Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2014, 05:39 PM

22,444 posts, read 11,969,169 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
I HATED the LeLeche League when I was a new Mom. They were very militant about a whole host of things that were not breastfeeding related but not that helpful with breastfeeding difficulty. Maybe it is the local chapter. Not saying they are not a resource to try. But with all advice, buyer beware.
Thank you for this post! I, too, came to have a real dislike for La Leche League. When I had my daughter in the mid-80s, I bought La Leche League's "bible". It was filled with stories about mothers who easily breast fed. There was even one about a woman who adopted a child and before she took the baby home, she started pumping her breasts---and voila!---she had milk and a very willing baby.

What the "bible" didn't have was a section on what to do when you have a child who doesn't want to nurse. I called their "warm line" and the woman I got didn't seem to be all that interested in helping me.

I tried everything that I knew to try but my daughter refused to nurse and my milk never really came in. This prolonged my post partum depression. After all, the "bible" and the childbirth classes made it seem so easy. I really looked forward to breast feeding but it wasn't meant to be.

My daughter now has 3 boys. The first 2 are twins. She never even tried to breast feed. I don't hold that against her at all. She explained that she had to go back to work soon after the kids were born and her job wasn't one that was conducive to pumping milk during work hours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting