Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2007, 06:35 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,383,485 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseba View Post
I was on this thread, http://www.city-data.com/forum/polit...should-27.html almost single handedly debating the merits of NOT spanking kids.
Roseba, we are in minority here and it is very unfortunate. I had lost my breath on this forum defending my position not to spank and I got a lot of: "oh you are so judgemental, you don't understand, blah blah blah". It is hard for me even now to keep my mouth shot and not get involved in this debates, but I realize that if I want to be supported on my position not to spank, perhaps this message board is not the place to start. I still really enjoy lurking here and there a lot of moms here that are great, but if you want to feel at home when it comes to spanking, perhaps you should visit www.mothering.com
It's less mainstream and supports natural family living.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2007, 05:11 AM

3,570 posts, read 3,758,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post
Roseba, we are in minority here and it is very unfortunate. I had lost my breath on this forum defending my position not to spank and I got a lot of: "oh you are so judgemental, you don't understand, blah blah blah". It is hard for me even now to keep my mouth shot and not get involved in this debates, but I realize that if I want to be supported on my position not to spank, perhaps this message board is not the place to start. I still really enjoy lurking here and there a lot of moms here that are great, but if you want to feel at home when it comes to spanking, perhaps you should visit www.mothering.com
It's less mainstream and supports natural family living.
Mothering magazine is a great magazine if not a bit pricy. I never saw one magazine with THAT MANY ads for various types of slings.

While many parents do not practice "attachment parenting", a larger portion do practice gentle discipline principals, even if they aren't aware. And some follow the teachings of Jane Neelson as well.

Ovusoft.com forums in their attachment parenting area has A LOT of mamas who agree. There are also a plethora a parents on Delphiforums (more then one board on that.)

So we aren't in the minority, just in this forum which, is dedicated to a very specific topic, relocation.

Old 12-28-2007, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Mothering magazine is a great magazine if not a bit pricy. I never saw one magazine with THAT MANY ads for various types of slings.

While many parents do not practice "attachment parenting", a larger portion do practice gentle discipline principals, even if they aren't aware. And some follow the teachings of Jane Neelson as well.

Ovusoft.com forums in their attachment parenting area has A LOT of mamas who agree. There are also a plethora a parents on Delphiforums (more then one board on that.)

So we aren't in the minority, just in this forum which, is dedicated to a very specific topic, relocation.
I had been an AP parent since my son's birth...I haven't heard of listed sites, but will check them out.
You are a New Yorker, right? I checked out your profile...I live in NY as well...too bad you are relocating to Denver, we need more AP moms in this city.

Old 12-28-2007, 07:44 AM

Quote:
I had been an AP parent since my son's birth...I haven't heard of listed sites, but will check them out.
You are a New Yorker, right? I checked out your profile...I live in NY as well...too bad you are relocating to Denver, we need more AP moms in this city.
There are tons of AP moms in the city. Just take one hike in Park Slope and you'll see what I mean.

It's too expensive here. I'd like to own my own home one day. Living in NYC, you either have had to got in early, or you have to make over $150,000 just to play.

Old 12-28-2007, 11:58 AM

12,711 posts, read 13,479,163 times
Quote:
So we aren't in the minority, just in this forum
The extreme anti-spanking position is most definitely a minority position almost everywhere.

Old 12-28-2007, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
The extreme anti-spanking position is most definitely a minority position almost everywhere.
Maybe in places without oceans, but certainly not on the coasts.

And since when is anti-spanking "extreme".

Old 12-28-2007, 12:33 PM

1,363 posts, read 5,928,196 times
Quote:
Maybe in places without oceans, but certainly not on the coasts.

And since when is anti-spanking "extreme".
I don't think he meant anti-spanking is extreme. I think he meant an extreme anti-spanking position, i.e.: not respecting another parent's decision to do so, being militant about putting down a parent who chooses to use spanking, etc. Just as some spankers can be extreme in not even entertaining NOT spanking.

Old 12-28-2007, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by regarese View Post
I don't think he meant anti-spanking is extreme. I think he meant an extreme anti-spanking position, i.e.: not respecting another parent's decision to do so, being militant about putting down a parent who chooses to use spanking, etc. Just as some spankers can be extreme in not even entertaining NOT spanking.
Exactly, thank you.

Old 12-29-2007, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by regarese View Post
sorry, just as some things are universally wrong, I consider spanking to be universally wrong. I put spanking a child on the same level as a husband hitting a wife. Call me extreme.

Last edited by max's mama; 12-29-2007 at 08:17 AM..

Old 12-29-2007, 10:37 AM

Quote:
sorry, just as some things are universally wrong, I consider spanking to be universally wrong. I put spanking a child on the same level as a husband hitting a wife. Call me extreme.
Okay, you're extreme. And your extreme position is a minority.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting