Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2014, 10:45 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Luckily his parents were still buying him insurance, but at age 18 they were not required to do so but 18 is legal adulthood and he was really responsible to get his own insurance. He should be grateful his parents were still supporting him financially and still paying his way for insurance.
Did you see she kicked him out BEFORE he was 18 and before he graduates high school? He was only on her insurance policy because the law prohibits dropping minors from the policy. She dropped him from her policy the MOMENT she was legally allowed to do so. She did him no favors for him to be grateful. She did everything she could to inflict harm. When the health insurance information isn't provided, it's the same as having no health insurance. It's a good thing there are laws protecting children from their own parents.

My point in sharing how his mother would not give him the information for his health insurance is to show how the girl in the OP would have no idea how to contact the college fund to gain access to it without taking her parents to court if they would not provide her with the information on where the college fund was located.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2014, 11:16 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
If he was still a minor, that's different from this woman who is over 18, a legal adult, unless state law delays legal adulthood until graduation. Here you cannot even make a kid go to school once they're over 18.

Old 03-04-2014, 11:19 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
That's not true in my state.
It sounds like legal adulthood varies state by state. At any rate I think we don't know which parts she can win because we haven't read how the contracts were written and may not know the state laws regarding age of majority.

Old 03-04-2014, 11:22 AM

9,824 posts, read 11,548,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
According to the article, college isn't considered a privilege in the state of NJ as far as dependency is concerned.

Another important issue that isn't mentioned in the article is that there are college funds that are strictly for use of the children they are designated for. They're protected by law for the named child. If she has that type of college fund, and it sounds like she does since her parents say it's available and hasn't been redirected, she has every right to that college fund under federal law.

Even if she's a spoiled brat, I support this lawsuit. I've seen too many parents kick their children out of the house at 18 prior to graduating high school, which is against the law in my state. One child lived with me and broke his hand. His mother never paid the remaining bills for the surgery and physical therapy. Her health insurance paid for it (fortunately state law prohibited her from dropping him from her insurance until the next enrollment period), but she refused to pay the copays and deductible---sending them to him and telling him he had to pay them. According to our state, that was against the law because he had not graduated high school.

Sadly, parents get away with this crap because most children don't know how to file a lawsuit or they fear doing it (because they fear their parents) even when adults offer to help them file.

MC33433, they're not saying she's emancipated. They are saying she's nonemancipated and dependent. Since federal law requires parents income for financial aid consideration until the age of 24, even the federal government considers children to be dependents until the age of 24.

This girl has a strong lawsuit.
This why I would support a law for, Psychological Evaluations before having kids.
Too many crazy people walking around.
fixed

Last edited by hitman619; 03-04-2014 at 12:47 PM..

Old 03-04-2014, 11:27 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
If he was still a minor, that's different from this woman who is over 18, a legal adult, unless state law delays legal adulthood until graduation. Here you cannot even make a kid go to school once they're over 18.
It's not different if she has a legal right to her college fund. As I've said many times, I suspect that's the case since her parents aren't defending that aspect of the lawsuit in court. Since they didn't provide her with the information to access her college fund, it's the exact same thing as not providing the health insurance information if it's legally her right.

Old 03-04-2014, 01:40 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,896,657 times
Well of course she sued.

After all, the government, school board, and big central planner commentators on TV tell everybody "it takes a village" and "we co-parent" meaning...the parents have essentially NO rights to raise their own kids anymore.

Oh boo hoo she wants to not live at home following rules but still have her expenses paid. BYe girl bye.

LOL Lynn University. It cost 35,000 a year back in the 90's and was NO place to learn ANYTHING.

Old 03-04-2014, 05:15 PM

5,295 posts, read 5,238,344 times
What kind of POS lawyer takes a case like this, and what kind of a POS parent pays for that princess' lawyer bills against her parents? Why in the world didnt that family that she is staying with tell her, no dearie, you have to go home and be a contributing part of your family if you want those benefits.

F**cking New Jersey. That is why I left that ignorant state.

Old 03-04-2014, 06:00 PM

1,482 posts, read 1,378,896 times
This is what happens when you spoil your children

Old 03-04-2014, 06:02 PM

2,848 posts, read 7,580,539 times
A judge Tuesday ruled against New Jersey teen Rachel Canning, who sued her parents for expenses and education tuition after she says they tossed her out of their Lincoln Park home last year.

Read more: Local and Breaking News for NYC and the Boroughs - NY Daily News

Rachel Canning, 18, won't get $650 weekly child support or payment of her private high school tuition from estranged parents Sean and Elizabeth Canning, a judge decided Tuesday. But a second hearing on the suit is scheduled for next month, and the Morris Catholic High School senior could still force her parents to pay up her impending college costs.

Old 03-04-2014, 06:05 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,311,234 times
If I was the college admissions department, I'd withdraw her acceptance to my university. Just trouble waiting to rear it's ugly head against any of the universities.

As someone else put it "In the college finance world, that is age 24, meaning, until you are 24 they take your parent's income into consideration for the FAFSA"

I have learned to really dislike FAFSA.

My son was raised by his mother, who was terminally ill during his high school years and died half way through his senior year. Could I intervene? Not a chance. He did however excel in HS and got a very nice scholarship to UC Berkeley. I get the phone calls "Dad, I need some money" all the time. I'm happy to provide them when I can. Sounds like the young "lady" in question is one of those "entitled" types. I'd like to see her join the Marine Corps and then go to college.

Last edited by DMenscha; 03-04-2014 at 06:13 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting