U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2013, 08:07 PM

4,852 posts, read 8,324,492 times

Advertisements

Our son is 24 and has just purchase his first home. It's a townhome and yes, he'll get a roommate but much cheaper than renting and seemingly, a fairly nice community! Very proud of him.

Even though his dad wanted him to stay at home until he finished college, I (mom) could tell it was time. He had been looking and would text me properties. All good. He has a good job and has 1 year to go in college but will continue part time.

He closed in November, 2013 and has been fixing it up himself as much as possible and getting some help from contractors. I think he's close to getting most it done.

We have told him he can take whatever he wants. Just today, he told me he is taking his mattress but not the bed (ugh). Oh well.

What do you take when moving from your parents' home? Ever single thing you had in your room?
I'd like to turn the room into a type of "guest room" so down the road, I'll be looking for ideas.

Our daughter lives out of state but still has tons in her room. In fact, she brings one set of clothes when she comes home b/c all the rest are here (home). High school, college stuff, etc - all still with us.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2013, 08:28 PM

20,426 posts, read 35,741,970 times
My kids were free to take all the furniture from their rooms... and they did.

They both have some stuff here. It is leaving ever so slowly, but that is alright with me. What is left takes up 1/2 of their closet space. Which leaves more than enough room for guests.

Old 12-14-2013, 08:29 PM

12,921 posts, read 19,803,871 times
I took my clothes and personal items. I was getting married, so my husband and I purchased furniture together.

My two youngest are away at college, and they each took a dresser, a desk and chair, tv, stereo etc. It was easier to buy them each new beds than to transport the ones at home.

Honestly? When they graduate we would like to seriously downsize. When that happens, we will have far too much furniture for the size house I envision, so they will be welcome to much of it. We have two storage rooms full of childhood toys, etc, and they will have to go through it all to see what they want to keep.

Old 12-14-2013, 09:13 PM

10,864 posts, read 18,902,231 times
When I left, I took my clothes and really nothing else, my mom decided I had to leave in a hurry. She still has all of my old furniture in my old bedroom, but she's added a big desk and a litterbox and refers to it as the spare room now.

Old 12-14-2013, 09:56 PM

36,434 posts, read 41,645,868 times
we tried to get ours to take a bunch of stuff including their collections and childhood and high school stuff. But neither one had any room. Finally when we moved out of state we told them both they had to come get their mess or it was going in the trash. They called my bluff because they knew I couldn't dream of parting with 20 years worth of legos, my little ponies, lincoln longs, calvin and hobes books, etc. And it's a good thing cause we adopted new babies and now they love playing with the toys their older siblings played with. We even have Castle Grayskull, matchbox cars, cabbage patch kids, american girl dolls.
And then son went to graduate school and needed to furnish apartment so we gave him a bunch of things he was very happy to have. Then he took a post doc overseas and wanted us to store all that mess again till he comes back. It's like a giant boomerang. So now our three car garage barely holds one car.

Old 12-14-2013, 10:32 PM

16,490 posts, read 15,932,856 times
I moved out of my parents house when I started college and I only took my clothes. Later I took an old dresser & bed frame. After my parents died I get take some pieces of furniture (ditto with my husband & his grandparents).

When my children left for college they only took their clothes and a few odds and ends. They bought their own furniture once they moved into apartments (out of state). Over the years my son (age 31) has sorted through a lot of the personal stuff in his old room. He has a few drawers in his dresser filled with sentimental items & favorite toys. but basically it is a guest room/storage room.

My daughter (age 26) still has all of her drawers & her closet full of clothes (she drastically changed sizes in her early 20s) plus boxes of books & stuff from college. Part of the problem is that they both live out of state and have very little extra time during their limited vacations at home. We try to go through a little each time that they are home.

The crunch time will come in a few years when I will have to move to a one level home due to my rheumatoid arthritis. Before that everything must be claimed or sold or given away as I won't move anything of my children's into a new home (or possible assisted living apartment). Not because I'm mean but if you are 30 or 35 years old you should have established your own home and your parents shouldn't be responsible for your "stuff".

I am thinking of when children of my friends went off to college, or got married or bought a house. I can not think of even one that took their childhood bedroom furniture with them.

Last edited by germaine2626; 12-14-2013 at 10:40 PM..

Old 12-14-2013, 10:40 PM

3,084 posts, read 6,468,408 times
When I moved out I took my entire bedroom set and two months later my husband brought his as well when we got married. We had a few odds and ends pieces of furniture given to us by my mother and a sweet neighbor, some of which I still have almost 35 yrs later....except the husband is now an ex. lol

My oldest daughter moved out around 24 and had just bought herself brand new bedroom furniture, so it of course went with her. Then she bought for the rest of her apartment after moving out.

Second oldest bought new furniture when she moved into her apartment after she graduated from college at 22.

So neither one took any furniture from home.

They both took all their clothes, accessories/decorative items from their rooms, and all personal items.
They both pretty much furnished their kitchens and such themselves after moving out as well.

Old 12-14-2013, 10:52 PM

43,012 posts, read 89,018,139 times
My siblings and I didn't take our furniture. It never occurred to us to ask. We didn't really need furniture since we all moved in with boyfriends or into college dorms. I moved with my clothes, my cat, my dog, silverware and my grandmother's china. That's it. Years later, when I moved out of state, my father and BIL delivered a bed, a loveseat and a kitchen table to me. I had forgotten about that. It was really sweet of them because it was a very far drive.

My children didn't take anything either at first. My daughter moved out of state. It was cheaper to buy new stuff. My son moved out of state but didn't need furniture until this year. He bought a bunch of furniture off of Craig's List, but I sent him mattress from his room.

I've finally decided that my nest has officially been empty long enough to clear out the bedrooms. I'm repainting and redecorating both rooms. I'm moving some furniture to storage in the attic and getting rid of the rest. Memories I find in their room, like trophies, posters, letters, etc., will be stored in boxes for them to find many years later when they clean out the attic after we die. These aren't things young adults typically want to take with them into their new adult life, but I know from experience it's nice to find them many years later.

Old 12-14-2013, 10:57 PM

16,490 posts, read 15,932,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
My siblings and I didn't take our furniture. It never occurred to us to ask. We didn't really need furniture since we all moved in with boyfriends or into college dorms. I moved with my clothes, my cat, my dog, silverware and my grandmother's china. That's it. Years later, when I moved out of state, my father and BIL delivered a bed, a loveseat and a kitchen table to me. I had forgotten about that. It was really sweet of them because it was a very far drive.

My children didn't take anything either at first. My daughter moved out of state. It was cheaper to buy new stuff. My son moved out of state but didn't need furniture until this year. He bought a bunch of furniture off of Craig's List, but I sent him mattress from his room.

I've finally decided that my nest has officially been empty long enough to clear out the bedrooms. I'm repainting and redecorating both rooms. I'm moving some furniture to storage in the attic and getting rid of the rest. Memories I find in their room, like trophies, posters, letters, etc., will be stored in boxes for them to find many years later when they clean out the attic after we die. These aren't things young adults typically want to take with them into their new adult life, but I know from experience it's nice to find them many years later.
How long have your children been gone?

Old 12-14-2013, 11:00 PM

43,012 posts, read 89,018,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
It's like a giant boomerang.
After I had been on my own for 11 years, a landlord caught me with my cat. I arrived home, opened the door, held up the cat carrier, and said, "She's baaaaack!!!" My father said, "I knew she'd be back someday. You all come back eventually." It's true. We all were in and out of the house on and off through the years. None of us were there for more than a month or two at a time. We'd just make temporary pit stops there until we found a new apartment after moving back into town, etc. The most fun was when my little sister ended up back at the same time for a month while we were in our mid and late 20s We hadn't lived together since we were minors. And we hadn't seen each other in years because she had lived in another country and I was in a different state. We had the greatest time. It's one of my fondest memories.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or