Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2013, 02:22 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,907,231 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
Im just curious how kids with activities everyday of the week have time for homework? My son is 7 and when he gets home from school at 3 pm he sits with homework for an 1,5 hr and then he reads and does extra math. All together maybe 2- 2.5 hours. Then it's time to get ready for dinner, shower, play a little and go to bed at 7:30 pm. The older they get the more homework they get so again, how can they be practicing everyday and still maintain good grades. I would love my son to be involved in sports at some point but right now I don't see how he has the time.
When my kids were 7 they had maybe 20-30 minutes of homework. They never did extra math. They liked to read (they still do) and they would read before they went to bed. When they were that age they were home by 3, had a snack and did homework until 4. Practice started at 6:30 so they had time to play before practice. Even if they had a bit more than average homework they had plenty of time to finish it.

Does your son have so much homework because he is very slow in finishing it or do his teachers assign a huge amount of work?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2013, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv101 View Post
'Child resume building?????'

What kind of gobbledygook stuff is that?

I also have no idea why parents push their children like that. How are they supposed to live a rich and fulfilling life if they never have time for socializing, vacations, going to the movies or other recreational activities?
I guess different people have different ideas of what a rich and fulfilling life is. For most teens (remember the OP was talking about teens) involved in activities their activities are their recreational activities. I do not know a whole lot of teens who are pushed into activities that they do not want to do.

I can tell you that my sons would rather spend their Friday nights playing in the marching band or on the football field than wasting time at the movies.

Old 12-17-2013, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukiyo-e View Post
I think the colleges would rather see evidence of real accomplishment in fewer extracurriculars (national ranking, state band or orchestra section chair, award-winning video work, etc.) than a laundry list of activities that don't really indicate much other than that the participant was physically present.
This is what we have been told by our guidance counselors. The thing that many on this board do not understand is that a teen does not need to be in a million activities to be busy.

My youngest is a varsity wrestler and he practices M-Th and has tournaments Fri afternoon and Sat. That's just one activity and it keeps him busy six days a week. There are some freshman who joined the wrestling team who do not want to put in that much time. They skip practices and as a result most of them did not make varsity. If you want to be accomplished you need to put in the time no matter what activity you are doing.

Old 12-17-2013, 03:59 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,677,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
High school activities didn't start last week. I am 48 years old and when I was in high school (1979-1983) there were tons of high school activities available.

The thing that has changed is that years ago these were considered extra. Today they are considered essential. In order to be accepted to a good school a student really needs to have something on their resume besides just going to school. It doesn't have to be a school activity but they really need something.
I posted previously that in the SIXTIES you had to be involved in extra activities. Colleges didn't take just anyone. They wanted things like yearbook staff, or sports, participation in clubs at school, a part time job. You HAD to be involved in something, at least where I came from. It was competitive and if you merely went to high school and got good grades, it was not enough. I remember joining a few clubs at school for that purpose. Other kids did a lot more.

It gives you an advantage in high school but running little kids around to activities is largely a waste of time, as far as I'm concerned. They should be with family and friends and playing and learning on their own. That's better for them.

Old 12-17-2013, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
It gives you an advantage in high school but running little kids around to activities is largely a waste of time, as far as I'm concerned. They should be with family and friends and playing and learning on their own. That's better for them.
The OP was about teens not little kids.

Old 12-17-2013, 05:20 PM

22,587 posts, read 47,660,494 times
LOL!

I wonder how many times people will need to be reminded...

Old 12-17-2013, 05:29 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
I agree.

I get having "one" activity that a child really likes but to have several activities all during the week?

I am thankful back in the 80's they didn't really have this crap, the kids just played out side with all the other neighborhood kids.

child resume building, i really do have to laugh at that one as it is completley insane
Um, I grew up in the 80s.
And we played outside, too.
Not mutually exclusive.

Old 12-17-2013, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Um, I grew up in the 80s.
And we played outside, too.
Not mutually exclusive.
I grew up in the 70s/80s and we most certainly had activities. We also played outside when we were little. We didn't really play outside as teenagers though.

Old 12-17-2013, 06:37 PM

18,468 posts, read 31,635,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
I grew up in the 70s/80s and we most certainly had activities. We also played outside when we were little. We didn't really play outside as teenagers though.
but in all honesty, I dont remember after school activities other than sports, which I do not like and am not good at. I suppose there were, but I dodnt do any of them.

I am guessing that now a days, unfortunetely it isnt safe to let young children and even tees just "out" wherever, because there are a lot of nuts around. So by having these activites it keeps the teens/children busy..

I too like the other poster, could ride a bike all over the place with my friends and come home in time for dinner.....we knew when the sun was in this certain place it was roughly 5pm....and didnt have a watch.

I feel really old now.

Old 12-17-2013, 07:43 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,730,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
but in all honesty, I dont remember after school activities other than sports, which I do not like and am not good at. I suppose there were, but I dodnt do any of them.

I am guessing that now a days, unfortunetely it isnt safe to let young children and even tees just "out" wherever, because there are a lot of nuts around. So by having these activites it keeps the teens/children busy..

I too like the other poster, could ride a bike all over the place with my friends and come home in time for dinner.....we knew when the sun was in this certain place it was roughly 5pm....and didnt have a watch.

I feel really old now.
In high school in the late 80s/early 90s I was on the academic team, band, drama club, etc. and also surfed almost daily and played basketball. All by choice.

As for safety, kids who are involved in organized activities are less likely to engage in risky behaviors.

The notion that there have not always been afterschool activities for those interested is just not true. There may have been LESS activities, but no matter the number and type of activity, some kids will just naturally gravitate to doing more and some would rather not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting