Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2014, 01:06 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
I think they are very similar in this context. You are lamenting "kids today" who are too lazy, spoiled, entitled to have the knowledge, patience and budget concerns to perform their own labor. Why would that only count for cars? I suspect because it reflects your personal knowledge and capabilities. My family comes from farmers. No doubt my grandparents would be stumped as to why I'd buy a tomato or beans from a grocery store when in their experience thrifty people would have a garden. Of course they lived in part of the country that had excellent soil. I don't.
My grandmother always put up her fruit... she was surprised my mom had stopped doing this because Mom had the know how, had done it for a long time, had the fruit trees and the jars.

Mom simply said working as nurse and and raising a family left little time for canning.

I think in all of my examples the adults had been there and done that and may do it again someday.

I really should not be too surprised about the trend with cars because just about all my friends also help or buy their kids homes... might just be a Condo... yet Mom and Dad are there.

One of my good friends said she just wanted her daughter out of the house and buying a one bedroom condo was a small price to pay to get a 27 year old out.

I can tell I'm not doing a very good job with this... you know us engineer types.

It's not that I think the too many kids or lazy or spoiled... on the contrary, I think too many parents coddle their adult or soon to be adult children... the blame as such lies sqauarely on the parents.

My soon to be 13 year old niece has asked me to teach her about cars so she will be ready when she is 16. Her parents are fine with me showing her how to drive the ranch jeep on my property... she will learn how to operate a clutch, park, backup and what to check before she gets her license to drive on a public street.

She will also know to carry jumper cables and how to use them safely...

There are a lot of girls in my family and when it comes to Christmas and Birthdays I'm the one that just about always gives tools... funny thing is those barbies they recieved as children are long gone... the shiney red tool boxes each of them have are still around... same for the boys... just saying we have a ratio of girls four to one and they are all very capable young ladies and men.

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 02-01-2014 at 01:25 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2014, 01:22 PM

2,966 posts, read 3,916,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
My grandmother always put up her fruit... she was surprised my mom had stopped doing this because Mom had the know how, had done it for a long time, had the fruit trees and the jars.

Mom simply said working as nurse and and raising a family left little time for canning.

I think in all of my examples the adults had been there and done that and may do it again someday.

I really should not be too surprised about the trend with cars because just about all my friends also help or buy their kids homes... might just be a Condo... yet Mom and Dad are there.

One of my good friends said she just wanted her daughter out of the house and buying a one bedroom condo was a small price to pay to get a 27 year old out.

I can tell I'm not doing a very good job with this... you know us engineer types.

It's not that I think the too many kids or lazy or spoiled... on the contrary, I think too many parents coddle their adult or soon to be adult children... the blame as such lies sqauarely on the parents.

My soon to be 13 year old niece has asked me to teach her about cars so she will be ready when she is 16. Her parents are fine with me showing her how to drive the ranch jeep on my property... she will learn how to operate a clutch, park, backup and what to check before she gets her license to drive on a public street.

Well, since YOU know people like this, it must be representative of the entire generation. Thank you for setting us straight!

Old 02-01-2014, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawflower View Post
Well, since YOU know people like this, it must be representative of the entire generation. Thank you for setting us straight!
You are much too kind... but I accept in the spirit given.

One thing I have is opinions and fortunately this thread is about opinions...

Thanks again... don't often wander outside the Real Estate and Auto forums... looks like I will have to expand my horizons.

Old 02-01-2014, 02:07 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,458,432 times
Quote:

There are a lot of girls in my family and when it comes to Christmas and Birthdays I'm the one that just about always gives tools... funny thing is those barbies they recieved as children are long gone... the shiney red tool boxes each of them have are still around... same for the boys... just saying we have a ratio of girls four to one and they are all very capable young ladies and men.
But you keep limiting it to things YOU can do...Did your parents coddle you by not insisting you learn how to sew or can since these are very basic living skills?

Old 02-01-2014, 02:44 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quote:
funny thing is those barbies they recieved as children are long gone... the shiney red tool boxes each of them have are still around...
Rubbish. Girls and women do both.

You need to get out more.

Old 02-01-2014, 02:48 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,458,432 times
I think the takeaway here (at least for me) - is that it is trendy to eyeroll and dismiss "kids today" about things we can do but they can't. In reality, it is more realistic to consider that they simply have a different skillset. Just like we did in comparison to our own parents.

Old 02-01-2014, 02:50 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
when i needed a car my parents told me to get a job and buy one.
when i needed education they told me the same.
but now i live in another world. maybe my parents were different than yours.
i know i sure am different than the world i live in.

Old 02-01-2014, 02:50 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,909,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
My comment was a follow-on from other posts, I meant most teens don't know or aren't interested in maintaining their vehicles hands-on themselves. I wasn't talking about taking a vehicle in to a service shop, that's just part of the responsibility of vehicle ownership.
I agree that most teens are not interest in maintaining their vehicles hands on. However, it really is a parent's responsibility to teach kids how to maintain the vehicle whether the kid does it hands on or takes it in to be fixed. They have never owned a car before so they have to learn how to take care of it. I don't think we disagree on this matter my comments were additional to yours.

Old 02-01-2014, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
But you keep limiting it to things YOU can do...Did your parents coddle you by not insisting you learn how to sew or can since these are very basic living skills?
Some coddling is to be expected with a child... my issue is at what point does that child grow up... a car is a huge event along with the responsibility that goes with it... at least it was.

Could very well be a car is not such a big deal anymore... nothing more than an expensive appliance.

I'm glad my parents allowed me the opportunity to buy my own car with money I had earned... doubt it would have meant as much if it had been bought for me...

But you are right... my opinions are only that.

It's kind of ironic in that my family is in the car business and no one was given a car... all of us kids bought and paid for our cars with money we had earned and none of our first cars came from the Dealership... simply could afford anything new or late model.

Paying for insurance was a bigger problem then paying for the car... my insurance as a 16 year old was more than the price I paid for my car...

Dad hadn't owned a car in decades... he drove something new home every night... so there wasn't a family car just sitting around and mom needed her car for work.

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 02-01-2014 at 02:59 PM..

Old 02-01-2014, 02:52 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,909,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
Ha. If only you saw the cars the wealthy people out here buy their kids. Trust me, it isn't just a middle class issue.
I am the wealthy people. My kids drive hand me down cars. So do most of their friends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting