Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2014, 09:17 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyerland View Post
That's a great article! Thanks for posting this.
You're welcome!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2014, 09:52 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,085,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Full size boxes?

Lol, We had oatmeal, Malt-o-Meal and Cheerios. If we had Sugar Smacks (my particular favorite) it meant they were on sale and we'd behaved all week.
Haha. We only had one box at a time.

Old 04-09-2014, 10:32 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Here is a very good article, written by an actual nutritionist, e.g. one who went to college to study nutrition:

Good Food...Bad Food
That is a great article. Too bad the people who really need to read it won't bother to click the link.

Old 04-09-2014, 11:05 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,971,885 times
Honestly, I think life should be so structured that everything is so dictated or not allowed.
I mean if your kid is wolfing down ho-ho's every other breath then you have issues.

But the occasional treat, snack whatever isn't bad.

I would never flat out say no junk ever because I couldn't expect myself to do that.

Healthy breakfasts, lunches and dinners, the occasional pizza night, dessert on occasion.

One thing I do plan on avoiding when I have kids is fast food. That **** is soooo nasty. I hate eating it myself and I avoid the major offenders McD's, Taco Bell, etc. I do like places like Qdoba and Panera.

It's just people should know by now, you forbid a child completely from something and they'll go buck wild once they can do as they please...

Old 04-09-2014, 11:09 PM

4,653 posts, read 4,973,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skins_fan82 View Post
I'm all for healthy living/eating, and teaching your kids at an early age to snack on fruits and veggies when hungry is a great idea.

But for those weirdo super health freaks who would never allow their child to experience a cheeseburger or a slice of pizza, that's just cruel. And I'm not talking that all organic, no GMOs, vegan crap either. By the time a kid is 10 years old, I would hope that every parent has allowed their child to have a big, greasy slice of pizza.

Again, eating healthy is a really good idea. But the thought that bad foods can't be had in moderation, is ridiculous.
Better still is teaching your kids how to eat such that they won't need to snack at all. Which includes the occasional hamburger. Just my opinion.

Old 04-10-2014, 01:38 AM

36 posts, read 38,549 times
Talking No Junk Food for You!

Well, I have four children. Brilliant in school/college. high grade points. World champions in Martial Arts and Extremely physically fit. A Dancer who is like a stick and a straight-A student. But nothing gets in the way of driving to the little store on a junk food raid. Kids need junk food. I don't know why, but it makes things better sometimes. When both my daughter and I were in college together, my husband would go to the store and buy, M&Ms, chips, pop, and ice cream; everything you need for an eight hour study session! At he dinner table they count calories, protein, carbs, and fats. They can prepare and serve a fully loaded meal fit for an athlete. Junk Food however becomes a party at our house. It happens, probably once a month, but it happens.
When rules are too harsh, children feel too controlled. They know the difference. Things that don't feel right are usually not right. It ends up making them think that they are low and may not allow them to express themselves fully or may infringe on life's ambition. The control doesn't stop at the food, but the food is the most notieable. No one can raise perfect children; it's not the place. Enjoy children they need it!

Last edited by cternes; 04-10-2014 at 01:44 AM.. Reason: spelling grammar

Old 04-10-2014, 02:00 AM

3,636 posts, read 3,425,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelpha View Post
Feeding them only veggies, fruits, whole grains, legumes, nuts, seeds, berries, legumes, tuna, salmon.

No sugar or empty calories, no non-nutritive snacks even at birthday parties & holidays.

Is this good parenting or too over the top?

The bottom line is that the kids are going to be extraordinarily healthy if they eat this way. What could be wrong with that?
I would reject the premise behind the use of the word "denying" in your OP title. That makes it sound like this is somehow their right or privilege - and you are in some way blocking this - as if it is somehow incumbant upon you to pander to their desire to have such foods.

It is not. Good parenting does indeed include ensuring the best possible diet you can give your child.

Old 04-10-2014, 07:43 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecavsbrowns View Post
Better still is teaching your kids how to eat such that they won't need to snack at all. Which includes the occasional hamburger. Just my opinion.
Again, most nutritionists would disagree.

Old 04-10-2014, 07:54 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Yes, and that happened before and after the 90s as well. (Agreeing with you!) There was a thread on here a while back started by the mom of a baby who felt the babysitter was feeding her child too much; the mom described her kid as "lean" and I thought, "uh-oh". I've seen kids in our office whose parents are so worried about obesity and such as well.
Just like people giving their kids skim milk because they don't realize that kids actually need fat in their diets and the fat soluble vitamins are removed when the fat is removed.

There was a young mother I once knew who decided her little girl was going to be a model and so she would give her only apple juice. Juice isn't particularly healthy -- too much sugar -- but people get on some food obsession and think it's good to limit the body to only one food type.

Luckily for this little girl, the free babysittier -- grandma -- was smarter and would feed the child. Otherwise the child was just going to be given apple juice.

Old 04-10-2014, 07:57 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,303,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecavsbrowns View Post
Sorry, but kids NEED snacks. They ideally should eat 5 or 6 small "meals" a day vs 3 larger meals. Doesn't mean the snack has to be junk but they need to eat more often.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting