Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 12:16 PM

1,363 posts, read 5,913,677 times

Advertisements

I'm 32 and my daughter is 2 and people thought it was crazy when all we got her for her 1st Christmas was a Crucifix to hang on the wall in her bedroom. They expected me to go crazy b/c it was her 1st and our only child. I have no intention at all of over indulging her. Growing up, my mom really did a good job of teaching us not to be greedy, not to EXPECT anything, and to be grateful and appreciative for any and everything we got. Sure there were times when I was a little disappointed that I may not have gotten exactly what I would have wanted, but I never complained because I knew what I did get would have disappeared. LOL. I hope to raise my daughter the same way. When I see some things co-workers kids are asking for it just blows my mind. And then the co-workers stressing to figure out how they're going to get these things for their kids. I have a hard time wrapping my head around it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2007, 06:50 AM

3,413 posts, read 8,811,888 times
My friend is an amazing mother- she is a single mom (divorced from an abusive marriage) with two children.

She recently told me that her kids get three presents from Santa every year and that's it. She say's if three presents were enough for baby Jesus, three presents are enough for them.

I wish I had done that with my son.

Old 12-07-2007, 07:05 AM

1,363 posts, read 5,913,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate girl View Post
My friend is an amazing mother- she is a single mom (divorced from an abusive marriage) with two children.

She recently told me that her kids get three presents from Santa every year and that's it. She say's if three presents were enough for baby Jesus, three presents are enough for them.

I recently heard that somewhere else and liked it as well. Another one to limit gifts:
Something you want
Something you need
Something to wear and
Something to read.

Old 12-07-2007, 03:43 PM

9 posts, read 27,610 times
my children had no concept of money and always wanted everything and when I told them that mommy and daddy did not have the money for that they would just tell me to go to the bank So when they wanted a swing set I made them buy it. My mother bought them one of those ATM banks that keeps track of the money as you put it in and we went and picked out a nice but reasonably priced swingset ($80) and they started saving money. They did chores for allowance and if they had a good behavior day at school we would let them have all the change from that day. It worked wonders with them. They bought their swingset and now they help me save up when they want something special.

Old 12-08-2007, 08:19 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,208,265 times
Quote:

What a lovely idea. And so right...3 gifts for Jesus--not only about celebrating by receiving gifts but remembering what Christmas is all about!!

Old 12-08-2007, 09:35 AM

4,739 posts, read 8,352,425 times
Being kids, alot goes on we don't see or think of and kids talk to other kids all day at school. When a kid asks for a gift or a large quantity of gifts he is asking for an item he or she wants but at the same time it could be something they are aware represents a goal one of their peers wants but is unattainable. They as kids are trying to figure out where they fit in socially and economically and are not selfish or mean or evil, they are kids.

Old 12-08-2007, 10:59 AM

1,127 posts, read 4,994,061 times
Oh my gosh did this catch my attention on the right morning! Last night a 13 year old was brought into the jail after an argument with his Mother. His Mother claimed that he had thrown the TV remote at her. The kid was very small for his age, and inconsolably crying his eyes out. The deputy assigned to sit with him had tried everything he could think of to calm the boy down, but could get nowhere so he called for Hubby (who is known for calming down out of control prisoners). Hubby came home with this story…

The boy is bipolar, is picked on at school because he is small, is on several different meds, is dealing with Katrina fall out, is living below poverty level, is going to get Christmas presents donated from a church, is going to get Christmas dinner from a church, is dealing with an out of control drug addict older sister, and is now dealing with the betrayal of his own mother. He admitted to my husband that yes, he cursed his mother out, but swears he didn’t throw the remote. Hubby believes him. The kid isn’t crying inconsolably because he’s in jail, but because his own mother lied to the cops about the thrown remote and sent him off to jail. He is mourning the loss of trust that his mother would do nothing to harm him. The relationship will never be the same and he is devastated. This kid was no hardened juvenile thug.

Frankly, I don’t know what ya’ll do if the kids are spoiled. As a former inner city teacher, and the wife of a corrections officer, I’ve seen the he** that some kids go through at home. Our son was reminded quite often how lucky he was and was taught the he was owed nothing but food, clothing, an education, and love. Anything else he got was lagniappe and he needed to be grateful for it.

PS. Hubby is a softie, but no pushover, when he said he believed this kid, please remember that he hears sob stories all the time and is very skeptical. So when he says he believes this kid, I believe him.

Old 12-08-2007, 01:59 PM

240 posts, read 467,431 times
Quote:

I like what your friend did, makes a whole lot of sense. Less stress for the parents and the children know what's expected.

Old 12-08-2007, 05:24 PM

5,092 posts, read 14,777,022 times
Quote:
...if three presents were enough for baby Jesus, three presents are enough for them...
I wonder if baby Jesus had fun playing with his gold, frankincense, and myrrh.

Old 12-08-2007, 05:36 PM

23,790 posts, read 33,259,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcm58 View Post
Being kids, alot goes on we don't see or think of and kids talk to other kids all day at school. When a kid asks for a gift or a large quantity of gifts he is asking for an item he or she wants but at the same time it could be something they are aware represents a goal one of their peers wants but is unattainable. They as kids are trying to figure out where they fit in socially and economically and are not selfish or mean or evil, they are kids.

Very good post. I know what it was like to have to fit in when I was younger & couldn't imagine being a kid these days. My father couldn't afford the pants I wanted so I stole them, thankfully I didn't get caught.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting