Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2014, 10:23 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,240,763 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
Who says, American's are the most uninformed people out there...
Actually people in Europe have the opinion that Americans are QUITE uninformed!

Note the European TV news and European newspapers do not censor things like they do in the U.S. You didn't know your news was censored? Try reading foreign news like the following...

UK-DAILYMIRROR
UK-DAILYRECORD
UK-DAILYMAIL
UK-EVENINGSTANDARD
UK-EXPRESS
UK-GUARDIAN
UK-INDEPENDENT
UK-SUN
UK-TELEGRAPH
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2014, 02:43 PM

4,360 posts, read 4,205,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_J View Post

Note the European TV news and European newspapers do not censor things like they do in the U.S. You didn't know your news was censored? Try reading foreign news like the following...

UK-DAILYMIRROR
UK-DAILYRECORD
UK-DAILYMAIL
UK-EVENINGSTANDARD
UK-EXPRESS
UK-GUARDIAN
UK-INDEPENDENT
UK-SUN
UK-TELEGRAPH
I regularly read online news from respected sites around the globe, including the wire reports of non-English-speaking news agencies. It is enlightening to get other perspectives that don't see the United States as the center of the map.

The Times of India
Le Monde
Pravda
Al Jazeera America. I also look at their non-US site from time to time.
Yahoo! News from a variety of countries. Their sites assemble links to the original sources.

None of these news outlets has a complete handle on the truth. Indeed, it is likely that the truth is nowhere to be found. But when you look at an issue from many different sides, and sort through all the propaganda, you get a better idea of what is really going on.

You're right in that the news provided in Europe is less censored than in the US. I wonder what the prevailing opinion is there about when to expose children to the horrors as they are presented in the news.

Old 05-04-2014, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhpartridge View Post
...You're right in that the news provided in Europe is less censored than in the US. I wonder what the prevailing opinion is there about when to expose children to the horrors as they are presented in the news.
Well America is viewed by the rest of the world as a "Puritanical society" - everything highly censored so as not to offend anyone! I've heard they do not hide things from the kids in Europe (or anyone else) as we do here.

The following may be "eye-opening" to some of you Puritans out there as the why the rest of the world laughs at us...
http://www.thespectrum.com/article/2...uritan-society

P.S. For a good example, look at how many posts are deleted, moved, or locked on the Parenting forum!

Old 05-04-2014, 08:35 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,386,609 times
Quote:

UK-DAILYMIRROR
UK-DAILYRECORD
UK-DAILYMAIL
UK-EVENINGSTANDARD
UK-EXPRESS
UK-GUARDIAN
UK-INDEPENDENT
UK-SUN
UK-TELEGRAPH
Most of those are tabloids that basically run sensationalistic stories. For a primer on British press censorship, see these links:
PressTV - UK officially censors media by DA-notice system
Life After Leveson: The UK media in 2014 - Index on Censorship | Index on Censorship
The British Government Has Decided To Censor The Entire World's Press And Media - Forbes

Pot, meet Kettle

Old 05-06-2014, 11:17 AM

1,851 posts, read 3,391,392 times
Quote:
Well America is viewed by the rest of the world as a "Puritanical society" - everything highly censored so as not to offend anyone! I've heard they do not hide things from the kids in Europe (or anyone else) as we do here.

The following may be "eye-opening" to some of you Puritans out there as the why the rest of the world laughs at us...
http://www.thespectrum.com/article/2...uritan-society

P.S. For a good example, look at how many posts are deleted, moved, or locked on the Parenting forum!
Better yet, why don't you actually READ the TOS for your answer! I thought about infracting you, but I see the post below did a better job of "censoring" you this time around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Awesome job Katiana!! Billy_J - Checkmate.

Back to the topic...as long a parents feel their children are mature enough to handle the content then let them see the news. It's really an individual family choice. Each child is different with regard to his/her maturity and sensitivity levels.

Old 05-06-2014, 12:08 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,526,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
as long a parents feel their children are mature enough to handle the content then let them see the news. It's really an individual family choice. Each child is different with regard to his/her maturity and sensitivity levels.
Agreed. And I think it can depend on what stories are in the headlines too. I don't think young children should necessarily watch the news without some accompanying talk from the parentals. Any sensational news story that's on 24/7 can seem like a common occurrence rather than one event covered continuously. After the Malaysian airline disappeared my daughter came and asked why this type of thing was so common now, not realizing it was one story, with stories from over the last 50 years thrown in.

Old 05-06-2014, 12:17 PM

43,011 posts, read 107,772,384 times
Quote:

Aren't you aware that the UK censors the INTERNET? When I was administrator of a debate forum, there were links to news articles that did not work for UK residents. Certain topics were taboo. It was strange topics too, such as lawsuits against a UK corporation, etc. When they asked, we started copying and pasting the articles so they could access information they were missing. Americans can access whatever information they want via the internet, including news from all over the world.

Old 05-07-2014, 09:13 AM

Well I have read stories about American issues on UK (and other English speaking country news web sites) which "tell all", but are censored in the U.S.

So while they may censor their own news, I've found some quite revealing stories about America! But DO check around with other foreign English news web sites... India, Canada, Australia, English version of French / German / Iran news outlets, etc.

Old 05-07-2014, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
I thought about infracting you, but I see the post below did a better job of "censoring" you this time around...

Reading the above, why do I feel I am in high school, about to be sent to the principals office?
(And I don't feel like I am having an intelligent "adult to adult" conversation?)

The last time I felt like that (as an adult), I was renting an apartment from a school teacher. I was discussing his failure to repair certain things (discussing this as an adult)... He suddenly got mad and blurted out... "I'm going to call your parents!" (I was 30 years old at the time... )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting