U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2007, 08:33 PM

2,972 posts, read 7,338,713 times

Advertisements

This is probably the best location to begin this thread. I have 3 teenagers, this year's Christmas gift (to share) is the PS2 that we purchased today. While technology advances everyday, thank goodness we have preached on waiting for the price to come down. They would love to have everything new out there, we (as parents) know better on how to manage money wisely first. They don't know this will be under the tree with all of their names on it but I know they will love it without replacing our N64 system as they still like playing Super Mario. lol.

The request is advice. What are any "do's and don'ts"? What (if any) problems are we to expect, other than telling them it's time to turn it off ?

What is good about the unit?

Store bought games or taking chances on Ebay?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2007, 09:00 PM

9,483 posts, read 10,718,979 times
We have had no problems at all with ours, our kids are allowed 30 minutes a day.

I like that there is so, so much they can do. For instance, The Simpsons Road Rage game is like a small city that they drive through, and sometimes I watch and swear I dont see the same street twice.

I buy all our games new, from the locked cabinet at Walmart or Kmart. I have never taken a chance on ebay for anything.

Just bought my son Madden 08, got Smackdown vs. Raw 08 for my daughter who loves wrestling, and my youngest girl got Ed, Ed and Eddy. The prices were $50, $50, and $14.99 respectively.

Old 12-12-2007, 09:36 PM

2,467 posts, read 11,119,300 times
I have bought games through ebay without issue, but I would also recommend game stores in your area that sell used games. They are usually cheap and have a 30 day return policy in case the game doesn't work. A few are EBGamez and Game Stop.

Old 12-12-2007, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessiegirl_98 View Post
I have bought games through ebay without issue, but I would also recommend game stores in your area that sell used games. They are usually cheap and have a 30 day return policy in case the game doesn't work. A few are EBGamez and Game Stop.
EBGamez and Game Stop are two stores in our area where my children can give driving directions to 3 locations of each. I laughed when reading your reply thinking "why didn't I think of that?"

Quote:
I buy all our games new, from the locked cabinet at Walmart or Kmart. I have never taken a chance on ebay for anything.
The only problem I've had with a purchase on Ebay was a DVD of bootleg/copied 80's music videos. I got it for the opening bid (very cheap, should have known then), the recording quality was great, fast shipping.... so I didn't complain. That's not here nor there though.

I'd prefer buying games brand new from a (chain) store sealed in package, but any games we bought used on Ebay have always been what they were listed as and no problems.

So let me ask this, is PS2 still a good investment? or will it be out-dated (hard to find games, etc) within a year?

Old 12-13-2007, 04:58 AM

1,594 posts, read 4,802,899 times
I asked my husband to buy me one for Christmas...well for the whole family really. We have a Xbox 360 and it has absolutely no games for children and very few for teenagers IMO. The PS3 is the same right now. The Wii is impossible to find so the PS2 is the best thing out there for the money. You can buy brand new games for under $40 but the other consoles games are all around $60. Plus you can get the older games for super cheap. Also, they are still making new games for the PS2 which proves that it is not obsolete. I think you made the best choice!

Old 12-13-2007, 05:23 AM

10,716 posts, read 31,030,974 times
I shop at Gamestop for my new and used games. You can get them at a discount AND they stand by the item if there is something wrong with it. You can also reserve new items coming out by putting a small amount down that way you don't have to wait in line.

If you go to www.gamestop.com they will give you a list of stores in your area plus you can shop online as well.

My daughter knows the rules, she does her home work first, then any chores she has around the house, she is grounded from all video games if her grades dip below a certain point. I don't have to worry about her staying in too much because she loves to go out, ride her scooter and play with her friends but I do understand that is a problem with some kids.

Old 12-13-2007, 06:02 AM

118 posts, read 577,786 times
gametop and EB games are great for new and used.

Old 12-13-2007, 07:30 AM

2,489 posts, read 6,449,698 times
Watch out playing a lot of movies on it though. Our family burned through one doing that so when we replaced it we didn't use it for that anymore. PS2 is great for kids. You should be able to find lots of age appropriate games for it.

Old 12-13-2007, 07:38 AM

8,323 posts, read 13,145,091 times
I actually don't advise going to EB's or Gamestop (owned by the same parent company, btw) for games. Try to find a local game store. Seriously. Local game stores have lower prices, better staff, and (most of the time) have some of the most knowledgable people in terms of getting appropriate games.

For instance, in Va Bch, we have a store called Cool Stuff. A game that GS or EBs would have bought for $5 and sold for $19 was bought by Cool Stuff for $7 and sold for $15.

Ebay is actually good place to get games as well - just make sure to check the reputation of the seller. I picked up a brand new (still sealed!) copy of Legend of Dragoon (PS1 game) for a mere $2.49 ($2 shipping)- even at Cool stuff, a used copy is around $7

Here's a tip for children though. As a parent, before you buy any game - make sure to research it thoroughly. Now, if your kid does pick out something on a whim at the store, I'd actually advise that YOU play it to ensure that the game is age appropriate.

I've actually heard a person yell at a Wal-Mart Customer Service Person because she didn't realize GTA used the "F" word at least 12 times in the first five minutes until 4 months AFTER giving it to her son. She found out when he used the word.

Old 12-13-2007, 09:58 AM

This is all good advice. Thank you all.

The EB & GS's in our are very good on their exchange policies, customer service. We've picked up GameBoy games both new and used. Thanks for the advice on the PS2 games with inapporpriate language. Mine are teenagers and there are no little children in the house to over-hear & repeat.

Thanks for information on not playing DVD's in the unit. We have two DVD players in the house, so their PS2 will be just for gaming only.

We have other game systems, N64, Gabe cube - (hand-held GameBoy's) and we limit their playing time to the weekends only. When grounded, the video games are first taken away.

Anymore advice is still appreciated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting