Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2008, 07:04 PM

4,818 posts, read 10,996,391 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
Dairy is a common trigger of eczema.
I agree with this. Our young son had very bad eczema when he was 4 months to 10 months old. This among other things gave us suspection he was allergic to something. Our local doctor said that eczema is often a sign of some type of food allergy. In our case it was dairy...which he was tested to be allergic too. Once we eliminated it just after his first birthday after we found out the allergy results, his ezcema cleared right up and we have had no signs since. He is 3 1/2 now. He does drink soy milk and soy ice cream. Our allergist we see now says that kids with milk allergies often have asthma as well...or at least the chance of having asthma is about 70 pct higher if you have a milk allergy. And you guessed it he does have a mild form of asthma. Both are being treated at the moment at a special allergy clinic.

Dan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2008, 10:22 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,638,226 times
I wonder why the asthma rate is so high in children now a days? Growing up in the sixties, I didn't know any kids with asthma.

Old 10-12-2008, 01:53 PM

58 posts, read 193,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zonababe View Post
I wonder why the asthma rate is so high in children now a days? Growing up in the sixties, I didn't know any kids with asthma.
Most of it is pollutants in the air and chemicals used in the home.

Old 10-13-2008, 01:24 AM

112 posts, read 320,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yodi View Post
You could try eliminating one food at a time to see if it improves. I am dairy free as is my daughter due to dairy intolerance's. Dairy is a good place to start as mentioned by another poster it is a common trigger and one of the most common foods that people have problems with. make sure you eliminate all dairy, even trace amounts in processed foods. Food labels (with very few exceptions) will state allergens at the end of the ingredient list (Contains : MILK) If it says that, find something else. Milk can be found in bread, crackers cookies, etc. Eliminate it for three full weeks as it can take that long for it to get out of your system and see if the eczema clears.

Some alternative treats that you may find at health food stores such as Whole Foods, Vitamin Cottage, Wild Oats:

Coconut Bliss Ice cream (delicious, tastes just like regular ice cream)
Hemp I Scream
Rice Dream
Soy Ice cream

Oreos are dairy free as well!

I wouldn't bother trying to find a good cheese substitute as most are disgusting and many contain milk protein anyway. Hummus and avocado are good cheese alternatives as they contain fat and are creamy with lots of flavor. Coconut oil is a great butter substitute.

If you're eczema is food triggered then you may find other benefits to cutting it out of your diet. I cut it out of mine due to my daughter's intolerance and noticed big changes. Good luck!
I wonder how many food items have milk in them. I just went shopping. Mine is getting better now that I'm on Prednisone, but I'm running out, and winter has barely started!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaninEGF View Post
I agree with this. Our young son had very bad eczema when he was 4 months to 10 months old. This among other things gave us suspection he was allergic to something. Our local doctor said that eczema is often a sign of some type of food allergy. In our case it was dairy...which he was tested to be allergic too. Once we eliminated it just after his first birthday after we found out the allergy results, his ezcema cleared right up and we have had no signs since. He is 3 1/2 now. He does drink soy milk and soy ice cream. Our allergist we see now says that kids with milk allergies often have asthma as well...or at least the chance of having asthma is about 70 pct higher if you have a milk allergy. And you guessed it he does have a mild form of asthma. Both are being treated at the moment at a special allergy clinic.

Dan
I have asthma, and allergies, also. It's pretty lame. The other day I was talking to my lady, and I was like, "We have to change our diet." She asked, "Well, what will we eat?" I responded with, "Spam and mush!" That gave me many laughs, but sometimes I wonder what I will eat, if I change my diet, too much.

Old 10-13-2008, 01:33 AM

3,032 posts, read 8,917,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJamie View Post
What am I going to do without ice cream?!
There are some very lovely sorbets on the market.

Old 10-13-2008, 01:40 AM

3,032 posts, read 8,917,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theS5 View Post
What is your point? Are you stating that kids in the US are overplaying their peanut allergies?
No, but a lot of the helicopter parents could be.

A reaction to any allergen can range from mild irritation to death. Most people who have reactions to food products don't have food allergies, they have food sensitivities. There's a difference. Trouble is when an overprotective parent of a little "Teddy" goes to the extreme and demands that the rest of us change our entire lives in order to keep their kid from getting an itchy rash.

And before any of you jump all over me no, I'm not saying that devastating allergies don't exist. They certainly do, but they're a lot more rare than the media paints them to be.

Edit: Oh, and for the person who posted that there are a lot more food-allergic people than vegans/vegetarians -- you'd better check your facts. There are approximately 12.4 million vegans/vegetarians in the USA, and around 7 million people with food allergies. By simple numbers I'd say the vegans and vegetarians have as much "right" to say what is served in schools as the allergic people.

Old 10-13-2008, 11:14 AM

58 posts, read 193,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuSuSushi View Post
No, but a lot of the helicopter parents could be.

Trouble is when an overprotective parent of a little "Teddy" goes to the extreme and demands that the rest of us change our entire lives in order to keep their kid from getting an itchy rash.

And before any of you jump all over me no, I'm not saying that devastating allergies don't exist. They certainly do, but they're a lot more rare than the media paints them to be.

...around 7 million people with food allergies.
http://www.medicinenet.com
Out of the 7 million with food allergies, 3 million have peanut and/or tree nut allergies. Only 1/3 of the peanut allergic have severe reactions. That's TOTAL, not just children, so the number of children is much less than 3 mill.

Approx. 1.3% of the population (that's TOTAL population, not just children) has peanut and/or tree nut allergies. Approx. 2-3% of the population has milk allergies. Over a quarter million children have diabetes.

"One of the huge frustrations for parents of milk-allergic children is that they will typically find that someone with peanut allergy gets lots of respect and lots of precautions taken and the same respect is almost impossible to get for milk allergy," Wood says. Examples of precautions are cleaning school lunch tables well or placing children with peanut butter at a separate table. "Whatever precautions need to be in place for something like peanut allergy, need to be in place for milk allergy as well," says Wood. http://www.cnn.com

So, we restrict all school-age children from any and all peanut products, all milk related products, and all foods that contain sugars.

Fair is fair, don't you think? I mean, really, why should peanut allergies be so da*ned accommodated, when no accommodations are made for other health conditions?

My guess is that all other health conditions take care of themselves, and grow up to be more self reliant, self sufficient and less presumptuous. Probably less pompous and demanding to be coddled to as well.

Last edited by hank morgan; 10-13-2008 at 11:59 AM..

Old 10-13-2008, 04:12 PM

113 posts, read 278,093 times
My son was just diagnosed with a peanut allergy last month. He is 15 and had never shown a reaction until recently.
Thankfully he never liked them anyway, but I did......alas no more.
I did think he would take bad carrying his medicines about with him but he has been great.
I also got him a medi-alert chain incase anything happens when he is on his own.
I alerted his school and they have been really good with him and he is also with the air cadets who have also been really good, although it was when he was away on a trip with them that he had his first reaction.

Old 10-13-2008, 05:55 PM

4,267 posts, read 6,179,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hank morgan;5671299[B
Fair is fair, don't you think?[/b] I mean, really, why should peanut allergies be so da*ned accommodated, when no accommodations are made for other health conditions?
Accomodations such as these are made for life threatning allergies only. If a child can die just from touching a doorknob that another child inadvertantly got Peanut Butter on from not washing their hands after lunch then yes, I think that accomodations can and should be made to reduce the risk of death for these children.

Old 10-13-2008, 08:21 PM

20 posts, read 44,128 times
I believe all parents feel the same way about allergies. They suck! For those of us who live with them, we are always in fear. For those of you whose kids go to school with ours, its frustrating. All any of us want are happy, healthy children, who can go to school, learn and socialize. My main arguement with people who don't seem to care, is, What Wouldn't You Do For Your Child? We all want to protect our children without keeping them in a bubble, because thats less of a life than they already have. The reason people vaccinate their children, is to protect them from sickness, (some of which we don't hear about anymore). So if you can honestly say, you wouldn't fight for your child, you should be able to understand our lives alittle. Trust me when I say that we wish more than the rest of you, that our child wouldn't have these allergies, and no one would have this to argue about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting