U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2014, 08:50 AM

421 posts, read 614,403 times

Advertisements

Many parents play piano, yet they have their children take piano lessons from a private instructor. Why do they do that? Why not just teach their children at home for a little bit each week?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2014, 08:52 AM

24,469 posts, read 28,723,874 times
This is a common occurrence? ok...

Being able to do something doesn't make a person a good teacher. That goes for pretty much everything.

Old 05-17-2014, 08:55 AM

1,630 posts, read 1,783,139 times
Maybe the parents believe, as I do, that it's good to spread one's money around. They're helping to provide income for other adults, e.g., the piano instructors.
Also, it's possible that the instructors have a better handle on how to instruct beginners.

Old 05-17-2014, 09:07 AM

21,134 posts, read 22,102,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post

Being able to do something doesn't make a person a good teacher. That goes for pretty much everything.

Yes, this.

And frankly, even if one is an able teacher, teaching your own child can be a challenge. It is often much easier to be patient with someone else's child, and to separate the teaching/parenting thing. That's a double challenge that not everyone can or wants to deal with.

Old 05-17-2014, 09:07 AM

I know a couple families who use piano lessons for their child/children when the parents are proficient at performing. I didn't want to be rude to ask why. Are they not wanting their child to get frustrated and hate the instrument? Do the children learn some things better from someone who is not their parent? Do parents not want to deal with teaching the basics (mundane scales, "London Bridge is Falling Down," etc)?

Old 05-17-2014, 09:13 AM

4,762 posts, read 10,224,033 times
-Maybe vacation from kids for a bit?
-Maybe so they don't have to listen to the "noise"? Instead have peace and quiet for awhile - good for nerves!
-Maybe because it takes a LOT of time and they don't have the time?
-Maybe because they can afford it?

Other than that, "Those who can, do. Those who can't, teach!" I don't know how true that is, but I do know I once started to teach a kid how to use a clutch on a car... I suddenly realized it was all "automatic" to me and I did not realize exactly what I was doing to operate the clutch - could not put it into words. I had to stop and think about exactly WHAT I was doing when I pressed the clutch - like to back up slowly (I don't just let the clutch out and go zipping backwards!)

Last edited by Billy_J; 05-17-2014 at 10:20 AM..

Old 05-17-2014, 09:25 AM

3,301 posts, read 4,836,400 times
Both of my folks were fairly accomplished pianists but they had me take lessons from someone else. One factor may have been that I took my lessons after school while they were both still at work. I often did my practice before they got home because it drove me crazy when I'd hit a wrong note and my mom, while busy cooking dinner in the kitchen would call out "That's F sharp dear". Not only did she know I'd hit a wrong note, she knew which note it should have been.

Most people send their kids to professionals (school teachers) to learn readin' writin' and 'rithmetic, even though they themselves can read, write and do most basic arithmetic, so why not other subjects too.

Old 05-17-2014, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_J View Post
I do know I once started to teach a kid how to use a clutch on a car... I suddenly realized it was all "automatic" to me and I did not realize exactly what I was doing to operate the clutch - could not put it into words. I had to stop and think about exactly WHAT I was doing when I pressed the clutch - like to back up slowly (I don't just let the clutch out and go zipping backwards!)
Interesting example.

Last edited by MerriMAC; 05-17-2014 at 09:37 AM..

Old 05-17-2014, 09:28 AM

5,478 posts, read 4,552,683 times
I agree , kids do learn from other people because it is not a familiar environment.
Though my wife could read music and could not play by ear, I played by ear and could not read music, my son learned guitar from some one else out of his choice to learn it .
My parents tried to get me into music, but neither one were into music them selves ,very little radio music either.
I enjoyed long haired music and very early hits front eh 20s - through 40s I never cared for rock and roll.
I didn't get into playing music till I was well into my 20s and it was a E flat silver clarinet I had to make a mouth piece from an axe handle and a borrowed reed and a hose clamp .
There was no one to teach me so I learned to play gospel hymns I knew by heart.
Playing by ear is fine but I never learn to read music because it is too easy to get around it under normal circumstances .
The problem is playing with others the depend on written music and don't tolerate well variations from the score.
I think my son can do both read music and play by ear.

Old 05-17-2014, 09:31 AM

4,009 posts, read 5,170,189 times
I think the biggest reason is that often a child will be more obedient, and listen to someone other than their parent more when it comes down to stuff like this. Sometimes, children learn things better from other people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or