Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2014, 01:25 PM

262 posts, read 546,897 times

Advertisements

I'm almost 20 years old, and this week I'm having corrective underbite surgery. Both my parents are more scared than I am- I mean, I'm scared too, but I'm trying not to hype myself up too much--I wanna be calm.

My mother is scared because I'm gonna "look different", and I guess she doesn't want me to, even though I'll look different in a positive way. I don't think I'd be unrecognizable, since reconisability(that's not a word) is usually in the eyes, not the jaw.

I've tried to explain to her that my underbite is affecting not only my self esteem, but my way of living--Not being able to smile properly and not being to perfectly bite into a sandwich sucks major balls!

I think my father low key hates the idea, but he's more "whatever makes her happy" about the whole situation.

I just think they're being too dramatic, the surgery won't change ME as a person.

But they're also from a time that when you had a flaw, you dealt with it and went on with your life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2014, 01:42 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,167,496 times
It sounds just as much medical as it does cosmetic. No, I wouldn't find that insulting. If my child had my nose and wanted it changed, or something, maybe.

Old 03-02-2014, 02:08 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,078,069 times
I'm all for corrective surgery at a proper age and this seems right. I would have a problem with breast augmentation surgery for a 16 year old or tummy tuck or something like that. Our son had his ears pinned back at age 6. he looked like Dumbo---sorry but it is true. I'm so glad we did it when we did.

Had a cousin who had breast reduction at 20 but only after her father heard some men talking about her in a filling station. He was mortified even though she had been begging for it for years. But once he heard first hand what she had to go through he was all for it.

Old 03-02-2014, 02:09 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,693,254 times
I agree with Kibbiekat. I think your reasons are beyond just cosmetic. And if it's affecting your quality of life, then I'd think they might be more supportive. Maybe tell your mom that Your dad just may not like surgery, and since you are 20, then technically you are an adult and don't really need their permission (although their support is nice )

Old 03-03-2014, 10:25 AM

120 posts, read 212,677 times
Your reasons of getting your underbite corrected sounds perfectly reasonable. I would be supportive if my child wanted to have a corrective surgery similar to yours. It is not like you want to get a boob job done and going for a DDDD cup.

Old 03-04-2014, 12:01 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times
If the child looked exactly like me, it might be a little insulting.

Old 03-04-2014, 12:07 PM

50,369 posts, read 63,964,084 times
You are doing the right thing. You will feel better and look better. Parents think their children are perfect just the way they are and they are probably worried about complications.

Old 03-04-2014, 12:22 PM

2,542 posts, read 6,915,475 times
It sounds like you have thought through the surgery and I agree with others that this sounds more medical than cosmetic. That said, your parents aren't over reacting, they are just being parents. They worry about your safety, they worry about how others will react to you, they worry about the finances (even if they aren't paying for it, they still worry about your money).

Don't spend too much time thinking about what they think, or even talking about it with them. You informed them, and of course you should remind them of the surgery date the week of, but it's none of their business and all their doubts won't even be remembered a year from now.

Old 03-04-2014, 02:18 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,172,734 times
Insulting? No, way. I'd be happy my child had a chance to correct things. Good luck to you!

Old 03-04-2014, 02:32 PM

1,638 posts, read 3,831,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
You are doing the right thing. You will feel better and look better. Parents think their children are perfect just the way they are and they are probably worried about complications.
I agree. Parents can be a bit blind about their own children---every mother thinks her child is the most beautiful

I would not care if my kids wanted to have plastic surgery. There are many bad traits handed down in family's, if someone inherited a huge nose, why not have it fixed? Would not bother me one bit.

Good luck to you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting