Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2013, 01:31 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,746,361 times

Advertisements

Sounds as if you are just as argumentative. You HAD to be right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2013, 01:36 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purplepeach View Post
I need to vent! I just had the STUPIDEST argument with my 17 year old son. We had the radio on and the station was playing Christmas songs. I made the simple comment that "If you weren't Christian, and had to listen to these songs on the radio, wouldn't it bug you" -which he replied- this isn't Christmas music. There is nothing religious in Rudolph. I said- it is about rudolph pulling santa's sleigh on Christmas eve! and Santa comes from St. Nicholas! It is a Christmas song! It is only played during the Christmas season!! My original comment was not about rudolph- it was about all Christmas music. I tried to illustrate what I meant by saying that if I wanted to listen to country music but when I turned the radio on and there was some other religion's holiday music on I would not like it since I wanted to hear country music. So it led to him saying they don't play Christmas music in the big cities! I said that there are people of other religions everywhere not just in the city and these radio stations can be tuned in almost everywhere nowadays. Basically it boiled down to whether this is really Christmas music since they don't sing about God/Jesus and he felt it wouldn't bug anyone cuz it had a cool tune to it.
For heaven's sake- It wasn't meant to be such a literal comment that had to be proven/disproven by being so scrutinized!!!
Why is he sooooo argumentative and disagreeable??!!
Why were you wanting to argue with him over Christmas music?

How was he being disagreeable?

I love arguing with my kids -- I used to love arguing with my dad. It was fun listening to my dad argue with my Grandfather also.

Arguing with teens is just one way to communicate with them.

Old 12-18-2013, 01:43 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Yes, that is absolutely true. But anyone who turns to a country channel to specifcally hear country is going to be upset by hearing holiday music, regardles of their religious beliefs. It's not just non-Christians who might be upset. Also, many, many non-Christians, like myself, enjoy holiday music.
No. If you listen to most country stations, you already realize that most of them are fairly traditional and they very often play Christmas music -- often music by country music artists. You pretty much expect you're going to hear some Christmas music on country stations.

It might be more annoying to those who like pop music to hear Christmas music.

Old 12-18-2013, 02:08 PM

2,065 posts, read 1,864,413 times
Your son is becoming an independent person, with his own opinions. At his age, it helps him to get in touch with a need to feel separate and independent from his parents, by arguing with them. He needs to assert his own ideas which are contrary to his parents, and think this through for himself.
It's really a good thing!
I`m on my last teenager now. I guess I`ve gotten used to it.

Old 12-18-2013, 02:10 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
spirit of rebellion
but primarily lack of respect
they have been taught carefully by the boomers to distrust and resent all authority figures.
we boomers did a good job.
what we see is the result
young fools instead of old fools

Old 12-18-2013, 02:21 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,389,033 times
Quote:
I need to vent! I just had the STUPIDEST argument with my 17 year old son. We had the radio on and the station was playing Christmas songs. I made the simple comment that "If you weren't Christian, and had to listen to these songs on the radio, wouldn't it bug you" -which he replied- this isn't Christmas music. There is nothing religious in Rudolph. I said- it is about rudolph pulling santa's sleigh on Christmas eve! and Santa comes from St. Nicholas! It is a Christmas song! It is only played during the Christmas season!! My original comment was not about rudolph- it was about all Christmas music. I tried to illustrate what I meant by saying that if I wanted to listen to country music but when I turned the radio on and there was some other religion's holiday music on I would not like it since I wanted to hear country music. So it led to him saying they don't play Christmas music in the big cities! I said that there are people of other religions everywhere not just in the city and these radio stations can be tuned in almost everywhere nowadays. Basically it boiled down to whether this is really Christmas music since they don't sing about God/Jesus and he felt it wouldn't bug anyone cuz it had a cool tune to it.
For heaven's sake- It wasn't meant to be such a literal comment that had to be proven/disproven by being so scrutinized!!!
Your child argues (subject really doesn't matter) because they are smarter than you are. Someday when they have children of their own and are having their own arguments you can just smile at them.

Old 12-18-2013, 02:22 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,703,250 times
Quote:
Yes, you may be onto something. That may be where he was coming from.

And yes, you do hear regular songs as well. We were in the middle of milking cows and as I was taking a unit from one cow to the next I noticed 2 songs for sure in a row that were christmas origin and I just made the statement as I was walking. Not really meaning anything much by it other than observation. I never meant it to be a heated topic. I was just hurt that he is so hard to have a light hearted conversation with lately.
He's at an age where he is working on discovering who he is. One of the ways that teens do that is by playing Devil's Advocate as it were.

If anything, I think it is a good sign that he feels so comfortable with you that he is willing to argue and make his feelings known.

And, he did have a point: many of the songs that are played at Christmastime are not religious in any way, whatsoever.

Just because something is associated with a particular holiday, doesn't automatically make it religious.
There is a world of difference between "Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer" and "Hark! The Herald Angels Sing."

Old 12-18-2013, 02:24 PM

4,306 posts, read 13,471,916 times
Because teenagers argue with their parents! They're starting to figure out that you don't know everything and you don't have all the answers and you could actually be wrong about some things. They're also over being the "baby" and wanting to assert their own personalities and opinions and getting you to listen to them. Whether they actually believe any of the stuff doesn't matter, it's making sure they don't go along with everything you do or say. I think you'll be amazed how much they start agreeing with you in about, say, 20-30 years.

Why do parents always have a total conniption when their kid suddenly starts having a personality?!

Old 12-18-2013, 02:27 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,281,755 times
Quote:
Cause that's what 17 year olds do..........most times.

Old 12-18-2013, 02:35 PM

99,566 posts, read 4,492,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
Cause that's what 17 year olds do..........most times.
I don't think it stops at 17 or 18. A love for arguing is a lifelong trait for many people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting