Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2013, 09:30 AM

3,070 posts, read 5,220,695 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
Whereas, I can think of few of my husband's relatives who "tried to breastfed" but gave up within a few days or a week, I believe, in part, because they didn't have other experienced mothers cheering them on. It was sad.
That is exactly what I went through. The public health nurses never showed up to the house, the so-called experienced women who cheered me on when pregnant and said they would help me, never returned calls. I was left back at the emergency room with a bottle and told to get on with it. Turns out my son had severe acid reflux (not really a breastfeeding issue but to a clueless first time mother, I had no idea).

The second time, I went with experienced midwives and hired a doula, and had no problems aside from a tip here and there. The support made a huge difference and he's drunk on milk asleep right now at 14 months
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2013, 10:06 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,157,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliss2 View Post
That is exactly what I went through. The public health nurses never showed up to the house, the so-called experienced women who cheered me on when pregnant and said they would help me, never returned calls. I was left back at the emergency room with a bottle and told to get on with it. Turns out my son had severe acid reflux (not really a breastfeeding issue but to a clueless first time mother, I had no idea).

The second time, I went with experienced midwives and hired a doula, and had no problems aside from a tip here and there. The support made a huge difference and he's drunk on milk asleep right now at 14 months
I would bet a dollar that the community and medical support are geographically different based on the general social outlook of the location. I had trouble with my son, but nothing more exciting than not latching. The ped had a visiting nurse at my door as soon as they opened the same day. I then had a first appointment the following Monday with the practice's in house lactation consultant. It is too bad that kind of support is not everywhere!

Old 12-26-2013, 11:00 AM

10,942 posts, read 10,233,135 times
I know the LeLeche League was very active and available at one time and the few times I had issues the first time around I was able to call on one of their members.

I have to admit that I was lucky and had very few problems breastfeeding. I guess the biggest issue I had was when I got pregnant with Boy #4 while I was still nursing Boy #3. I called someone from the LeLeche League who told me she went through the same thing, nursed throughout her pregnancy and then "tandem nursed" her toddler and her newborn.

So, I figured if she could do it, so could I. Ugh. While she said it was a very rewarding experience, I found it to be a bit overwhelming and somewhere around here there are a couple of pictures my then husband took of me with a baby attached to each side - well, actually, an infant on one side, gently suckling, and a toddler on the other side....... chowing down - and me with my hand over my face, like I'm trying to hide my identity or something.

Old 12-26-2013, 02:42 PM

2,966 posts, read 3,906,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I strongly believe this is true but I don't criticize those moms who can't or won't do it.

Breast-feeding longer than six months tied to better cognitive, motor development - CBS News
Since breastfeeding past six months is linked to higher SES, it would be interesting to see if the researchers controlled for income in their study.

Old 12-27-2013, 12:02 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,427,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post
Two of my sons are talking about starting families with their wives and I hope they choose to nurse their babies.

When the time comes, I'll express my opinion about it early on - once -, but ultimately, I know it is their decision to make. I'm not going to lie, though - I will be disappointed if they don't at least try.

Im sorry, but why are you going to be disappointed if your sons wife decides not to breastfeed her child. It sounds like a judgement already. Im sure she would have a good reason and you are right, it's a personal decision.

With my first son I had a hard time and only nursed for a couple of months. Thank god for very understanding and supporting family who never once expressed or showed their disappointment or their opinions to me.It can be extreamly emotional as it is.

Last edited by glass_of_merlot; 12-27-2013 at 12:13 AM..

Old 12-27-2013, 05:16 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,227,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
Im sorry, but why are you going to be disappointed if your sons wife decides not to breastfeed her child. It sounds like a judgement already. Im sure she would have a good reason and you are right, it's a personal decision.

With my first son I had a hard time and only nursed for a couple of months. Thank god for very understanding and supporting family who never once expressed or showed their disappointment or their opinions to me.It can be extreamly emotional as it is.
To be fair, she did say that she'd only express her opinion about it once, early on, not that she'd express her disappointment or anything like that.

Old 12-27-2013, 05:42 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,157,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post
I know the LeLeche League was very active and available at one time and the few times I had issues the first time around I was able to call on one of their members.
I HATED the LeLeche League when I was a new Mom. They were very militant about a whole host of things that were not breastfeeding related but not that helpful with breastfeeding difficulty. Maybe it is the local chapter. Not saying they are not a resource to try. But with all advice, buyer beware.

Old 12-27-2013, 06:12 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,227,317 times
I found the internet my best source of help for breastfeeding. I had "supply problems" (looking back I think it was just normal cluster feeding that made me think my supply was too low - something the midwives should have explained to me but didn't) and was advised by the midwives to supplement with formula which just made it worse but read up about supply problems on the internet and realised I should feed more often to stimulate my supply and I was able to get a decent supply.

Old 12-27-2013, 08:29 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,914,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
I HATED the LeLeche League when I was a new Mom. They were very militant about a whole host of things that were not breastfeeding related but not that helpful with breastfeeding difficulty. Maybe it is the local chapter. Not saying they are not a resource to try. But with all advice, buyer beware.
I have been an active member of La Leche League for the past 7+ years, and while each group is certainly different, I can tell you that LLL in general has a pretty strict policy of not "mixing causes". Meaing that they are specifically supposed to avoid any topic outside of breastfeeding during meetings. Those topics may be addressed after the formal meeting is over, and by non-leaders, if people choose to hang around and chat amongst themselves, but it is not a part of the formal meeting. It's actually one of the main reasons that I did not become a LLL leader - I didn't want to be so censored in what I could talk about. I'm not sure when you had this experience, but I believe that this policy was adopted in response to complaints such as yours in the past, but I'm not sure when that happened.

Here is an LLL article about the topic (with LLL leaders as the intended audience):
LLLI | Mixing Causes

Old 12-27-2013, 08:42 AM

2,612 posts, read 5,574,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsku View Post
I found the internet my best source of help for breastfeeding. I had "supply problems" (looking back I think it was just normal cluster feeding that made me think my supply was too low - something the midwives should have explained to me but didn't) and was advised by the midwives to supplement with formula which just made it worse but read up about supply problems on the internet and realised I should feed more often to stimulate my supply and I was able to get a decent supply.
This happened to me too. All those so-called breast feeding experts said my supply was low, the doctors said my son was losing too much weight, and they gave me a breast pump with cups that were 3 sizes too big, then said it was a supply problem when the pump did nothing. What a disaster. I left the hospital with formula, then when I got home and got to a computer (plus, was able to get a few hours sleep and think straight), I realized it all felt wrong and just decided to feed more. That worked - my son was absolutely fine every step of the way. But all these experts and lactation people don't know anything - they convinced me that if my son was feeding a lot it was because there wasn't enough milk, and also that there was something wrong with me if it hurt. But it didn't hurt because something was wrong - over time it stopped hurting, but as I've since discovered, lots of women feel a lot of pain from normal breastfeeding at first. The weight loss in the hospital turned out to be normal - my son was late and 8lbs - my husband and I are very small people, in the 50 percentile for height and weight. So it wouldn't have been normal for our son to remain in the 80th percentile. He dropped to 50 in a few weeks and has been there ever since.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting