U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2009, 11:43 PM

3 posts, read 4,366 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExpectingMumy View Post
im 19 and am pregnant. Many people told me not to have the child, as i will never be accepted in society and will always be labeled in a negative way. I choose to have my child, i have a place of my own and live with my boyfriend. I hope when my child goes off to play group and school people will be respectful of my situation and not make judgments. Everyone wants to give their child the best chance in life no matter what age they are.

I couldnt of said it better myself!
That was my exact situation 2 years ago. I had my son at 19, and felt like everyone was upset with my choice. It helped to have my boyfriends family being supportive, (btw my family finally came around after our son was born), and it made me realize through all this, that strangers may gawk,stare & tsk tsk (I got ALOT of those) but the only thing that is important now is your baby, and doing whats best for him/her. At the end of the day thats all that matters.

Btw i am also having a hard time finding a playgroup in my area. I take my son to the park alot and often find myself amongst other mothers, but because of the age gap between us (they are usually in their early 30's) I feel akward and uncomfortable around them, like they see me as just a kid who had a kid. A couple of my good friends just had children, but theirs are only 3 and 7 months old, so they are a bit to young for my son to play with.

Last edited by Pikapoprocks; 06-23-2009 at 11:52 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2009, 08:52 AM

275 posts, read 616,825 times
I had my first son at 22 and people were asking me what took me so long!

LOL. That was because I was from a small town where most of the girls in my high school were pregnant, or had a kid already by the time of HS graduation. The only goals in my town were, find a husband with a good job, be a SAHM and have kids. I went to college, got married and then had my kids.

Not saying that there is anything wrong with having kids at a young age, I just think it's funny how some places have opposite expectations. Now I am 25 and expecting my second little boy in about 6 weeks.

I think as long as you are mature enough, you care for your child and are responsible, don't worry about whether the other moms or older or younger. A 25 year old mother may not have more experience than a 22 year old mother if they are both on their first child.

Old 06-24-2009, 11:09 AM

4,677 posts, read 1,837,207 times
I'm 26 and I have a 5 year old son. But the thing is a lot of the people I went to hs with already have at least 2. I know quite a few that already have 3 and 4 and I'm wondering what the rush is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or