Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2014, 05:20 PM

4,829 posts, read 8,724,280 times

Advertisements

My daughter never had diaper rash and I used wipes. I don't know where the previous poster gets the idea that they cause diaper rash. Diaper rash can be caused my many things, including having a wet or dirty diaper on too long and it can also be a yeast or bacterial infection. It could also be an allergic reaction to wipes or diapers but wipes are not the sole cause of diaper rash in children.

Anyway, back to the OP. no kudzu, thanks for posting an interesting article. I looked at it and it made me think of all the ridiculous stuff I wasted money on when my daughter was little! I had an expensive crib when a $99 one would have sufficed; I also had an expensive stroller that converted into a baby buggy if I wanted her to nap and all kinds of other stuff. I never bought a diaper genie --- gross and I just took her dirty diapers, put them in a plastic bag, wrapped it and tossed it. Never a lingering poopy-diaper smell. I never put shoes on her until she was a year old and walking and, even then, I only put them on her when we went out; in the house, it was socks or slippers.

If I would have known then what I know now, I probably could have saved myself a few thousand dollars!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2014, 07:29 PM

5,450 posts, read 8,759,049 times
That last picture where the comment began with "stop it. Your child is not luggage." That had me laughing very hard.

I would lose it again if I ever saw someone pulling their child's car seat like that

Old 05-03-2014, 07:31 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,592,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseyt719 View Post
That last picture where the comment began with "stop it. Your child is not luggage." That had me laughing very hard.

I would lose it again if I ever saw someone pulling their child's car seat like that
I would too but I still would have used it. Those seats are heavy and there's no point in waking a sleeping child while changing flights unless you have to.

Old 05-03-2014, 07:34 PM

5,450 posts, read 8,759,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
I would too but I still would have used it. Those seats are heavy and there's no point in waking a sleeping child while changing flights unless you have to.
I could see it's point really. I just find it utterly hilarious!!!!

Maybe I need a drink

Old 05-03-2014, 08:18 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,774,520 times
I tell people they only need a bucket car seat, a safe crib or bassinet, some diapers, a little bit of layette clothing, and a couple of bottles and a small can of formula powder, just in case. That's it. That expensive fully equipped nursery? It's for you, not the baby.

I only used wipes when we were out of the house, no sink available. Otherwise, if they'd pooped, I always washed them under running water, using my hand, not a washcloth (they're abrasive), then drying very well, even blow-drying, then a thick coat of Balmex. Never had trouble with diaper rash. Once, when house was under construction, no sink available, I used wipes. After two days, kid had terrible diaper rash. It's because they leave them wet.

Old 05-03-2014, 08:46 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,471,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post

I love the diaper Genie! I live in a apartment in the city of Chicago and the last thing I want is nasty diapers filling up my garbage can. I have to haul it down several flights of stairs, around the building and into the dumpster in the alley behind our building. The Genie takes away odors and take up little space. Love it!

Old 05-03-2014, 08:51 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,774,520 times
I felt like I was preserving diapers by sealing them in plastic, and it STILL stank. We just threw ours into plastic supermarket bags, tied them shut, and threw them in the trash basket. Took the garbage out once a day at least. But we didn't have to take them as far as you! But seriously, tying them into a supermarket plastic bag was better than the diaper genie.

Old 05-03-2014, 08:52 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,471,476 times
But I tell you what was a waste of money for me....

The Swing! can you believe that

Old 05-03-2014, 08:57 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,592,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
But I tell you what was a waste of money for me....

The Swing! can you believe that
That's funny my son loved his but only side to side not back and forth

Old 05-03-2014, 09:12 PM

1,961 posts, read 4,383,133 times
I LOVE my Diaper Genie. It rarely gets stinky. Maybe I am just lucky. I smelled much worse smells from the garbage can if we used that, even with wrapping the diapers in plastic bags and then tossing them in the trash.

I also bought an "expensive" crib, but its one of those convertible cribs that goes from crib, to toddler bed to full size bed. We bought one for all three of our kids. Its really high quality, well constructed, and will be their beds for life.

It depends on your parenting style and life-style needs as to what is considered a waste of money. I felt that swings were a waste of money, never had one, and could not see spending the money on something used for such a short period of time. I also found changing tables to be a waste of money. I either changed my kids on the floor or on top of the dresser. With my twins now, they get changed wherever I happen to be. I would also add video/movement monitors. But again, these are all items that did not gel with my personal lifestyle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting