U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2007, 02:10 PM

13,466 posts, read 21,220,101 times

Advertisements

I was 22 when my first baby came the next were at 24,25 and 26 My oldest daughter had her first baby just 2 months before her 17 b'day..My h signed for her to get married on her 16th b'day..Against my wishes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2007, 12:20 AM

2,096 posts, read 8,065,831 times
I dont think 22 is very young to have a baby. Heck, look at the HighSchools, many now have in school day care due to so many teen mothers. i work w/kids and theres moms of all ages who bring their kids in. any of the moms over the age of 18 dont stand out for being young....now, were you to say you are 15 and a mom feeling like you are looked at funny due to age, then I could see your point more.....
btw, i had my first a few months after my 19th bday, my 2nd when I was 23, and my last when i was almost 28.
and like other said, many moms, especially first timers, feel left out/odd girl out in groups.I felt out when I had my first, but that was because everyone else was having "average babies" and I had a micropremiee who had a whole different set of milestones then my friends were going for.
keep trying, one new friend at a time. A great conversation started, compliment her baby first of all. then, her labor. very few women can resist talking about their wonderful baby or their goll awful labor. lol
best of luck,
Tiffany

Old 12-29-2007, 10:30 PM

16,487 posts, read 20,364,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelaRed View Post
I had my first child when I was 22 and truthfully every parent event or playgroup or church function I've ever been to where my child can be involved with kids her age I am ALWAYS younger than the rest of the parents. Even now I'm 28 my child is 6. I have always felt like these somewhat older parents who had more time to get the nicer house, nicer veichle, nicer whatever, are withdrawn from me. I mean I go up and try to get involved but they always seem distant. I almost feel judged. maybe because they think I'm young I wouldn't know or "not mature" maybe because I don't have that nicer whatever.

I was just wondering if this is common? And even though I'm almost 30, I guess in my daughters age group I will always be the "young parent"

On the flip side of the coin I also have a 2yr old son, and a 5month old son and the parents in of their peers are still a tiny bit older than me, but I fit in better for some reason.
Wow, I find what you say interesting. I am the opposite end of the spectrum. I am 54 with 4 children, 3 at home, ages 5-20. I am generally the oldest parent at any event. I get asked all the time if I am the grandmother (ugh). I feel like the other moms cannot relate to me or something, but they have little to do with me. My daughter goes to pre-school and I hate bringing her. None of the moms talk to me, they are all clickish and huddle together on the play yard talking. I just bring her and drop her off and when I pick her up try to get the hell out of there as soon as I can. To be honest, how easy would it be for me to be friend with someone not much older than my oldest son??? We are from two different generations. Where I live most of the parents are young.

Old 12-31-2007, 08:22 AM

6 posts, read 26,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelaRed View Post
I had my first child when I was 22 and truthfully every parent event or playgroup or church function I've ever been to where my child can be involved with kids her age I am ALWAYS younger than the rest of the parents. Even now I'm 28 my child is 6. I have always felt like these somewhat older parents who had more time to get the nicer house, nicer veichle, nicer whatever, are withdrawn from me. I mean I go up and try to get involved but they always seem distant. I almost feel judged. maybe because they think I'm young I wouldn't know or "not mature" maybe because I don't have that nicer whatever.

I was just wondering if this is common? And even though I'm almost 30, I guess in my daughters age group I will always be the "young parent"

On the flip side of the coin I also have a 2yr old son, and a 5month old son and the parents in of their peers are still a tiny bit older than me, but I fit in better for some reason.

There is nothing to be done about what anybody else thinks. People are generally all worrying about others are thinking of them, just like you are!

I'm 25 and my daughter is 9 and I generally prefer spending time with people my own age. I also gravitate toward people with kids. Young parents are not too hard to find!

Old 12-31-2007, 08:59 PM

308 posts, read 1,444,777 times
I know a number of people who had children younger than me, so I didn't think I would run into problems with the parents of my son's peers. Unfortunately, I look younger than my age so I get lots of people who think I must've had him when I was in school. And, I have some people who believe that I'm STILL in school. (I volunteered for the kiddo's school bookfair last year. I was asked on multiple occasions why I was roaming the hallways and/or not in class.) I've overheard the snarky comments made by the other kids' parents about the "teenage mother" and they honestly annoyed the frak out of me in the beginning. I would arrive for school functions, say 'hi' and attempt to make polite small talk (which is something I generally don't like doing anyway), only to be pointedly ignored. Granted, I think these parents are more irked that I don't fit in with the financial status quo. We send our kiddo to a private school, and there are apparently a number who think only the creme de la creme (monetary wise) should be attending their hallowed institution. I obviously must not be rich enough because I don't stay at home to tend the maids nor do I play dress up all day every day. 'Tis amusing though that my husband does not receive the same 'welcoming' when he attends them. Of course, he also fits within (and looks) their age range. I finally gave up and don't even bother trying to strike up conversation with the majority of them anymore. I did finally met a few other parents who seemed genuinely friendly, so I'll say 'hi' to them, otherwise, I focus on my kiddo. After all, he's the reason why I'm there anyway.

Old 01-01-2008, 10:54 AM

1,156 posts, read 3,232,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paramour View Post
I know a number of people who had children younger than me, so I didn't think I would run into problems with the parents of my son's peers. Unfortunately, I look younger than my age so I get lots of people who think I must've had him when I was in school. And, I have some people who believe that I'm STILL in school. (I volunteered for the kiddo's school bookfair last year. I was asked on multiple occasions why I was roaming the hallways and/or not in class.) I've overheard the snarky comments made by the other kids' parents about the "teenage mother" and they honestly annoyed the frak out of me in the beginning. I would arrive for school functions, say 'hi' and attempt to make polite small talk (which is something I generally don't like doing anyway), only to be pointedly ignored. Granted, I think these parents are more irked that I don't fit in with the financial status quo. We send our kiddo to a private school, and there are apparently a number who think only the creme de la creme (monetary wise) should be attending their hallowed institution. I obviously must not be rich enough because I don't stay at home to tend the maids nor do I play dress up all day every day. 'Tis amusing though that my husband does not receive the same 'welcoming' when he attends them. Of course, he also fits within (and looks) their age range. I finally gave up and don't even bother trying to strike up conversation with the majority of them anymore. I did finally met a few other parents who seemed genuinely friendly, so I'll say 'hi' to them, otherwise, I focus on my kiddo. After all, he's the reason why I'm there anyway.
It's too bad that people are so quick to judge. It sounds like you're making decisions your comfortable with. Maybe some more parents will come around when they see you're ultimately there for the same reason they are - your kids.

Old 01-11-2008, 12:18 PM

238 posts, read 748,038 times
22 doesn't seem young to me to be having children. 16? Yes thats a little young but 22 is almost a little later in life than what seems to be the norm at least where I come from. I married in my late teens and had 2 wonderful children within the disasterous marriage which lasted a few years so I was around your age when I had mine. I lived up north at the time and on occassion people would say how young I was to have two children but then I would say where I was from and people would get it. I'm a big supporter of having children early. Good luck with the little one!

Old 01-11-2008, 01:45 PM

1,703 posts, read 3,455,194 times
The only thing I can think of while reading through this thread is why are women so witchy??? Men don't do this with each other. I had my son at 28 and am now 36. I'm in the middle to older end of the spectrum among the parents of my son's friends. I honestly don't know if it's an age thing or if it's just younger mom's feel they don't have anything in common with older mom's and vice versa. Although for me, it's never mattered one way or the other. I have friends who are older and younger. Being a mom is being a mom no matter how old you are. If anyone judges anyone else for how much or how little they have, I don't want to be friends with them. I don't have the time or energy for that kind of stuff in my life!

Old 10-04-2008, 12:43 PM

12 posts, read 25,939 times
you all were a lot older than i was i had my first at 14 i am now 18 i have two daughters I am expecting twins i three step children and my oldest stepdaughter is pregnant

Last edited by mimi111; 10-04-2008 at 12:54 PM..

Old 10-04-2008, 01:10 PM

12 posts, read 25,939 times
I hate people if you have children younger or older than what people say is ''normal'' than forget about making polite conversation i have three stepchildren their mom ran out and left them with their dad so i take care of them my oldest stepdaughter is 13 and in junior high i had to get one day to take her to a dentist appointment i went to the office to pick her up and the secretaries not only thought i was a student but they actually called the vice principal down to the office to deal with "an unruly student"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or