Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2014, 02:21 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,705,034 times

Advertisements

SaintCabbage,

You have posted on a public message board, and people are responding to those posts. Moderator Cut.

People on message boards reply to the information you put out there. It may not be what you want to hear or were expecting, but it's not part of some conspiracy against you simply because more than one person is having similar reactions to your posts.

Last edited by Jaded; 04-15-2014 at 02:36 PM.. Reason: Keep direct messages private or notify a moderator if they are inappropriate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2014, 02:22 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,705,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
This is the child with a congenital heart defect, correct? What is the status on that?
Oy...that is whole other level!!

Old 04-15-2014, 02:25 PM

1,171 posts, read 2,160,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
This is the child with a congenital heart defect, correct? What is the status on that?
It is, the hole closed on it's own, no issues there

Old 04-15-2014, 02:29 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,951,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintCabbage View Post
Indeed, currently he's in our bed just to keep an eye on him, I've very paranoid. When he chooses to lay on his side or stomach, he has no issues at all, but again, hes 2 1/2 and he's all over the place all night long. We have introduced a hard pillow to elevate him a bit. In the past, he absolutely refused to use a pillow, all our kids dont use pillows, it's strange. Head elevated as much as we can and rolling him on to his side seems to work. It really stinks for our sleep, but until I'm confident everything's OK, he's in there with us.

We did take him to his pediatrician and they seem relatively unconcerned about it. "Keep an eye on it", but until it starts happening more frequently, it's hard to concretely diagnose it. CYA to me, but I'm not a fan of doctors in general, so who knows.

Something worth noting is that he chokes on his food on the regular for whatever reason. Twice to the point of needing serious and immediate assistance, also very scary. I dont think it's related, more due to stuffing too much in your mouth at once. We have two other kids with no issues like this, he's the middle kid.
Did the subject of possible allergies get addressed? I will say, my son didn't only vomit during sleep, he would cough to the point of throwing up during the day too, but it was scarier at night.

Old 04-15-2014, 02:38 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,303,679 times
Since your pediatrician doesn't seem to want to look into this, I would take him to an allergy doctor....

Old 04-15-2014, 02:42 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,562,129 times
Quote:
It is, the hole closed on it's own, no issues there
These symptoms may very well be connected. If you are not happy with your current pediatrician then I highly encourage you to find another.

Old 04-15-2014, 02:47 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,172,734 times
Quote:
No, I'm not, I'm looking from advice/suggestions from people who have had a similar experience so we can share in that and somehow feel better about expressing our feelings on an anonymous Internet forum.

I certainly not expecting to get heavy-handed scolding from strangers who don't even have any experience with the same thing and have determined from a couple vague paragraphs that my child has a "serious problem". Since you took the time to disect my every word and make a definitive judgement of me and my child, you would know that I did take him to a doctor. And while I left out approximately 59 minutes of detail of my 60 minute discussion with the doctor, that you have deduced I hate more than words, the general feeling was to keep an eye on it, and if it worsens, lets explore it further. Which seems reasonable to me at this point.

Thank you to those with helpful, objective words based on previous experience.
Here's my experience. I have a child (now adult) with allergies so severe he gags until he chokes and throws up. He was diagnosed by a DOCTOR when he was young. His problem was allergies. Your son's problem could be something else. So, I've been there, done that. You can advocate for your child, get him help and have him PROPERLY diagnosed (that means a doctor and tests) .... or you can be unhappy with what you've been advised to do and decide everyone is being mean to you.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 04-15-2014 at 02:55 PM..

Old 04-15-2014, 02:56 PM

3,176 posts, read 6,216,270 times
Quote:
No, I'm not, I'm looking from advice/suggestions from people who have had a similar experience so we can share in that and somehow feel better about expressing our feelings on an anonymous Internet forum.

I certainly not expecting to get heavy-handed scolding from strangers who don't even have any experience with the same thing and have determined from a couple vague paragraphs that my child has a "serious problem". Since you took the time to disect my every word and make a definitive judgement of me and my child, you would know that I did take him to a doctor. And while I left out approximately 59 minutes of detail of my 60 minute discussion with the doctor, that you have deduced I hate more than words, the general feeling was to keep an eye on it, and if it worsens, lets explore it further. Which seems reasonable to me at this point.
YOU posted for feedback on a PARENTING board. You do realize this, yes? Your defensiveness, even combativeness - considering this - is a head-shaker all on its own. At any rate, moving on….

I am confused; so you say are fine with "keep(ing) an eye on it and if it worsens, lets explore it further" but you also say "currently he's in our bed just to keep an eye on him, I've very paranoid." Those two tidbits and their polarity make little to no sense.

Further, "Something worth noting is that he chokes on his food on the regular for whatever reason. Twice to the point of needing serious and immediate assistance, also very scary."

So are you scared enough or not? You claim you are "scared" and "paranoid" but not enough to get a freakin' second opinion? People get second opinions every.single.day for things seemingly much more trivial than the episodes you describe and it takes about the same amount of time as this thread's current lifespan.

Old 04-15-2014, 06:43 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,320,358 times
Quote:
Something worth noting is that he chokes on his food on the regular for whatever reason. Twice to the point of needing serious and immediate assistance, also very scary. I dont think it's related, .
I wouldn't be surprised if it was related and I'll tell you why. My oldest son, as a baby, would drink 4 oz and throw up 3. That boy threw up EVERY time he drank a bottle. Projectile. I got used to it. While driving I dared not put him in the back seat (before the law made parents do that) because he would choke as I drove and I had to pull over and make sure he was okay. I don't know what the deal was with him but he was a choker. Even now (he's grown) if a spaghetti noodle sneaks down half way he's gagging and jumping up like he's dying. Then he gets mad "I WAS CHOKING OVER HERE". I really don't know what I can do for him at this point. Not unless he gives the universal sign and I'll Heimlich him.

You might have a long road ahead. As you were describing sleeping I thought about elevating the head of his bed a little if he won't use a pillow. There must be some way to get him to sleep on his side. *picturing sleeping tent with animal pillows...*

He's obviously distraught because of the awfulness of choking, and waking up to that. Maybe he gets night terrors from that. He's at the age. That same son had night terrors when he was about your son's age but it was because of the tension in the household at the time.

He's going to grow out of it. But don't stop watching him. Hey, if you park a couple of really big cats on top of the blankets, you can pin him down on his side.

Old 04-15-2014, 07:43 PM

2,845 posts, read 6,013,029 times
Just to add, my brother was allergic to dust and chocolate. STill is. If you clean he has to leave because then his allergies go insane
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting