U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2007, 09:00 AM

559 posts, read 1,168,365 times

Advertisements

As a parent can I tell an employer that I do not want my 17 year old working at the place of business? I did that and was informed she was working today in a different capacity then originally hired for but still the same company.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2007, 10:00 AM

8,323 posts, read 13,012,542 times
I don't know for sure if you can - it really depends where you live. Some states say yes and others say no. IMHO, if you don't want your daughter working there, then talk to her about quitting and finding something else.

Edit: The reason I say talk to your daughter is because at 17, you should be trying to release the reins and make her into an adult who makes her own decisions.

If she's really happy there, I wouldn't get involved.

Old 11-29-2007, 10:42 AM

559 posts, read 1,168,365 times
Default Thanks

Yes she's happy, she makes a lot of money for a 17 year old.......

The job is a waitress in a Truck Stop where she makes over 100.00 a day for 6 hours.

The problem is with the people she's met there. She went from being a wonderful straight A responsible kid to a lying, irresponsible, nasty teenager. I fear that all she's worked hard for is going to go down the drain. She's angry that we can't afford the 30,000 per year school she wants to go to....

Old 11-29-2007, 10:49 AM

2,484 posts, read 7,841,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by casper324 View Post

The job is a waitress in a Truck Stop where she makes over 100.00 a day for 6 hours.

The problem is with the people she's met there. She went from being a wonderful straight A responsible kid to a lying, irresponsible, nasty teenager. I fear that all she's worked hard for is going to go down the drain. She's angry that we can't afford the 30,000 per year school she wants to go to....
I would argue her nastiness is due more to angst of restricted opportunities rather than working as a waitress. Sounds as if she's trying to save up money herself to go to school.

Old 11-29-2007, 05:43 PM

8,323 posts, read 13,012,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by casper324 View Post

It sounds like what every teenager does when they get a job. They get a taste for money and do a flip-flop in personality. Most teenagers nowadays try to be mainstream, though, the current mainstream is not to be an angel.

I don't think it's just the job that has changed her.

Most teenagers get angry when their parents tell them that they can't afford something. Especially something like College. But, don't bust your butt trying to afford it - there are all sorts of grants, loans and such to help with this.

A bit of advice: Help her with the admissions to see if she's even accepted to this school she wants to go to. Then assist her with the FAFSA.

Like I said, release the reins a bit and have her take them over. If she starts to complain, let her know why you're letting her do what she needs to get what she wants. Let her know that she's becoming an adult and you want to make the transition as smooth as possible.

As for the job thing, if she's happy and earning money - then I'd say let her. Unless she's being abused and such, there should be no concern.

Just remember, she's 17 - in less than a year she will be an adult and fully responsible for herself in the world according to our government. You're being a great parent by being concerned for her well-being. Hopefully, she'll understand this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting