another one.
It's very common to only have one. Then there are partial absence seizures that only show themselves in headaches afterwards. As a result, any child who has had a seizure, never has another, but continues to have regular headaches should be evaluated.

Old 12-10-2013, 10:01 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angrymillionaire View Post
My son fell out of the blue this morning forehead hit the ground. Normally he gets up by himself so after a second of laying there my brother picked him up he was rolling his eyes and could not breathe. My brother tried resucciirating him with mouth to mouth for a good 10mins. He finally regained consciousness was breathing but he was in a vegetable state could not move eyes were open but we were wondering if he could see or hear. When the ambulance arrived we axed if he could see and hear and all he did was nod. No answer verbally.

Arrived at hospital he was still not talking. Dr. Asked him to walk towards me miracoulously he did without wobbling

Then they did tests and his Heart was okay blood okay but e.e.g. Hast to be done again as he kept moving

Fast forward the jungen aka little boy is back to normal now. Thoughts has anyone's kids gone thru this before. Any advice thanks guys

He is asleep now but was back to his mischievous ways hours after the ordeal. He looks fine. Thoughts

Oh his glucose level was 65 which I'm told is normal but low could that be why he fell and do u consider this fainting or more
I think it's possible he fainted. You could always do a followup with a pediatriac neurologist if you're concerned about it being seizures.

Old 12-10-2013, 10:08 PM

2,779 posts, read 5,500,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
It's very common to only have one. Then there are partial absence seizures that only show themselves in headaches afterwards. As a result, any child who has had a seizure, never has another, but continues to have regular headaches should be evaluated.
Yes, my sister had a grand mal seizure when she was 18mths old and stopped breathing. She never had another one although she was monitored for years.

OP, I would consider seeing a neurologist. Epilepsy is actually quite common in young children and often resolves. Or it could just be a knock on the head, shock etc. My son at 16mths fell and hit his head and had what looked like a seizure where he shook all over for a minute before starting to cry. The CT showed nothing and it never happened again, he's 7 now.

Old 12-10-2013, 10:14 PM

1,248 posts, read 2,166,344 times
I agree with the other posters who mentioned that it might have been a seizure. That is what it sounds like to me, but I am not a doctor. Did the ER docs not give you any ideas of what they thought happened?

Old 12-11-2013, 01:09 AM

1,373 posts, read 2,957,595 times
There hasn't been a diagnosis doctor said sometimes kids do that but I have never heard this before.

My son feels good now but we are still at the hospital. We were adviced to stay overnight just in case

Old 12-11-2013, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
It's called an absence seizure when it's not convulsive but more staring off into space.
Thanks off to google

Old 12-11-2013, 03:08 AM

Thanks guys according to EEG scan there were abnormal spikes so we are waiting for futher tests. No diagnosis yet until then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting