Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2014, 09:36 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,776,455 times

Advertisements

Food industry "documentaries" are filmed with the very specific intention of grossing people out and traumatizing the viewer into choosing whatever the film-maker wants him to choose. I'd question the values of the parent who imposes that on their children, long before I questioned the values of a parent allowing a child to eat a hotdog once in awhile.

How about next time your kid says they want a pet, you force them to watch veterinary castrations, to make sure they understand what they'll be putting Fluffy through within the first couple of months of owning him?

You want to traumatize your kids into being *afraid* to do things, by all means, go ahead. They're your kids. Just don't expect much from them when they grow up. You've taught them to be afraid of making their own decisions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2014, 09:50 PM

2,547 posts, read 4,228,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Food industry "documentaries" are filmed with the very specific intention of grossing people out and traumatizing the viewer into choosing whatever the film-maker wants him to choose. I'd question the values of the parent who imposes that on their children, long before I questioned the values of a parent allowing a child to eat a hotdog once in awhile.

How about next time your kid says they want a pet, you force them to watch veterinary castrations, to make sure they understand what they'll be putting Fluffy through within the first couple of months of owning him?

You want to traumatize your kids into being *afraid* to do things, by all means, go ahead. They're your kids. Just don't expect much from them when they grow up. You've taught them to be afraid of making their own decisions.
Who said anything about being afraid??

I'm not talking about really young kids btw, but ones who are old enough to understand the message.
It IS about them learning to make their own decisions. The filmmakers aren't making this stuff up. It is really disgusting what the food industry is doing to our food supply, and I'm glad there are people out there finally uncovering it for the general public. We need to know what we eat, and that there is no one out there looking out for our health, it's all about the bottom line, and consumers need to think for themselves. We need to educate kids about what goes into their bodies. Would you prefer everything stay under wraps and you have no idea what's in your food, just so no one gets "traumatized"? That sure sounds like a healthy approach to making decisions...

Old 04-11-2014, 09:56 PM

2,547 posts, read 4,228,243 times
People used to think that way about smoking. Oh, no big deal. Kids smoked in high schools everywhere.
Slowly, with education, and yes, with some "hard love" tactics and "traumatizing" imagery, the message is finally getting through. I'm not seeing teens OR adults smoking in anywhere near the same numbers as they used to. It used to be "cool", now it's not.
Same thing needs to happen with food, and is happening already. Today's generation of kids are already so much more conscious in their choices, there's the whole foodie movement among teens that never used to be there, some of them are growing food, farming, cooking. McDonalds is really losing its cool factor. I personally think it's fantastic.

Old 04-12-2014, 07:22 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,776,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilCookie View Post
People used to think that way about smoking. Oh, no big deal. Kids smoked in high schools everywhere.
Slowly, with education, and yes, with some "hard love" tactics and "traumatizing" imagery, the message is finally getting through. I'm not seeing teens OR adults smoking in anywhere near the same numbers as they used to. It used to be "cool", now it's not.
Same thing needs to happen with food, and is happening already. Today's generation of kids are already so much more conscious in their choices, there's the whole foodie movement among teens that never used to be there, some of them are growing food, farming, cooking. McDonalds is really losing its cool factor. I personally think it's fantastic.
Except, having a Big Mac as a treat when you get straight A's in school doesn't cause cancer, or turn you into a food snob who believes that "sea foam" is a food category. Enjoying a single-serving-sized bag of Ruffles salt and vinegar at a birthday party isn't going to rot your lungs, and it doesn't have any particular "cool factor" nor is it a gateway to worse things, like (OMG) ice cream.

People who enjoy big macs, don't normally go through 20 of them a day - like people who smoke do with cigarettes. In fact, most people who enjoy big macs, likely don't even have ONE a day. I like Big Macs, and even when I was a kid, I didn't have more than one a month, which was a *TREAT* in our house.

You're turning a topic about *TREATS* into scare-mongering about smoking? Really? Is that what you get out of the discussion? That enjoying a treat will cause cancer and that kids need to be traumatized against it?

Old 04-12-2014, 07:50 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilCookie View Post
What Anon Chick said PLUS:

There is so much ignorance in the foodie movement it's amazing to anyone with any background in nutrition.

Teens are growing food and farming? Seriously? Where? Kids in Big Ag country may still work on the family farms, but other than photo shoots for publicity, I don't think there are any other kids doing so. Cooking? More and more meals are eaten out all the time. I don't think McDonald's was ever particularly "cool", but to see the lines at the local stores, it's not going anywhere.

Old 04-12-2014, 07:57 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,364,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelpha View Post
Feeding them only veggies, fruits, whole grains, legumes, nuts, seeds, berries, legumes, tuna, salmon.

No sugar or empty calories, no non-nutritive snacks even at birthday parties & holidays.

Is this good parenting or too over the top?

The bottom line is that the kids are going to be extraordinarily healthy if they eat this way. What could be wrong with that?
Have you read The Year Without Sugar? I'm about half-way through it now, and I can't stop thinking about it.

Old 04-12-2014, 08:02 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Have you read The Year Without Sugar? I'm about half-way through it now, and I can't stop thinking about it.
I read a review of it on NPR. It seems they justified some added sugars, like date sugar (made their own) and dextrose.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/201...ent-1332376400

Old 04-12-2014, 08:03 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,828,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I'm not so sure. Now I hate calling anyone a bad parent, and I think most parents do whatever it is they do b/c they love their children. But kids have to learn to make choices. That diet is very limited.
True. And it's possible that some kids who were raised on a diet like that might start rebelling when they start getting their own money. Maybe if kids know why things aren't good for them and then they could make their own choices. My grandfather was pretty clear when he constantly said "that'll rot your teeth out!"

Old 04-12-2014, 08:11 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,364,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I read a review of it on NPR. It seems they justified some added sugars, like date sugar (made their own) and dextrose.

The Latest Wacky Food Adventure: A Year Without Sugar : The Salt : NPR
A YouTube video of a lecture by Dr. Robert Lustig, a pediatric endocrinologist at UCSF, called "Sugar: The Bitter Truth" inspired the project. It's 90 minutes long, and I'm planning to watch it tonight while the kids are out and the house is quiet.

Old 04-12-2014, 08:33 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Except, having a Big Mac as a treat when you get straight A's in school doesn't cause cancer, or turn you into a food snob who believes that "sea foam" is a food category. Enjoying a single-serving-sized bag of Ruffles salt and vinegar at a birthday party isn't going to rot your lungs, and it doesn't have any particular "cool factor" nor is it a gateway to worse things, like (OMG) ice cream.

People who enjoy big macs, don't normally go through 20 of them a day - like people who smoke do with cigarettes. In fact, most people who enjoy big macs, likely don't even have ONE a day. I like Big Macs, and even when I was a kid, I didn't have more than one a month, which was a *TREAT* in our house.

You're turning a topic about *TREATS* into scare-mongering about smoking? Really? Is that what you get out of the discussion? That enjoying a treat will cause cancer and that kids need to be traumatized against it?
Having one cigarette a month won't do anything, either.
You advocate that as a treat?
You understand the metabolic hell that is unleashed when you eat a big Mac?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting