Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2008, 05:19 AM

697 posts, read 2,015,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hank morgan View Post
Not true. The accommodations are made for the entire spectrum. Not fair at all.

There is a very small percentage of allergic people who could actually die from a peanut allergy, so don't exaggerate like that. Over dramatizing does not help your cause AT ALL.
Been fighting this fight for a long time, they don't listen. I agree with you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm_someone_elses_tool View Post
There has been over 100 deaths last year in Colorado due to peanuts. Small accommodations would be to wash your hands after you eat. Not a big deal.

I wish folks would quit the spew against precocious ideas about these allergies. Kids die every year from this. Please grow some compassion. Just be happy YOU don't have to deal with this day to day. Fear of your child dying sucks. What sucks more is you people Bit*hing you have to make accommendations.
Wow, there is an AVERAGE of 125 per year TOTAL (that's children AND adults) in the whole United States. NationMaster - Encyclopedia: Peanut allergy
Must be everybody with peanut allergies moved to Colorado ! ! ! Cool. Now none of the rest of us has to put up with peanut free anything ! !

Quote:
Originally Posted by theS5 View Post
Would you please tell us your credentials?
Nobody is asking you or anyone else to "change their entire lives". I did not realize that eating peanuts was such a significant part of your life. You must lead a small, selfish insignificant life. That's too bad.

Are you a vegan? If so, you obviously have cut meat out of your diet. How hard could it be to refrain from your peanut eating orgy so as to not put children in danger?

Don't judge until you have walked in another's shoes. It makes you appear dimwitted.
Dimwitted? Now see, that's where I have a problem. It's not enough this gets crammed down our throats, but we have to put up with your ATTITUDE as well. Get over yourselves and take care of your own kids. If the allergy is life threatening, homeschool, but don't come dictate to the rest of us.

Quote:
When it's your turn to make decisions for me, I'll let you know. Until then, don't judge me.
Amen

Quote:
And what dimwitted credentials do YOU have? What business is it of yours what anybody chooses to eat? You're talking like it should be against the law to eat peanuts. I LIKE peanuts. So do a lot of other people.

So do us a favor, and take care of your own, and we'll take care of ours.

It makes you appear dimwitted when you try to control others.
I like you more all the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut mom View Post
I feel very sorry for the children of all these angry people. Is it so important to send peanuts to school, knowing your own child may have to witness a classmate go into anaphylaxis and possibly die in front of him or her?? When my daughter was in kindergarten, (before her brother was diagnosed) I explained about the 2 kids in her class that have peanut and other food allergies, and how sick they could become. At the innocent age of 5, she said, mommy I don't want my friends to get sick, so please don't pack me things that can hurt them. I have met other children like this, since learning of my sons allergy. Its easy to put into kid terms, and most people will be amazed about how compassionate children can be. I have unfortunately witnessed my a severe reaction, and it is very scarey. Does any parent really want to put their child into the position to witness this?
The guilt stuff doesn't work. Sorry. Try something else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yodi View Post
I have never ever heard of a school making accommodations for people with food sensitivity or non-life threatening allergies. I don't think that they should and I don't know anyone who would expect them to do so. I have only heard of schools making accommodations for kids with life threatening allergies. I also know parents who have tried to get their school to take reasonable precautions for their children who have life threatning allergies to peanuts only to be met with opposition from the school. You sound very angry.
You're wrong here, they do. My daughter's school does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuSuSushi View Post
Mind giving hard cold factual references on that statement? The CDC's website disagrees with you -- a lot. It's more like 125 per year, and that's for ALL food allergy deaths, not just peanuts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2008, 06:13 AM

2,908 posts, read 3,872,601 times
What a sad bunch.

I certainly do take care of my own children and if there is a way that I can help others avoid a dangerous situation, I will do that too.

Now, with that being said, if my child had an anaphalactic reaction or even a serious allergic reaction, as a result of coming into contact with peanuts and I was confronted with "tough luck" attitude displayed by some posters on this thread, rest assured that person would not have to worry about eating peanuts for awhile. Unless they were sipping them through a straw.

Just another example of the selfish, me-first attitude that plagues our country.

Old 10-15-2008, 06:59 AM

1,105 posts, read 4,570,076 times
It is my understanding that peanut allergies can become life-threatening at any time, that each reaction can be worse than the one before it. So even if those peanut allergies are not considered life threatening now, doesn't mean it won't ever happen. I don't think MOST allergies react quite like the nut allergies do (I realize that someone posted earlier about the severe milk allergy). I don't know why that is, but it is what it is.

I personally don't understand why so many people have so many issues with small accomodations. The list that was posted earlier had plenty of things on it that was safe and that kids liked to eat. Kids shouldn't be living on peanut butter or packaged products anyway.

Of course, I am of the opinion that we should all be reading labels much more than most of us do so reading labels isn't that big a deal for me. I don't think wiping tables or washing hands and faces is that big a deal either. My child usually does it before he goes to school anyway.

A child's life, any child's life, is worth much more effort than that in my opinion.

Old 10-15-2008, 08:04 AM

3,842 posts, read 10,510,708 times
Quote:
What a sad bunch.

Just another example of the selfish, me-first attitude that plagues our country.
There are some posters on here whose only intent is to stir up controversy.

My children are blessed enough not to have peanut allergies.

Since I have no clue what that would be like & know that it cannot be "so simple", I do what I can.

In reality (which some posters on here do not live in), it's not that hard to make modifications to help those who need it. My son's preschool simply asks not to bring in snacks or treats that have peanuts. It's not hard. When I was teaching, I had to request the same thing. It's not hard.

Some parents do go very overboard & it's more than just the peanut allergy their child has that they are concerned. Most times these parents decide to homeschool or are a very prominent figure in the school office as they are very worried about many things their child could encounter. Never bothered me. I did what I was to do & still enjoyed teaching.

This society is close to pathetic in it's laziness & "me me me me me me me me" attitude. Can't even look beyond yourself to help others. That's the good ole USA!

Last edited by 121804; 10-15-2008 at 08:15 AM..

Old 10-15-2008, 08:10 AM

3,032 posts, read 8,919,868 times
Quote:
That's a very accurate diagnosis of you attitude, all right! Look, it's not up to me to take care of your kid. That's your job.

Old 10-15-2008, 10:37 AM

29 posts, read 56,033 times
Quote:
When it's your turn to make decisions for me, I'll let you know. Until then, don't judge me.
You’re making decisions for me. I'm not THE judge. There is a higher power for that. All I'm saying is is kind. Please don't get crazy when garage logic is posted. All of a sudden it’s all about you. Get over it. Don't be like 925mine and think your rights more important than anyone else. We all have rights; some people consider dying from an allergy trumps an inconvenience of you washing your hands. Do you wash your hands after a crap? Well, it simple to wash after a meal. No big deal.
:c rying:

Old 10-15-2008, 12:35 PM

4,267 posts, read 6,182,157 times
I wonder why any parent would be against hand washing after meals anyway. Kids get sick all of the time from the spread of germs at school. It seems like a handwashing policy we would benefit all.

I love peanut butter and eat a lot of it but it would not be a big deal at all to go without during the school day. Reading food labels is easy and there are plenty of options out there that do not contain peanuts. I don't understand why people are so angry over this.

Old 10-15-2008, 12:58 PM

20 posts, read 44,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 925mine View Post
Been fighting this fight for a long time, they don't listen. I agree with you.

Wow, there is an AVERAGE of 125 per year TOTAL (that's children AND adults) in the whole United States. NationMaster - Encyclopedia: Peanut allergy
Must be everybody with peanut allergies moved to Colorado ! ! ! Cool. Now none of the rest of us has to put up with peanut free anything ! !

Dimwitted? Now see, that's where I have a problem. It's not enough this gets crammed down our throats, but we have to put up with your ATTITUDE as well. Get over yourselves and take care of your own kids. If the allergy is life threatening, homeschool, but don't come dictate to the rest of us.

Amen

I like you more all the time.

The guilt stuff doesn't work. Sorry. Try something else.

You're wrong here, they do. My daughter's school does.

I'm not trying to guilt anyone, I'm just asking how you would feel if your child had to witness something so horrific?

Old 10-15-2008, 01:19 PM

109 posts, read 757,395 times
Food allergy reaction get worse with each exposure.....thus if you get an itchy rash from eating peanuts, the next time it could be anaphalactic shock. This is why parents have to be "over protective" about preventing their child from eating any peanut....it's isn't predictable how the reaction will be. Peanuts are one of the most deadly allergies to have. So for all of you so called "hellicopter parents" keep up the good work!

Old 10-15-2008, 02:15 PM

58 posts, read 193,147 times
Quote:
What a sad bunch.

I certainly do take care of my own children and if there is a way that I can help others avoid a dangerous situation, I will do that too.

Now, with that being said, if my child had an anaphalactic reaction or even a serious allergic reaction, as a result of coming into contact with peanuts and I was confronted with "tough luck" attitude displayed by some posters on this thread, rest assured that person would not have to worry about eating peanuts for awhile. Unless they were sipping them through a straw.

Sad indeed. Let's talk about the me first attitude you spoke of. It's those who think the world revolves around their child that is of the me first attitude. How much more selfish can you get than to dictate the menu and behavior of others? That takes a lot of nerve. Be responsible for yours, and I'll be responsible for mine. Simple as that. What's so selfish about not bending to YOUR personal rules? In my house, peanuts are permitted. In my family, we aren't concerned about peanut oil or residue on our hands, or where we eat it. It doesn't matter what you think of that. It really doesn't matter at all to me what you think of that.

Now, for the threat. If you even think for a second that you would be standing upright after knocking out the teeth of ANYBODY close to me, or anybody else for that matter, you're sadly mistaken.

What goes around, comes around. Your attitude needs adjusting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting