Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2014, 05:21 PM

2 posts, read 1,970 times

Advertisements

I recognize the politically correct view is to use positive reinforcement with children. But how about when you have a teen who just wants to challenge your authority?

My teen step daughter lives in my house, under my roof, and acts like both her mother and I owe her the world.

I have to say that I'm reaching my breaking point with her, to the point where I'm tempted to teach her an old fashioned lesson in how to respect one's parents.

I'm just venting after a difficult day. I feel like I'm out of options with her.

Old 04-27-2014, 05:26 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,443,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmandrake View Post
I recognize the politically correct view is to use positive reinforcement with children. But how about when you have a teen who just wants to challenge your authority?

My teen step daughter lives in my house, under my roof, and acts like both her mother and I owe her the world.

I have to say that I'm reaching my breaking point with her, to the point where I'm tempted to teach her an old fashioned lesson in how to respect one's parents.

I'm just venting after a difficult day. I feel like I'm out of options with her.

What do you mean by "fear and humility"? And given this is your stepdaughter not your daughter - you need to remember that parenting and step-parenting are two different things.

Old 04-27-2014, 06:05 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,700,377 times
Quote:

So you are saying you want to beat her up so you can prove you are in charge? Lovely.

Even bother to talk to her and find out what she's going through and how she feels about her mother's remarriage? Naw...can't talk to a teenager....they might tell you a truth you don't want to hear. Easier just to be the 'big man' and want to beat her up.

No sympathy...and if that is your attitude, no wonder she's acting out.

Old 04-27-2014, 06:06 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,809,810 times
Quote:

Use the old stepkid favorite but turn the tables on her... "I don't have to do anything! You're not my daughter!" or "I'm not your mother!"

At least you have that on your side.

Old 04-27-2014, 07:22 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,154,780 times
Quote:

Take a walk.

No good ever came out of someone deciding to do what you are suggesting.

Old 04-27-2014, 07:49 PM

2 posts, read 1,970 times
I'm doing my best to try and be as rationally objective as I can. It's just I feel like she doesn't respond to withdrawing privileges. She wants more freedom and independence than she is mature enough to handle. I personally feel something more old fashioned like a carefully applied spanking (not beating) would snap her back to the realization she is not an adult yet, and that parents still are ultimately in charge.

Old 04-27-2014, 08:09 PM

13,980 posts, read 25,937,803 times
Quote:
I'm doing my best to try and be as rationally objective as I can. It's just I feel like she doesn't respond to withdrawing privileges. She wants more freedom and independence than she is mature enough to handle. I personally feel something more old fashioned like a carefully applied spanking (not beating) would snap her back to the realization she is not an adult yet, and that parents still are ultimately in charge.
It appears you are aiming for fear and humiliation, not humility.

If you are for real (new poster, again, hmmm), back off step-dad. She could call the authorities on you. Mom is in charge, your job is to back up Mom.

Old 04-27-2014, 08:27 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,718,503 times
Quote:
Spanking a teen? Are you serious? Why? What possible lesson would you be teaching her that you could not teach in a more rational way?

Old 04-27-2014, 09:27 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,809,810 times
Oh wow... I thought you were stepmom

Don't even consider trying to spank a teen-age girl. You risk being accused of all sorts of stuff.

How does your wife treat her?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.