Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2014, 08:49 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,952,374 times

Advertisements

I was 12 when I started babysitting. One was a little boy who was maybe three or so and he had a younger brother who was maybe 6-8 months. I had to learn how to change diapers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2014, 08:55 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,733,537 times
Let's put it this way, preschools hire at age 15 the youngest with working papers and usually part time. My son is 11 and very responsible but no I wouldn't want him to watch my 2 yr old neice by himself. He is not good with emergencies and if the child gets hurt problems could arise.

Old 02-19-2014, 09:34 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,018,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
Let's put it this way, preschools hire at age 15 the youngest with working papers and usually part time. My son is 11 and very responsible but no I wouldn't want him to watch my 2 yr old neice by himself. He is not good with emergencies and if the child gets hurt problems could arise.
I'm pretty sure that in my state even "helpers" and "assistants", not just the teachers, at licensed day care centers and preschools must be at least 18 years old and, at the very minimum, have a high school diploma or GED plus two child development classes.

Old 02-19-2014, 09:39 PM

43,011 posts, read 107,755,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliss2 View Post
Why the head smack?

I don't need a babysitter, I have relatives. It's my girlfriend, who is pregnant and needs just a dinner out with her husband once in a while before the baby comes.

I think 12 is fine but she's a bit nervous about it.
Why don't you offer to watch your friend's child?

Old 02-19-2014, 09:41 PM

2,098 posts, read 2,487,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
I think in an official preschool setting with multiple kids is a different scenario from a 12 year old watching a 2 year old in a private home. I do agree some kids this age would not be ready for it. But some would be just fine. They're level headed and would know how to call for help. For a regular evening outing (not too late, a few hours) where all that's required is dinner, watching a movie and putting to bed, I wouldn't be too worried, especially if the babysitter had access to a phone where she could call her parents for easy things, and could easily reach the child's parents if there were an emergency.

I also think girls this age tend to (on average) be better with young kids, are more interested in playing games with young kids and often mature faster than their male peers. I can think of quite a few girls who I would've felt comfortable with at 12. I struggle to think of even one boy. I think they just take a little longer to catch up in that respect, especially around those preteen years.

Old 02-20-2014, 12:52 AM

823 posts, read 1,050,101 times
Sorry, I would hire a responsible 12 year old before I hired an adult to baby-sit. I would wonder why an adult would want to and what their angle is....especially someone with a master's degree.

This sad statement just staggers me. We have only ever hired adults (i.e. someone over 18) to look after our kids and would not consider a 12 year old to look after a 2 year old, no matter how mature. Too much responsibility to place on someone who is still a child and the stakes are too high.

Old 02-20-2014, 03:09 AM

3,070 posts, read 5,216,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Why don't you offer to watch your friend's child?
I did! But I have a young nursing baby and she didn't want me distracted during the time with her daughter. My friend is rather anxious/worried all the time about every minor thing, I hope the new baby chills her out a little. She's a psychologist

Old 02-20-2014, 07:40 AM

48 posts, read 69,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliss2 View Post
I did! But I have a young nursing baby and she didn't want me distracted during the time with her daughter. My friend is rather anxious/worried all the time about every minor thing, I hope the new baby chills her out a little. She's a psychologist
Umm, she realizes she's going to be distracted by a new baby soon, right? I have a 3.5 year old and 7 month old and, despite my best efforts, there are times when my big girl has to take a back burner. If she thinks she's going to be able to give her daughter the same amount of attention with a new baby, she's in for a rude awakening.

As for hiring a 12 year old- I'm torn. I started babysitting at 11 but can't imagine having anyone that young watching my girls. But I know not all 12 year olds are created equal and there are many, like me, who are mature and responsible enough to be great sitters. I guess I would recommend what others have said- start out slow, with mom home or nearby for an hour or so during the day and increase from there if things go well.

Old 02-20-2014, 07:54 AM

3,070 posts, read 5,216,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixiegoose View Post
Umm, she realizes she's going to be distracted by a new baby soon, right? I have a 3.5 year old and 7 month old and, despite my best efforts, there are times when my big girl has to take a back burner. If she thinks she's going to be able to give her daughter the same amount of attention with a new baby, she's in for a rude awakening.
Hehe yah, I have a 3 year old too, I think she's just a worry-wart in general I can't recall how many times I threw down a bag of crackers in front of a movie and walked away lol

Old 02-20-2014, 09:56 AM

634 posts, read 705,343 times
No, I wouldn't. My kids are 6, 4 and almost 2. I've taught middle school - 7th grade to be exact and there is no such thing as a mature 12 year old. Just because we did things when we were younger that doesn't make it a good thing. I was a latchkey kid when I was younger -so what? Does that mean my kids should be? Of course not.

The only people I would have watch my children are people who are adults and are people with whom I trust and have an actual relationship with - not a stranger or a kid who him/herself needs supervision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting