Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2007, 07:39 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,168,876 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FedupWNY View Post
Starwars, Superman, Mario, Madden... racing, hockey (their cousin has a PS2, so they are pretty familiar with playing it).
Here's a few games that include many different games:

Megaman X Collections
Sonic Mega Collection
Sega Genesis Collections

Now, here's a few PS2 games they might enjoy:

Dark Cloud (semi-rpg style)
Soul Calibur 2 or 3 (fighting action)
Spyro (strategy)
Burn Out (racing)
Crash Bandicoot (strategy)

If they like the games based off of movies, the Harry Potter games are pretty good.

Now, a warning for the following awesome games. These games are games that steal children for hours. In most of these, I have spent 50+ hours to complete each one. They are Role Playing Games.

((It's also my favorite Genre of games))

Radiata Stories ((clocked 53 hours))
Final Fantasy X and XII ((300+ hours for the first, and currently 200+ for the second))
Kingdom Hearts 1 & 2 ((combined at around 200 or so hours))
Dragon Quest VIII ((over 80 hours on it))
Star Ocean: Till the End of Time ((I actually have over 1000 hours clocked on this..))

I hope some of these aid you getting some good games for your kids. When you're at the stores picking out games - if you have questions, just ask the associates.

I would also advise either playing the games as well - or watching your kids play. ((Like joining in Multi-player games))

Last edited by gallowsCalibrator; 03-05-2009 at 07:55 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2007, 07:49 PM

2,972 posts, read 8,213,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuharai View Post
I would also advise either playing the games as well - or watching your kids play. ((Like joining in Multi-player games))
I am so happy that you have posted so much video game knowledge to me, esp with games that take up so much time. As of this time last night I was a little lost. My friends recommended getting them their own memory cards.

I'm sure they would know more of the games they would like.

Our game units are in the living room, like the computer, always to be monitored.

Old 12-13-2007, 07:58 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,168,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FedupWNY View Post
I am so happy that you have posted so much video game knowledge to me, esp with games that take up so much time. As of this time last night I was a little lost. My friends recommended getting them their own memory cards.

I'm sure they would know more of the games they would like.

Our game units are in the living room, like the computer, always to be monitored.
Yeah.. my hubby and I have two memory cards a piece... Just for the PS2

I'm glad I could be of assistance with this. There are too many parents out there that dig themselves into the Video Game Hole without looking for assistance on what to look for and what to look out for.

I'm pretty sure it wouldn't surprise you that the average age of GTA players is actually 9.

Good luck with the system - and feel free to PM me if you need any other specific advise.

Old 12-13-2007, 08:20 PM

Thanks. There should be a video game forum here. (or maybe I over looked it)

Old 12-16-2007, 10:42 AM

788 posts, read 2,111,238 times
We actually just bought the ps3 for our boys to share for christmas this year and as I look over and watch my husband playing the ps2 I have to laugh!
Since the ps3 will now be for the boys the girls will inherit the ps2 and I just bought Dance Dance Revolution and Song Star for the girls. DDR is pretty popular with kids of all ages - check it out - it's good for the daily exercise!

Old 12-16-2007, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I love the Bears View Post
DDR is pretty popular with kids of all ages - check it out - it's good for the daily exercise!
I thought about DDR too as a gift to share, but I thought with the amount of games out there, they wouldn't get bored as easily with the PS2.

Old 12-16-2007, 07:27 PM

788 posts, read 2,111,238 times
DDR is a game for PS2 i just bought it for $59.99 at Best buy

Old 12-16-2007, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I love the Bears View Post
DDR is a game for PS2 i just bought it for $59.99 at Best buy
See how much I don't know about this PS2 stuff? I'm glad I created this thread. The last game system we bought was N64.

Old 12-17-2007, 12:29 PM

4,564 posts, read 10,954,027 times
I bought DDR kind of for myself - Xbox 360 version. I guess I need to give it more of a chance. I didn't really like it. My problem is the music - it's techno club type music that all sounds the same after a while. The mat also moves around a lot and it seems very picky - you might hit the arrow but if you hit in the exact spot on the arrow it doesn't give you a good score. We got frustrated after a while.
Kids being kids though, mine son and his cousins found a different, entertaining way to play it. They use the hand controllers. That produced some good laughs at least.
It's definitely a game geared more towards girls I think. Or maybe, since my son seems to have no rhythm at all, that's why he hasn't really shown any interest. It also appears I also lack rhythm.....

Old 12-17-2007, 12:35 PM

1,594 posts, read 5,282,141 times
Wow, I thought I was the only mom out there playing video games with my kids. At least I am the only one in my group of friends. I love the sonic games and the best one ever is Viva Pinata but I don't know if they make that for the PS2.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting