Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2014, 06:51 PM

550 posts, read 964,322 times

Advertisements

I liked my first instrument, hated my second and fell in love with my third.

I would like to give the same opportunities for my own kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2014, 03:47 PM

133 posts, read 151,953 times
Of course he has to learn to play multiple musical instruments! Why? Because I say so!!! MY HOUSE, MY RULES. I'M THE BOSS!!! Forever!!!

I'm honestly just joking. Like another post I read stated, I come from a musical family, though mostly from my mother's side. Cello, piano, violin, etc. I started learning the harp as a young girl, as well as other instruments. I also enjoy the harmonica and others.
Music is a passion of mine and I honestly wasn't sure if it would be that way with my son. For sure I knew that I wanted to pass on my love of music. Selfishly, I also wanted him to learn harp because it's a gift that I wanted to pass down to him. Luckily, I never had to even consider forcing it; he's still very young but he has accomplished a lot and loves the harp. I have started him in cello as well. Baby steps. I will encourage him as long as he is interested.

I don't want to overwhelm him. He is also learning three different languages in addition to good ol English. If he didn't want to play anymore, I certainly wouldn't make him, but it is a tradition I would like to see passed down. He might not want to travel all over the world and study it like I did, but if he has an appreciation for it that would be awesome.

Old 05-24-2014, 03:15 PM

17 posts, read 21,947 times
My wife can play the Dizi, Erhu,Pipa and a Guzheng, I can play the fiddle and guitar , My son plays drums and sax, my two daughters play guitar and one plays drums the other plays banjo, my step daughter plays almost anything with strings if you give her about 15 to 30 minutes with it, I think it's good for children to learn to play music, IF, that is what THEY want, it helps the family come together

Old 05-24-2014, 07:06 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,731,509 times
No kids here, but I was one once. That qualifies me to answer.

EVERY kid had to learn to play the recorder, in elementary school. It was required, and every class of recorder-playing kids had to play Good King Wenseslaus for their group recital.

Around the same time, I was taking private piano lessons. I hated practicing though, so when I broke my arm that year, I used that as the perfect excuse to stop taking lessons. At this point I also picked up playing the tin whistle and the jaw harp.

Around 2 years later, when I was either 10 or 11, my grandmother gave me my first guitar. I took private lessons for that and though I resisted practicing, I learned to tolerate it, and became fairly adept at it. A couple years later in Junior High, I joined the orchestra and the music teacher needed viola players so I volunteered to learn. I ended up taking private lessons for that too, and since I didn't own my own viola, my teacher allowed me to practice with one of his. So I used a crappy school viola for school and performances, and a Bignami master-crafted viola for lessons and private study. I was still also learning guitar, but stopped taking classical lessons and taught myself by listening to records and repeating what I heard.

By the time I got to High School I could play the recorder, the viola, the guitar, the violin, the piano, and then during HS I picked up the glockenspiel, the baritone, sousaphone, and bass guitar. I also filled in for the bass drummer one time at a football game, because we had 2 glock players already and the bass drummer sprained his foot and couldn't march that week.

I can read G, F, and C clef, and I taught myself guitar tablature. I also took music theory in high school and a secondary course in college, which helped me immensely in understanding all the algebra I had barely passed in 10th grade (music is a form of applied mathematics).

During my years in college I also learned the basics of the banjo, mandolin, mountain and hammer dulcimers.

My father was a concert pianist and played for the community chorus, which held some practices at our house on occasion. So I was surrounded by music growing up, and it was just a natural thing for me to embrace the idea of playing at least one instrument. I don't think anyone in the family counted on me learning how to play over a dozen of them.

I was a busker for six of my seven years in Boston after my first year in college, and my guitar playing paid almost all of my expenses for my fourth year of school including tuition. I "relaxed" after that year since I didn't need to pay tuition after graduating.

I still play guitar and sing, but only for my own entertainment and occasionally to entertain customers at work (I work retail).

I keep meaning to buy a viola but they're expensive and I have more pressing priorities with my money right now. I go into the local music shops now and then and pick one up and play. I'm horribly rusty but I'm sure if I had time to practice it'll come back to me quickly.

I would encourage anyone who has children who show an interest in music, to do what they can to get them started on an instrument. Even if it's just a $10 plastic recorder or something as simple as an empty oatmeal box with beans in it to shake to the beat of their favorite tune.

Old 05-31-2014, 06:36 PM

483 posts, read 669,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twoincomes View Post
Do you have your kid learn several unique musical instruments while they're still in their pre-teen years?

A friend is doing this in large part to try to show how musically inclined her kid is. But I see it more as a reflection of moms desire to drop coin on musical instruments and lessons than reflective of her kids musical talents.

Curious to hear your opinions on learning multiple musical instruments instead of just one.
"Sporty" families often do more than one sport so why not multiple instruments for a music loving family?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting