Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2014, 02:55 PM

44 posts, read 90,391 times

Advertisements

My sister has decided to stay at home with her kids (ages 9 and 7). For the life of me, I cannot wrap my mind around it and do not support the decision because I think she's putting her future at risk. She has been a trailblazer in the industry - - - at least in her community and she has a graduate degree. But she says the pressures of working while raising two children who are in school are increasing to the point where the family's quality of life is suffering significantly. She mentioned pressures of homework, school activities, team sports, plus things like housework, shopping, having "time" for her husband and so on.

She is in her late 30s and says she cannot imagine going back full-time while she has children in school. Her husband is okay with the decision, but he makes just enough to pay the bills (she told me this).

Can you imagine why a woman with children old enough to be in school wouldn't get a job full-time? What do they do with their time? I just worry about her future security, but she says life insurance, savings and their IRA funds can tide them over if the worst things were to happen.

Old 03-12-2014, 03:01 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,389,294 times
Lots of people choose to be stay at home parents. My BIL stays home and so do I. We have many friends who have one parent stay home.

I take care of the household, budget, errands,school related things, hobbies and insurance/ medical stuff. I do the grocery shopping, buy all of our clothes, take care of the garden and yard, and cook most meals.

I am busy, but not as busy as when I was working full time and doing half of all that. We are happy now, and I will probably go back to work in a few years. Who knows?

Old 03-12-2014, 03:03 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,455,426 times
1) Frankly it's none of your business and it doesn't matter whether or not you support her decision.

2) You must not have children. When they are in school they get busy. And often that involves a parent getting them places.

3) See item 1 above.

Old 03-12-2014, 03:08 PM

2,779 posts, read 5,500,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
1) Frankly it's none of your business and it doesn't matter whether or not you support her decision.

2) You must not have children. When they are in school they get busy. And often that involves a parent getting them places.

3) See item 1 above.
This.

Old 03-12-2014, 03:11 PM

44 posts, read 90,391 times
Don't they have after-school programs? I know they exist. Those programs are for working parents who need someone to watch them until they get off work. That puts a hole in her story and rationalization for this decision.

Old 03-12-2014, 03:11 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
She doesn't need your support in her decision.

I stopped working when my children were school aged. I had a child that was very sick. It came down to the point that my husband and I couldn't trade off taking off work. We were putting both of our jobs at risk. Even after it was no longer necessary for me to stay home, we decided we liked how much easier it made our lives. Our children needed us more when they were school aged than before they started school.

Every parent makes sacrifices. Some sacrifice by working. Some sacrifice by losing income. They're all sacrifices, just different ways of doing it.

Old 03-12-2014, 03:13 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KicktheCan View Post
Don't they have after-school programs? I know they exist. Those programs are for working parents who need someone to watch them until they get off work. That puts a hole in her story and rationalization for this decision.
No it doesn't. Her kids are involved in sports. After school programs don't transport children around to their activities. And it is stressful to get the housework and chores done after getting home at 6 pm. She wants to spend time with her family, not focus on all of that stuff on the evenings and weekends. It's her right to make this decision. She doesn't even need to justify it with a story for you to blow holes through it.

Last edited by Hopes; 03-12-2014 at 03:24 PM..

Old 03-12-2014, 03:14 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,562,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post

3) See item 1 above.
Ditto.

Old 03-12-2014, 03:19 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,935,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KicktheCan View Post
My sister has decided to stay at home with her kids (ages 9 and 7). For the life of me, I cannot wrap my mind around it and do not support the decision because I think she's putting her future at risk. She has been a trailblazer in the industry - - - at least in her community and she has a graduate degree. But she says the pressures of working while raising two children who are in school are increasing to the point where the family's quality of life is suffering significantly. She mentioned pressures of homework, school activities, team sports, plus things like housework, shopping, having "time" for her husband and so on.

She is in her late 30s and says she cannot imagine going back full-time while she has children in school. Her husband is okay with the decision, but he makes just enough to pay the bills (she told me this).

Can you imagine why a woman with children old enough to be in school wouldn't get a job full-time? What do they do with their time? I just worry about her future security, but she says life insurance, savings and their IRA funds can tide them over if the worst things were to happen.
I can't wrap MY mind around how judgmental you are about this.

She TOLD you why; you just don't like the reasons.

It's her life. Keep your disapproval to yourself.

Old 03-12-2014, 03:25 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,743,916 times
Every person is different. Your sister is doing what is best for her and her family! You shouldn't question her motives, but applaud her for putting her family first. It's a hard decision.

For me, I could never be a SAHM, it is a ton of pressure and THE hardest job there is. Each family needs to do what is right for them, not the 'popular vote'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting