Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2014, 01:15 PM

741 posts, read 1,285,453 times

Advertisements

I didn't have too much of a problem with this, it really depends on what you consider gender neutral.
Is a white shirt with a puppy on it for a girl or boy? I see something like that as gender neutral, some in my family think you can't put puppies or a truck or a pirate ship on a girl. Why? I don't know

In an alternate case, I have a light blue onsie with a sunflower on it. I think neutral, my mother in law is aghast at putting a flower shirt on a boy. Sometimes you just can't win.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2014, 03:10 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,682,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Yeah, it's kind of sad that baby boys cannot be seen in pink. My neighbor, who came from a big family herself, had a girl first and then a boy. She dressed the boy in pink sleepers once in a while.
It's kind if ironic because less than 100 years ago it was the opposite. Pink or "light red" was seen as a younger version of the masculine red, and blue was the color if innocence so it was much more common for girls. Even in Peter Pan Michael darling is in a pink sleeper and Wendy is in a blue night gown.

Old 01-21-2014, 03:11 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,682,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
Well, pink used to be for boys, and blue for girls - back in the mid-nineteenth century. Pink was seen as a sort of juvenile version of red, a distinctly masculine color, while light blue was viewed as delicate and feminine, so appropriate for baby girls. I'm not sure when - or why - it changed.

Actually, most babies of this era, and for many years afterwards, wore white the vast majority of the time, as it could be bleached and stains removed fairly easily - and it was definitely unisex, as far as color was concerned.

Of course, little boys wore dresses until they were three or so back then, too...so handing baby and toddler clothes down was considerably simpler.
Beat me to it!

Old 01-21-2014, 08:13 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,683,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
My daughter learned early onin her pregnancy that she was having a boy. It seems ultrasounds are routine today and mothers know the gender of their baby before birth.

I have gone shopping for my future Grandson, and bought infant boy clothes, but my daughter said she wants some Unisex clothing , bedding, etc., in yellows and greens in order to pass down some things if her next child should be a girl.

Difficult. Everything today seems to be EITHER for a boy or a girl with very few things that are gender neutral. While mothers-to-be are aware of their child's gender, are the manufacturers really the ones benefiting from this? If things are only for either a boy or a girl, you will have to go out and buy all new things if you have a child of the opposite sex.

Having children is expensive. There is no need to make it MORE expensive than it needs to be.
The baby isn't born yet....why buy much now? You don't know what size the kiddo will be wearing...he could be skinny and tall...or a bit of a chub...and that will effect the size. Why buy a bunch of 3 month stuff...when he might be more comfortable in 3m to 6m?

There is something to be said for the tradition of not buying everything before the baby is born.

Old 01-21-2014, 08:57 PM

145 posts, read 226,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
The baby isn't born yet....why buy much now? You don't know what size the kiddo will be wearing...he could be skinny and tall...or a bit of a chub...and that will effect the size. Why buy a bunch of 3 month stuff...when he might be more comfortable in 3m to 6m?

There is something to be said for the tradition of not buying everything before the baby is born.
Pajamas and onesies will need to be bought, and a decent amount. Not much longer until the baby is born. The baby is measuring bigger than average, and if he takes after my husband, will be a very big baby and won't fit into newborn clothes when he's born.

Old 01-22-2014, 05:09 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,427,310 times
I thought I wouldn't want girly clothes for my daughter...until I had her. Now I can't get enough. There are adorable clothes for girls and I love to dress her up. :-) :-)
My son wasn't as much fun to shop for.

Old 01-22-2014, 05:51 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,185,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlover84 View Post
Pajamas and onesies will need to be bought, and a decent amount. Not much longer until the baby is born. The baby is measuring bigger than average, and if he takes after my husband, will be a very big baby and won't fit into newborn clothes when he's born.

Don't discount gifts you will get...For our kids, we got so many gifts of clothing that we didn't need to buy them any clothing for the first year of their life.

Last edited by Jaded; 01-24-2014 at 12:00 AM..

Old 01-22-2014, 07:41 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,427,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post

Don't discount gifts you will get...For our kids, we got so many gifts of clothing that we didn't need to buy them any clothing for the first year of their life.
Same here. Its awesome!

Old 01-22-2014, 10:20 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,851,991 times
Now about just using Rit to change unwanted colors to something more acceptable?

Old 01-22-2014, 10:59 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,185,650 times
There is also the fact that boys are boys and girls are girls and really, is wearing a pink sleeper really going to change who they are...NO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting