Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2014, 01:45 PM

1,192 posts, read 1,574,361 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
So glad you're reassured about your daughter's color perception - the rest will come in time.

And yes, sudden outbursts and temper tantrums are very typical for two and a half year olds. Hang in there - she'll outgrow them eventually. Meanwhile, try distraction and redirection and learn to spot the lead-up signs (which can be subtle) that she's wearing down and about to explode.

"No!" is also typical of this age - toddlers start feeling their oats and individuality, and want to try out their powers. So - give her simple choices, involve her in picking up her toys, set reasonable boundaries but avoid confrontation if you can, for everyone's sake.

Another picture book you might try if tantrums escalate is Edna Preston Mitchell's "The Temper-Tantrum Book", which uses a light touch and humor but gets the message across - hope it's still in print.
I think I know what you mean! But really though, the tantrums are not really that bad so far. Like you said, I pay close attention to what would trigger a tantrum. She likes chocolates (but of course) and she wants to eat them right before dinner. She doesnt remember it until she see's them. So I try to hide them away at least until after she eats her lunch/dinner and let her have a bite. But if she accidentally sees it and I refuse to give it, she bawls her eyes out. If I give in before the main meal, she doesnt touch her main meal.

But these incidents are rare (maybe once a week) which isnt bad for a 2 year old i think. I hope she sails through the terrible twos with out me having to say terrible! Lol

Thanks for the book suggestion though. I will check this out and see if my library carries them. If not, i may need to look into ordering it, if tantrums get bad.

Edit: is this for kids or for me to know how to control the tantrums?
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Thanks for this! i will see for this in library.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2014, 02:39 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,916,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maila View Post

Edit: is this for kids or for me to know how to control the tantrums?

Thanks for this! i will see for this in library.
It's to read to the kids.

Old 05-07-2014, 02:45 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,086,413 times
Quote:
you mean sudden things like this are common? I can count on my single hand the number of times she threw tantrums. Something frustrated her...its me. I think.
Yes, it's common. They call it the terrible twos (and often spills over into the threes) for a reason.

Old 05-07-2014, 02:48 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,916,488 times
Yep. The thing to remember is that it is a healthy sign that your toddler is developing his brain and learning to control his feelings.

Terrible 2s: Why are 2-year-olds so difficult? - Mayo Clinic

Old 05-07-2014, 11:11 PM

6,418 posts, read 7,250,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
Yes, it's common. They call it the terrible twos (and often spills over into the threes) for a reason.
I'm finding the threes are worse, urgh. Although with the 'No!* phase my daughter is polite at least - its the "no thanks!" phase

Old 05-08-2014, 02:07 AM

1,909 posts, read 2,538,772 times
Quote:
I have to come back and update this, we received this in mail 2 days ago. I just realized it was being shipped al the way from UK, no wonder they charged so much for shipping.

Anyway, thank you so much! I have used this game to see if she is able to differentiate between colors and she did! I took out 2 post boxes to start with. I only showed her twice how to put the cards in the postbox slot and she caught it! Within 10 mins I took out the third postbox and she correctly posted the respective color-postcards in the right slots! Phew...thank God, any doubts of vision issues are now cleared up.

I am in no rush to get her to name the colors, I just needed to know that she is 'seeing' colors as colors and not black and white.

Thanks a million!

By the way, is this how your game looked too? I took this pic last night.

Attachment 129562

Tulani, I got this book in mail. She seems to like it, though, she is unable to follow the story to the end. She is just over 2 right, so she is losing interest before the book ends. But she likes the cats though...we have been reading it on and off for 5 days now and she said last night, "hush and brush momma?" ...meaning she wants o read the book on Hush and Brush

thanks again.
The game looks awesome for learning colors... at least by sight.

Glad you both like the book. Give her time, it's a longish book for a 2 year old, but soon she will make it to the end and will want you to read it again. She already knows Hush and Brush, so that is a start.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsku View Post
I'm finding the threes are worse, urgh. Although with the 'No!* phase my daughter is polite at least - its the "no thanks!" phase
Are you into the wonderful "WHY?" stage yet? That is my favorite little kid stage.

Old 05-08-2014, 07:56 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,250,361 times
Urgh the "WHY???" stage. I wouldn't mind if it she actually wanted to know why but she doesn't care about the answer, just likes asking the question!! On the plus side, its an excellent age to make them believe all kinds of crazy things :P

Old 05-08-2014, 03:13 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,086,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsku View Post
Urgh the "WHY???" stage. I wouldn't mind if it she actually wanted to know why but she doesn't care about the answer, just likes asking the question!! On the plus side, its an excellent age to make them believe all kinds of crazy things :P
My "favorite" was the what's that stage with my niece. "What's that?" "It's a sign." "What's that?" "It's a car." "What's that?" "It's still a sign."

Old 05-08-2014, 03:49 PM

1,909 posts, read 2,538,772 times
We all know that the "Why?" and "What's that?" stages are just their way of learning. That does not mean that we can hold our sanity throughout.

I remember telling my son, "Because I said so." He told me he would NEVER say that to a kid.

A few years back we had a 3 year old in our life... this little girl was so into the "why" stage. She kept asking my son the same question, again and again. After about the tenth time he said, really exasperated, "Because I said so!" He finally understood just why it needs to be said at times.

Old 05-08-2014, 05:59 PM

1,632 posts, read 1,850,124 times
Quote:
My DD is 2 years and 4 months. She usually learns everything fast. She can say albhabets A-Z, number 1-20, identifies and names all animals (including many sea animals), veggies, fruits, shapes, says a few rhymes...you get the drift.

But when it comes to colors, I am unable to teach her. Not even one color. I had been trying since she turned 18 months with no luck.

Here are the things I tried:

1. Books
2. Baby Einstein videos
3. Talk to her in terms of colors like, 'today you are wearing blue socks' etc
4. Show her trees in the park and say they are green, snow is white etc.

I dont know if I am not doing something right? What could be the problem?

Any tips on teaching colors to her?
My toddler grandchild caught onto colors and counting fast from a book full of cupcakes Lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting