Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2013, 06:44 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,189,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I once read that in Japan, some mothers are so devoted to their children, they will even show up to school and spend the whole day there, taking notes, getting the homework assignments for them, then when they come home from school, the mother is working with the child to make sure the child understands everything and completes the assignment.
The fact that this is done in Japan is somehow evidence that it is a Good Thing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2013, 07:56 AM

919 posts, read 1,690,834 times
OP is talking about elementary school, however, why about as these kids get older? This involvement doesn't just disappear. I am not a parent btw.

Anyway IMO Parent B is an extreme case and from my experience these "coddled" children are not too self sufficient by the time they are my age (college freshman) I think it's important to be there for your child when they need it, like Parent A. I believe my roommate was more of a B situation child. For 2 months her mother came banging on the door at 9 am every Saturday morning and sometime during the week. She welcomed the visits.

Other times, she calls her mother to come do her hair. She doesn't spend money because her mom will get mad-despite the fact that she works close to 30 hours a week. Her mom doesn't want her to work so bad that she is taking away her car next semester. This came up bc my roommate called mom during break (as she always does- I don't see this as a prob btw) saying she didn't feel too good so mom said " you shouldn't be working!!" The girl only had a headache.

She cannot dye her hair without speaking to mom, She can't call the bank without asking mom, she can't look for other schools without mom.

Maybe I have a skewed perception of things bc I am only 18 but its crazy how we are so different. For as long as I can remember ( and what my mom tell me) I've always been independent. My mom would help with my HW when I asked and would look It over when she had to sign it. She helped me sell candy for school but she always said handling the money and keeping it safe was my job.

At 15 y.o I took upon myself to put a babysitting ad up. I ran it by her (bc she was my ride) and she took me where I needed to be. At 16 when I got a car I began babysitting more families, got an actual job and was barely home tbh. Since then I've saved 3000$$. I opened up my own bank account by my school when I realized my bank was nowhere nearby. I do things like pierce my ear and dye my hair on my own.

I have been working in childcare/ with children for about 4 years and I've been old parents who are like Parent B believe that this will strengthen the relationship they have with their child but I feel like my relationship with my mom is great because she want overly involved. I do more than a lot of my friends and I believe that I have been successful because my mom has allowed me to make my own choices, thus learning how to "fend for myself" was inevitable.

I am able to do my own work, and make my own decisions bc my mom did not have me locked under her wing.

Old 01-05-2014, 03:35 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,281,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
I think A it's great. What is extreme about it?
Nothing!
B on rhe other hand....
I agree....

Old 01-05-2014, 04:14 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,369,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I'm waiting for options C and D.
Me, too.

Old 01-07-2014, 01:14 AM

27 posts, read 33,988 times
never mind
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting