U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2007, 06:59 PM

1,022 posts, read 2,978,630 times

Advertisements

I need ideas for gifts for a 3 year old boy. I know he was into Thomas trains. Are there new toys out that are popular for 3 year old boys that I should know about?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2007, 06:58 AM

1,363 posts, read 5,342,463 times
The one 3 year old boy at my daughter's day care LOVED anything to do with John Deere. LOL. Who knew there was a whole line of toys for that? He may like Diego from the Dora cartoons, and maybe the Backyardigans too. My daughter is 2 and that's what she's into. My nephew like Diego for a while at that age too. Other than that, I guess you'd have to ask his mom what he likes. Good luck-it's tough!!

Old 12-10-2007, 11:31 AM

John Deere! That's a great idea! Thank you so much!

Old 12-10-2007, 11:45 AM

395 posts, read 1,792,563 times
Yes, John Deere! My almost 4 year old can't get enough of John Deere. They sell all sorts of John Deere construction toys, not just tractors, he's got a huge collection. He actually loves anything to do with construction, John Deere or not.

You should definitely ask his mom for advice though, when it comes to character toys, kids are all over the place. Some love a certain character, others hate it.

Old 12-10-2007, 12:21 PM

582 posts, read 1,816,680 times
You should talk to his mom about maybe getting him videos. My nephew loved construction stuff and trains, and when he just needed to settle down we would watch a Thomas the Tank Engine video or one of the "All About..." videos. Thay have All About Cranes, Tractors, Trains... just about anything a little boy would love.

Old 12-10-2007, 05:10 PM

1,594 posts, read 4,803,424 times
I have a three year old and here are some of the gifts that I have bought him so far:

Diego Aqua Doddle Mat
Memory
Fire Engine Playhut
Some Thomas Puzzles and books (Do all 3 years love Thomas???)
CATERPILLAR Bulldozer

He also love dressing up like super heroes... this lets him go crazy with his imagination!

Old 12-12-2007, 12:38 PM

Great ideas. I found some John Deere toys and have got a few, as well as a work bench that lights up and the tools make noises. Thanks, guys!!

Old 12-12-2007, 07:24 PM

371 posts, read 1,785,029 times
There's a website out called drtoy.com and it lists the toys that have won awards based on many different qualities. You can search the toys by age group, season, whatever! Its been helpful with the nieces and nephews that live away from us. I like toys that can be more than one thing. I especially like magnet toys and legos and the toys you can make into, say an airplane today and then maybe a rocket tomorrow. Also for 3 years old puppets are a hit usually. My son, who is 5 years old, loves for Mommy to talk to him through his bear (its his bestfriend that he totes everywhere). He sometimes brings out the other stuffed animals and I have to find different voices for them. You learn all sorts of cool stuff when the questions come from his "friends" rather than his nosey Mommy. Good luck!!

Old 12-12-2007, 09:03 PM

9,483 posts, read 10,720,384 times
Did you see the new ride in place bike for little ones? It's a game that plugs into a tv, they ride the excersise bike that comes with it, all the time playing this game while riding.

Old 12-12-2007, 09:22 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,285,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poconoproud View Post
Did you see the new ride in place bike for little ones? It's a game that plugs into a tv, they ride the excersise bike that comes with it, all the time playing this game while riding.
This looks like an awesome toy to get that rainy-day energy out, I'm just sorry my almost 6 y/o is too big for it. It's called the Fisher-Price Smart Cycle: http://www.fisher-price.com/fp.aspx?st=10&e=smartcycleproduct&pid=39972 (broken link)

My older son is a competitive cyclist and he was lamenting why they didn't have such "cool" stuff when he was little LOL

Another thing my 3/4 year olds have enjoyed are Mega blocks, sized a bit bigger than standard Legos for younger builders.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting