Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2014, 06:17 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,730,892 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
You said what you said, and you implied that my opinion was somehow meaningless. I just pointed out that your opinion is just an opinion, also. And where did anyone say anything about working for a wage being "most important?"

~~~

I'd love some stats on what percentage of kids get scholarships from their extracurriculars, and how much they are. A few people have indicated that "a lot" of kids get them. Numbers? Of all the kids on a given sports team, how many get a college scholarship out of it? Not many, I think.
Your issues are just that, your issues. I said what I meant and you repeatedly in thread after thread misquote and misconstrue over and over again. It is clearly an issue you have and with many posters.

That being said, why are you arbitrarily focusing on extracurriculars? Not working also allows students to focus more on academics. We have a large class of seniors this year, maybe 76 or so. So far 8 of them (granted out largest number in a while) have gotten academy appointments which are full scholarship and are based in academics and extracurriculars. Among my 29 students another 4 are already accepted IL which is also free for three of them. Acceptance there (and thus aid) is also based on academics and extracurriculars.

As for my own child her largest scholarship was due entirely to her involvement with ISEF (and research in general) to the tune of $28k over four years. She could not have made that money while working part time during the school year.

One of my students told me today that some school and to be honest I do not remember which one (maybe Ohio state?) offered her a half scholarship based on her research project. Frequently schools are looking for more than academics these days, they are looking for kids to demonstrate a passion. Unfortunately it is hard to demonstrate that kind of passion and the time it requires while holding down a job and keep grades up. Again, for the umpteenth time, some can do that, many cannot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2014, 06:51 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,167,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
One simple, age appropriate daily chore per year. Three year old can fill up the dogs water bowl every night, or put all the dinner dishes (not glasses) in the sink, stuff like that. Five year old can do more advanced things like put the recycling outside, or empty the bathroom garbage can.

As for working for money, what is the end goal you want for your children? If it is for them to be willing to work a minimum wage job, than that is a good plan, but if you want them to go college or something like that, than having them develop a work ethic academically might be a more important goal.
Quote:
How about both? Or do you not need a work ethic after college?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Well, I guess somehow my kids were able to handle both. Actually, three things. They were honor roll students, played varsity sports, and held part time jobs. Grades were highest on the hierarchy, but geez, it didn't seem to be too difficult to accomplish what they set their minds to.

I don't think it does kids any good to head out for college expecting not to contribute the standard of living they have become accustomed to at home.
Quote:
Thats great.

As I stated, my experience as a teacher has not been that all or even most kids can work, excel academically, and participate in extra-curriculars. I know my current USNA appointee, his parents think he can manage it all by just "working a little harder", meanwhile I have seen this big, tough, popular kid crying from being overwhelmed. If I were his parents I would not only remove the job but also one of his extra-curriculars. The good it would do (besides easing his stress) is that he would be able to get 4 years of a world class education for free, and get his ultimate dream career.

For mine, not working allowed my sister to take additional art classes outside of school, practice her art, and eventually get a free ride to a top art school. To be fair, isn't winning scholarship contributing?
Quote:
How many kids get scholarships out of their extracurriculars?

Your anecdotes doesn't count for any more than Mattie's do.
Quote:
Your issues are just that, your issues. I said what I meant and you repeatedly in thread after thread misquote and misconstrue over and over again. It is clearly an issue you have and with many posters.

That being said, why are you arbitrarily focusing on extracurriculars?
Why do you keep insisting that I have an issue? You brought up art. I only mentioned extraciriculars in response to that. Everyone else took scholarships and ran with it.

Old 03-18-2014, 06:57 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,907,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
There's ALWAYS a reason for a scholarship. When one applies for it, the paperwork tells you what the requirements are! There are plenty of scholarships out there that are not merit based.
Many universities have scholarships that are awarded based on the student's application. We really do now know the specific reason for our son's scholarship other than it is considered an academic scholarship. There was no separate application. Every student is considered when they apply.

So while there probably is some reason why he was awarded that scholarship we do not know what it is.

Old 03-18-2014, 07:12 PM

Quote:
You said what you said, and you implied that my opinion was somehow meaningless. I just pointed out that your opinion is just an opinion, also. And where did anyone say anything about working for a wage being "most important?"

~~~

I'd love some stats on what percentage of kids get scholarships from their extracurriculars, and how much they are. A few people have indicated that "a lot" of kids get them. Numbers? Of all the kids on a given sports team, how many get a college scholarship out of it? Not many, I think.
There are many other scholarships besides athletic scholarships. A kid does not have to be an athlete to get a scholarship. In addition there are lots of one time awards given out like the ones given out by the local chapters of the National Football Foundation. Those are typically smaller awards, but to a student $1,000 is a nice chunk of change to get started.

Many universities offer scholarships where ECs really help students win the scholarships. Here is the scholarships page from my son's school:

Scholarships :: Case Western Reserve University

The school does not award athletic scholarships as it is a Division 3 school. This is just one, relatively small school. Many kids that I know have gotten scholarships for their EC activities. I don't have statistics to quote, but I assure you it is more common than you think.

Old 03-18-2014, 07:13 PM

Quote:
A quick google search tells me that 2% of HS athletes go on to play in college (i.e. get a scholarship). Obviously there are other activities and other types of scholarships, but 2% is not "a lot."
Why are you fixated on athletic scholarships?

Old 03-18-2014, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
and those are typically financial aid disguised as "merit" awards....

all of our kids' scholarships had some qualifying criteria--GPA/ACT score, etc. one was simply being involved in church...they don't have to be grade related, but they are never given just because...
Sometimes you don't know the criteria though.

Old 03-18-2014, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Education should always come first. Being able to kick around a ball won't help a person if they can't add 2+2 or read. Sadly, there are many student athletes who really can't do simple math equations and some can't read which is a tragedy.
You know there are plenty of students who aren't athletes who really can't do simple math equations and some can't read which is more of a tragedy.

Old 03-18-2014, 07:24 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,167,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
Why are you fixated on athletic scholarships?
I'm not.

Old 03-18-2014, 07:24 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,621,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
You know there are plenty of students who aren't athletes who really can't do simple math equations and some can't read which is more of a tragedy.
The student athletes often times think sports are their ticket to life. When in reality, there's only one Michael Jordan. And he can read and count. There's also the issue of what happens when you suffer an injury and can't play anymore. Bye bye scholarship and any pro dreams the kid had.

Old 03-18-2014, 09:06 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,944,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frustrated Hippy View Post
Also, "force" is a harsh word. How about encourage or motivate?
Forcing kids to work has been the primary motivation for having them in the first place for the vast majority of human history.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting