U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2018, 09:50 AM

84,898 posts, read 98,651,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
No. I wouldn't let a 12 year old drive my car, why would I let them babysit my toddler?
Comparison does not compute. A 12 year old can't give permission for medical care, or buy cigarettes or alcohol, or be elected to Congress, either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2018, 08:06 AM

51,024 posts, read 50,339,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComeCloser View Post
I was babysitting babies less than a year old when I was 12. But, today is different. I think I would honestly ask a social worker or some form of law enforcement for an opinion of what's acceptable in your area.

I've seen where parents have gotten in hot water over this age issue when something bad happens in my area. Some areas feel that nothing less than an adult is acceptable. It's at least important to know what the law says about it, and go forward from there.

I would think it would be a shame if a 12 year old couldn't watch a 2 year old. It's how I made money as a kid. I was busy every Friday and Saturday night. It taught me responsibility for people and their property, as well as how to set goals for what I wanted to buy with the money. Nothing bad ever happened either.
I could have written this, and in fact, I think I did on this very thread, somewhere in the past. I knew how to take care of an infant, since I had two younger brothers and my mom taught me how to diaper a baby and how to prepare and test a bottle, etc. I am not sure the people I first babysat for actually knew I was only 12 because I was probably already taller than they were, but they were happy with me and I worked for them for a few years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or