Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 07:52 AM

1,363 posts, read 5,926,137 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
I think its a good idea to allow children to play with toys that they WANT to. I am 40 now and my parents allowed me to play with matchbox cars, I had my own race tracks, barbie dolls, baby dolls, the whole thing, OH and legos as well.

My daughter had her own train set, HUGE collection of matchbox cars as well as the dolls AND of course a kitchen.
I agree. I was in a store one time and this little girl-probably 3 or 4-asked her mom if she could get some kind of Star Wars action figure thing and the mom told her no because that was a boy toy and girls aren't supposed to play with that stuff. The little girl was so upset and I thought, how sad is that? It just sounded so wrong. I vowed right then that my kids could play with whatever they wanted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2007, 08:18 AM

2,349 posts, read 10,651,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by regarese View Post
I agree. I was in a store one time and this little girl-probably 3 or 4-asked her mom if she could get some kind of Star Wars action figure thing and the mom told her no because that was a boy toy and girls aren't supposed to play with that stuff. The little girl was so upset and I thought, how sad is that? It just sounded so wrong. I vowed right then that my kids could play with whatever they wanted.
I totally agree!

On a kinda side note, I think that SOME people think that boys playing with dolls/kitchens and girls playing with action figures/trucks will make them gay or that others might view their child as a sissy or whatever. If my son is going to be gay it's not because I let him have a baby doll. However, if he were to be gay, he might come to me with his troubles or hopes because I let him be who he WAS and not what I thought he SHOULD be. I could care less as long as he is happy and knows that I love and accept him no matter what... a gay garbage truck man or a straight hairdresser, whatever!

Though I DO have my hopes up for the next Emeril as I can't cook

Old 12-07-2007, 07:08 AM

604 posts, read 4,620,411 times
I got my son one when he was around 3 b/c he loved playing with the one at the gym/babysitting room. I only had one choice b/c they we're all so girly and pink. My husband didn't think it was right but he got over it!

Old 12-07-2007, 07:21 AM

2,349 posts, read 10,651,553 times
tamcim72, me too! I think our is pink, tan and teal with maybe a dash of purple thrown in lol

Old 12-07-2007, 11:59 AM

2,091 posts, read 9,044,672 times
theyre on the spendy side, but the Kids Pottery Barn has some really neutral colored ones...also, tons of really really cool kitchen stuff!!!
my kids intermingle their toys. they might be in playing w/pirates one minute, and barbies the next. We took out the bottom bunk of my youngest daughters bed and turned the whole bottom part into a play house w/the kitchen, washer/dryer, changing table, crib, etc. Its one of their fav.places to play, both my daughter and my son.
ya gotta figure too, if theres something they really want to play with, that they see other kids playing with, and you withhold it..well, just like anything, its gonna make it even MORE desirable. I say, let em play with it as long as their safe.

Old 12-07-2007, 01:34 PM

9 posts, read 27,641 times
I bought my son a toy kitchen when he was 3. It was his favorite toy for years. Now that he is a little older he prefers to play in the real kitchen after watching food network.

Old 12-07-2007, 05:19 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,064,838 times
I see nothing wrong with this. If a boy wants a doll so what? If a girl wants trucks, good for her.
Do people actually think these things will turn the kid(s) gay? I taught preschool for a few years and both the boys and girls enjoyed various toys. Some boys liked playing house and dressing up. Some girls liked to 'build' with hammers and tools.

It's foolish to deny children the right to play and pretend.

Old 12-08-2007, 11:15 AM

306 posts, read 1,247,533 times
Default Little Boys love kitchens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamcim72 View Post
I got my son one when he was around 3 b/c he loved playing with the one at the gym/babysitting room. I only had one choice b/c they we're all so girly and pink. My husband didn't think it was right but he got over it!
Ditto, to all.
I got one when my 1st son turn 3 and my husband was NOT happy at all. I got one that was not girlie ... It was very generic. All my son wanted for christmas that year was toy food. He LOVED it.

Fast forward... We kept that kitchen for 4 years. My second son who is now three played with it, too. He also loved it. He was sad to leave it behind when we moved.

Our first boy is now 7 ... he's not into kitchens anymore.
He's into Starwars, Pokemon, superheros ...etc. He's a typical boy. Our youngest is also into these things now.

The point is: Men worry for no practical reason. It's a macho thing. If your goal is to make your child smile and HE wants a kitchen ... get it. All he is really doing is learning by imitation. They see us in our "grown-up" kitchen all the time ... they just want to copy us.

Old 12-08-2007, 07:18 PM

9,888 posts, read 10,817,438 times
YIKES!!, Touchy subject, my wife likes to involve my 4year old middle son in baking cookies and what not, and he likes to watch the food network just a little too much. I would never, ever. ever buy one of my sons a play kitchen, (I am laughing as i type this),. I understand a lot of Real Men are chefs, "I even get a kick out of watching Emeril". But its not something I would intentionally guide my son towards.

Old 12-09-2007, 06:50 AM

13,608 posts, read 5,384,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinmma View Post
My husband does ALL of the cooking and I am very thankful otherwise we would all starve to death or go broke from eating out all the time as MAMA DOESN'T cook! Even my husband was nervous with our son playing with the kitchen...what is he afraid of? His son will love to bake, lol!
I would be glad if my husband cooked at all so I liked your post!
Well he helps me but his mother thought it not important at all that men do something in the house as well. So now I have to do the cooking and it's just enough sometimes. My son will definitely have his share in our house when he's old enough and when he's interested in cooking so be it, the better for me and his future because he won't be dependable on a woman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by conorsdad View Post
A good % of the world's best chefs are men. There nothing un-manly about cooking.

Now if my son started becoming interested in fashion design or something like that, I might start worrying.....
I wouldn't mind if my son were a designer - a lot of money comes along with that profession and you never know where the interests of your kids will go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkmewright View Post
I got one for my son when he turned 3. Of course he father was upset and I got some frowns from other men as well. Anything not he-man, macho or camo is not for HIS son. Too bad. He loves it. We bought a little appliance set that has 4 pieces that work, play food, play utensils, the works. It stimulates his creativity and he just plain old loves it! He's getting an Easy Bake for Christmas
lol - I hope he enjoys the Easy Bake!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting