Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2014, 02:39 PM

4,196 posts, read 6,270,909 times

Advertisements

hi,
so we have twins....14 months old.....they got ear infections and bronchitis a couple of weeks back that meant a few very very uncomfortable nights for them, and for us. now things are back to normal, but one of the twins wakes up at 5 am and cries and cries and cries wanting to come sleep with us.

we've tried hushing her back to sleep (works 10% of the time), but we often just give in and bring her back to our bed so that she doesn't wake up baby B. She then falls sleep (sort of) in our bed, but kicks and moves to the point that we can't get a good night sleep for the rest of the night. (ie. the remaining 2-2.5 hours). this MUST stop! Should we just let her cry it out for a few nights.....and risk she waking up baby B, in the hopes that they'll 'both' go back to their original routine pre-sickness? (8pm to 7am straight! It was beautiful!)

my question for you: have you had this problem and how did you overcome it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2014, 03:13 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,735,973 times
One of my kids used to wake up and cry because she wanted to be in my bed. I ended up putting a toddler bed in my room for her because my husband refused to sleep with a kid in the bed, even though she didn't kick or wiggle like some kids do. I tried letting her cry it out first but it went on for a month and we were living in an apartment and the neighbors kept complaining. She slept in the toddler bed in our room for two years.

Old 01-09-2014, 03:16 PM

35,095 posts, read 50,984,986 times
Until you quit giving in she will continue to cry because she knows you will give in.
She also may still have the ear infection going on so you may want to have that checked again as well just as a precaution.

Old 01-09-2014, 07:15 PM

1,047 posts, read 3,977,995 times
I look at it another way, not as "giving in". Some very wise parents used to tell me to enjoy all those times to be close and to cuddle, for it goes by fast. The day will come when you WISH they wanted to be near you! I let any of my kids come in bed with us. My youngest went through a stretch when she was 3 and afraid to sleep alone. That lasted for a year! She's almost 10 now and came in the other night after a bad dream. My oldest son is 17. He was my kid that slept with us a long time also. Now I look at him and it's hard to believe he was a little sweet cuddly kid. Enjoy it if you can. It will pass. How can anyone just let a child cry and be miserable? I do like the idea of the toddler bed in your room next to you if she moves around a lot. Or sometimes I would just move to another bed. I hope you find what works best for you! But, they will leave eventually!

Old 01-09-2014, 11:12 PM

2,845 posts, read 5,991,042 times
This article has some good advice to "untrain" your child. It does take some work, there will be tears, but there is no need for a child not to sleep in her own bed.

How to Get Child to Sleep in Their Beds - Sleeping in Kids Own Bed - Parenting.com

Old 01-10-2014, 02:13 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,207,766 times
How long has this been going on? I've found so far that most sleep problems are just phases and they pass by themselves eventually if you don't want to leave her to cry it out. What about moving her back to her bed after she falls asleep in yours?

Old 01-10-2014, 06:32 AM

741 posts, read 1,282,946 times
Ok, this happens on and off with my 18 month old. There are nights where she wakes up at 10 pm or 2 am and will pitch an absolute fit if we don't bring her into our bed. Once in our bed, she has a sip of water or nurses for five minutes and is out like a light. No, it's not comfortable for us, it actually sucks. But I try to enjoy getting a few nights here and there to roll over and give her kisses. In a few days it seems to pass and she goes back to sleeping through the night in her own room just fine. No idea if she's having bad dreams, teething pains, getting scared or what, but my husband and I are just rolling with it for now.

Old 01-10-2014, 07:03 AM

2,382 posts, read 5,374,275 times
My daughter did this on and off from about 1.5 to 3. It wasn't that big of a deal for us since we get up around 5:30 or 6 anyway.

Old 01-10-2014, 07:03 AM

4,796 posts, read 5,970,247 times
Tough question.........we only on rare occasion had ours in bed with us only in the event of real sickness. Most times would check on them and let them cry it out which they would in a short time.......never continued crying. Again those rare times they slept with my wife in the spare bedroom. We never had them in cribs in our room either.

It took a while to get them to stay in the toddler beds once they had their freedom

Having twins is something that is hard to describe......it is like having two little Minnie me's running around. Ours are identical and have developed a deep bond. They are five now and are wildly exuberant 24/7. As others have said enjoy your time now.

www.ameliaislandtwins.com

Old 01-10-2014, 09:03 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,035,367 times
We never let them sleep in our bed. I'd go to their room, or sleep on the couch with them nearby. They got up early, so we did too. We traded off sleeping in on weekends. I don't know how to undo it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting