U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2007, 09:02 PM

202 posts, read 837,085 times

Advertisements

Alright, I will thrown in my story on kids. We had our first kid when we were both 31 and now we had our second at 33. We both went through a period where we enjoyed our freedom our "selfish" side of life and loved it. When we would go visit family that had kids we loved playing with them but then we would also love to go home to our quiet house. And then it seemed like one day we both woke up and realized we wanted kids, we really wanted them and it's been great. I am so glad we waited, we had friends that had them younger and they seem fine too. I just know we enjoyed our marriage and "selfish" time and now we really enjoy our kids. One last thing, kids are a lot of fun but they aren't easy, but the love you have for your kids can't be explained until you hold your child for the first time. Hope this helps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2007, 06:24 AM

1,608 posts, read 9,022,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariatherese View Post
Was having kids worth it for you?

Of course I'm sure everyone is glad to have their children in their lives! But if you could go back... would you make the decision to have kids again?

I don't have any yet, but I am getting married soon and my fiance wants to start a family really bad! I do love children, but there is so much I want to do with my life. I want to travel a lot. I want to become an accomplished artist and filmmaker, or maybe a writer (yes, I'm a dreamer). I'm afraid of giving up all my crazy but wonderful dreams. But, I'm 26... if I am going to have kids, I better do it soon, right?

So, parents, would you do it again?
Yes! Without a doubt. But one thing I didn't realize is just how challenging it is, especially with more than one. I have two little ones and there are days that I'm pulling my hair out. Days where they literally drive me up the wall. Days where they cling to me all day and I can't get anything done. But... I'd take that any day over not ever having had them in my life at all. It's by far the toughest job you'll ever have in your life, but it's worth it.

Old 04-21-2007, 09:29 AM

357 posts, read 1,123,746 times
yes, I'd do it again. we waited until we were in our 40s and that was perfect for us. we'd partied, had a great time, traveled all over the world, saved money and were nesting before my daughter arrived. we thought long and hard and decided to adopt as per our original plan when we married and it's been great. we're about to adopt again and we just love it.

my advice: wait til both of you are ready. you'll still have the occasional doubt, lol, but really wait until you're no longer partying, etc. we looked around and realized our life wouldn't change much, and it hasn't, except for the better .

Old 04-21-2007, 09:46 AM

1,703 posts, read 4,623,059 times
I have my two kids and plan on having at least 3 more! Kids are what life's about. You gotta understand that when you have kids your dreams change. They become more meaningful. Ya it's great to travel and do all that stuff but what does it really mean? Seeing a child's first smile, first laugh, first step, first "I love you"; there's nothing more meaningful. They enrich your life to an extent you just can't imagine. Like someone said earlier if you wait till you feel completely ready you'll probably be waiting forever.
Like my step dad says: Before you have kids you can't imagine your life with them and after you can't imagine your life without them.

Old 04-21-2007, 10:22 PM

2 posts, read 5,544 times
I love my kids!!!!! My husband and I have 4 children, 3 girls, 1 boy. They range in age from 21 - 5 !! We have been married for 22 years. Everyone I know second guesses what they should or shouldn't do. Maybe I should have waited to have my first child, maybe I shouldn't have waited to have my fourth. But I can't imagine a day without someone calling "MA", "MOM" or "MOMMY" It's the best feeling in the world.

Old 03-17-2010, 08:33 PM

1 posts, read 1,516 times
I would not have kids if I had my life to live over. Don't get me wrong, I love them, but my life was more fun and more fulfilling before kids. When I'm honest about this with friends and colleagues, it feels like there's always gasp, silence, then lots of agreement. How come we just don't get to talk about this?

Old 03-17-2010, 09:11 PM

67 posts, read 71,281 times
I had my first kid when I was 23. I found out I was pregnant 3 wks. After I graduated from college. I was married (and still am to the same great man) but needless to say, the first few years were difficult. We ended up having 3 more kids in 3 years (one set of twins).

If I could go back, I definitely would have waited until our marriage was rock solid, and we both knew each other in and out ( we'd only been married for 6 months before we found out). I would also only have two kids. I love my kids SO much but if I had to do it over, I'd have two, so we could spend more quality time with each of our kids, and do stuff we can't do too often with four kids, such as big family trips. However, the great things about having a larger family are that no one is ever lonely, and I never go a day without at least 4 hugs and I love yous. The moments such as babys first smile, laugh, word, seeing your 12 yo hit their first home run in little league or watching your 10 yo learn to do a flip off a diving board are moments that I wouldn't trade for the world.

Old 03-17-2010, 09:45 PM

4,851 posts, read 8,318,483 times
Smile A million times yes

Yes yes yes yes

Having my kids - best thing I ever did

Never a regret

Shocked at how they melted my heart

Old 03-18-2010, 09:53 AM

25,393 posts, read 29,697,018 times
Yes, because I woudln't have my kids in my life if I didn't.

Old 03-18-2010, 10:08 AM

15,527 posts, read 29,228,109 times
I see so much turmoil and unhappiness in others that are caused by their children, I wonder daily why people are willing to put up with it. I have been very happily childfree and would not change it for the world. Everybody is different, I understand, but I would not trade my freedom and happiness for the stress and overwhelming responsibility of caring for another human being. I would bet that, given the opportunity, many people would not do it over again. Just sayin'

20yrsinBranson
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or