Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2014, 10:52 AM

4,818 posts, read 10,998,374 times

Advertisements

I live very near the town where the article mentions. Fosston is a small town like many but certainly not in the middle of nowhere and is not an economically depressed town.

Here is an update from the local paper which serves the area -- Grand Forks Herald

Seems most of the issues stem on the bus, which often can be far worse than any school.

Viral video adds to bullying debate; Fosston school officials look for solution to reported incidents on bus | Grand Forks Herald

Update: Bullying Allegation Video Goes Viral, Valley News Live I - Valley News Live - KVLY/KXJB - Fargo/Grand Forks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2014, 11:04 AM

I just saw this in regards to this issue...check out Nancy Grace show 7 pm CST on HLN. From a local radio personality FB page....

Check me out tonight On CNNs Headline News Channel, I'll be on the Nancy Grace show 7pm (CST) talking about the little girl in Fosston MN who has been having non stop bulling issues and nothing was done till the mom posted a video of what her daughter has been going through and went viral. The Jay Thomas Show 2-5 pm on 970 WDAY & wday.com

Old 05-12-2014, 11:12 AM

2,094 posts, read 1,924,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
We need to change wiretapping laws allow victims of bullying to audio and video tape. Laws were recently changed in my state to allow victims and witnesses of violent crimes. I see no reason why that can't be extended to students who are being bullied.

Everything they did didn't make sense. It's obvious the principal's motive was to hide the evidence of bullying. The police officer makes no sense. He charged the teen with wiretapping without any evidence because the principal had it deleted prior to the police arriving. (Rumor has it, the bully is the son of a police officer.) The magistrate lessened the charge to disorderly conduct, but she should have thrown the case out. I'm certain she won't be re-elected. Parents throughout the school district demanded the principal be fired, but the school board resisted and I haven't heard anything about that since.

This happened the same week we had the mass stabbing in another school district. Rumor was the attacker was a victim of bullying. It wasn't verified because the school and the police are brushing that under the rug. (The kid's lawyer is denying it too because it's not good for his defense.) The police chief contradicted himself many times concerning the bullying question. One parent (of another student who is bullied) said he/she provided police with a screenshot of a facebook page calling him a rat face. When she went to the news with it, the chief said they never received any information about it. Later he said there was no proof the rat face comments were directed to the attacker. Meanwhile, all of the kids at school know that's the nickname bullies called him. There is also rumors that there was a horrific hazing in the locker room of the attacker a few days prior. No verification.

That was a sad week with two Pittsburgh upper middle class suburban schools making international news.
I heard a lot of these "rumors" about the bullying with the Franklin Regional kid too. And seeing that I live in the district, I will be pretty dissapointed if the truth doesn't come out. I don't know how it wouldn't be good for his defense. I'm kid of shocked nothing has come out. I'd like to make an educated decision if this is the kind of district I want to bother staying in.

Old 05-12-2014, 01:03 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbsteel View Post
I'd like to make an educated decision if this is the kind of district I want to bother staying in.
I remember you posting similar in the Pittsburgh forum. Bullying happens in every district. There's no reason to move. You could be hopping out of the frying pan and into the fire. I transferred my children to a small Catholic school and there was more bullying there than there was at the public school.

The only thing different right now about Franklin Regional is the administration and the police are sweeping it under the rug. Any district would do that after something like this, not necessarily the police departments though. The police chief's handling of this really confuses me. The police department is supposed to be separate from the local government and school. It's a fine line, but a strong chief makes sure his police department is independent and effective.

You have no way of knowing how a district will respond to something like this until it happens. You're actually better staying where you are because lightening doesn't strike twice in the same place.

Old 05-12-2014, 04:20 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
There are usually signs about these kinds of kids. I think parents usually are in deep denial. I found this on FB and I know I've seen many a study which details how many killers were involved in animal torture. Not saying all bullies will eventually become killers but we as parents need to acknowledge how some behavior leads to others. How come we never hear from the parents of bullies?
Signs are always very apparent in 20/20 hindsight.

Old 05-12-2014, 08:57 PM

Concerning the Fosston MN girl

This statement released tonight to local media from bus driver....

Update: The Bus Driver Responds - Bullying Allegation Video Goes - Valley News Live - KVLY/KXJB - Fargo/Grand Forks

Quote:
"My name is Oran Underdahl. I’ve been a bus driver with Fosston Public Schools for six years. I have an impeccable safety record and no disciplinary history. I love my job and the kids that I have been privileged to serve. The outpouring of support from Fosston kids and families in the wake of allegations that I have bullied and/or allowed students to be bullied on my bus route has been overwhelming, and I am truly grateful for it."

Last edited by Jaded; 05-12-2014 at 11:32 PM.. Reason: Copyright

Old 05-12-2014, 09:14 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
Even that vampire veterinarian in Fort Worth has supporters.

So, the bus driver is going to sue a little girl. That's something a bully would do.

Old 05-12-2014, 09:27 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,700,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Even that vampire veterinarian in Fort Worth has supporters.

So, the bus driver is going to sue a little girl. That's something a bully would do.
That was my first thought. It's quite telling.

Old 05-12-2014, 09:40 PM

5,204 posts, read 4,665,923 times
As parent, is it entirely realistic to protect your child from bullying? I think being bullied is just a part of growing up as long as there is no real physical harm. Children are naturally mean and name calling is just too common.

Old 05-12-2014, 10:03 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,700,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adhom View Post
As parent, is it entirely realistic to protect your child from bullying? I think being bullied is just a part of growing up as long as there is no real physical harm. Children are naturally mean and name calling is just too common.
No, children are not 'naturally mean'. You can't protect a child fully from children that have been taught negative behaviors, but one does expect that other adults that have positions to protect children in their care to do so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting