Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2014, 03:48 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,559,063 times

Advertisements

I thought this was a great article, and a reminder that there actually is a difference between the three, and it's important for parents and kids to understand the difference.

Quote:
Rude = Inadvertently saying or doing something that hurts someone else.

Mean = Purposefully saying or doing something to hurt someone once (or maybe
twice).

Bullying = Intentionally aggressive behavior, repeated over time, that
involves an imbalance of power.

It is important to distinguish between rude, mean and bullying so that teachers, school administrators, police, youth workers, parents and kids all know what to pay attention to and when to intervene. As we have heard too often in the news, a child's future may depend on a non-jaded adult's ability to discern between rudeness at the bus stop and life-altering bullying.
Signe Whitson: Rude vs. Mean vs. Bullying: Defining the Differences
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2014, 06:36 AM

1,638 posts, read 3,831,001 times
Hmm, I disagree that rudeness is inadvertent. I know people who are chronically rude, and they know exactly what they're doing.

I think bullying can take many forms. I have one girl in middle school and sexual comments are a big one these days. There is this one kid that kept harassing her and making sexual comments to her, and about her. I would consider that a form of "bullying", even if it doesn't fit neatly into the categories mentioned above.

To me, the difference between mean/rude/inappropriate, and bullying, is a pattern of persistence. If it doesn't stop, then yes...it's bullying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting