Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2014, 03:21 PM

1,764 posts, read 2,865,661 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
You don't have to go to every party and you don't always have to bring a gift to every single party you attend. Many people have housewarming parties and have no desire in gifts. I had one last year and I didn't want gifts. I wanted to meet my new neighbors.
Of course not. I am specifically referring to people with gigantic "Wish Lists" and registries at every place on the planet that pratically hound invitees about what they are getting. I've even seen people chastise others on the list about what they plan to get so other guests know what not to buy. That's not wanting to have fun and hang out with friends. It's exhortion.

Last edited by Jaded; 03-19-2014 at 12:58 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2014, 03:23 PM

2,848 posts, read 7,579,893 times
I've only heard of it as an alternative for children who have summer birthdays but still want to celebrate or bring goodies to their classmates during the year. I don't know anyone that has two full birthday parties with cake and presents for the same child each year. The parents I know throw a party if they want a party- they don't use an excuse like a half-birthday.

Old 03-18-2014, 03:27 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,621,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Housewarming, yeah, but a "gender reveal party" (something I had not heard of before!) is just a baby shower by another name. A gift is expected.
I've attended gender reveal parties and baby showers. They've been different parties. The gender reveals have been family and close friends getting together for bbq's and cutting the cake to reveal the color inside. No gifts were brought or expected. I've also attended baby showers where gifts were not requested. The friends just wanted to celebrate their friend having a baby.

Old 03-18-2014, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjd07 View Post
Of course not. I am specifically referring to people with gigantic "Wish Lists" and registries at every place on the planet that pratically hound invitees about what they are getting. I've even seen people chastise others on the list about what they plan to get so other guests know what not to buy. That's not wanting to have fun and hang out with friends. It's exhortion.
Time for better friends! I don't attend parties like that even for family. I'm not all about celebrating greed. And I tend to give hand made gifts - quilts, bedding, scrapbooks, memory boxes, aprons, etc. The greedy ones want none of those things so I don't bother. We're both happier that way.

Old 03-18-2014, 04:01 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,705,034 times
Quote:
13 years? Your high school announced birthdays? Wow! I don't think my old junior high (gag!) did that!
Smaller schools certainly do. Even some larger ones have 'birthday boards' where kids can be listed during their birth month if they want.

Old 03-18-2014, 04:33 PM

15,860 posts, read 21,438,888 times
My birthday is a national holiday and also sometimes falls during my winter holiday of choice. I can't even get free birthday meals on my birthday because of special menus for the holiday (rude)! So I always celebrate my half birthday with friends because I'm too introverted to enjoy a night out on my actual birthday.

But having two full-fledged birthday parties is a little crazy. I've never heard of it, though now a few coworkers throw half-birthday parties for their holiday-birthday kids!

Old 03-18-2014, 04:45 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
I've attended gender reveal parties and baby showers. They've been different parties. The gender reveals have been family and close friends getting together for bbq's and cutting the cake to reveal the color inside. No gifts were brought or expected. I've also attended baby showers where gifts were not requested. The friends just wanted to celebrate their friend having a baby.
You learn something new every day here on CD! Thanks!

I think gifts for baby showers are very appropriate, especially for the first child.

Old 03-18-2014, 05:06 PM

Quote:
You learn something new every day here on CD! Thanks!

I think gifts for baby showers are very appropriate, especially for the first child.
I don't do baby shower gifts after the first child UNLESS it's a child of a different sex and then you're getting something like onesies or blankets OR it's been at least 10 years between kids. I know people who have baby showers for every kid. Sorry, but you shouldn't demand everyone you know to support your herd each time you have a kid. I have some family like that. And mysteriously I am ALWAYS busy when those showers are held. I'm curing malaria at McDonald's or fishing in the Suez Canal....

My friends on the other hand don't want showers for every kid. They usually do a shower (after kid #1) - and it's really not a shower - it's more like a last girls night out before Junior pops out. We don't go drinking or anything, but for the mom to be (mom to be again), her life is going to be baby baby baby for 24 hours a day so we do something fun like a big dinner, BBQ, movie night, pottery night etc. Hey we're dorky, but we have fun....family on the other hand....oy vey!

Old 03-18-2014, 05:28 PM

1,638 posts, read 3,831,526 times
I think it would be fine for a kid with a summer birthday who wants to be able to invite school friends. That is providing they have 1 party, not 2.

Otherwise, no. I do agree the spoiling is getting a bit ridiculous.

Old 03-18-2014, 05:37 PM

1,764 posts, read 2,865,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaylahc View Post
I think it would be fine for a kid with a summer birthday who wants to be able to invite school friends. That is providing they have 1 party, not 2.

Otherwise, no. I do agree the spoiling is getting a bit ridiculous.
I don't see a problem with two parties for the same kid for a different group of friends and/or family. For example, I know parents that give their child a birthday just for family members to attend and a "half birthday" party just for friends to accomodate the "off season" if it falls that way. I would never do it, but I've seen others do it. Either people can come to my kids' party or they can't. They'll survive.

Many moons ago I worked with a woman who was very popular. She grew up in foster homes and didn't have any family at all. She had a bunch of friends though. Her birthday was like a national holiday. She would easily have some kind of gathering, dinner, party every day for two weeks. I was her friend too and it had nothing to do with jealousy. I had just never seen an adult have more than one birthday party within the same year before I met her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting